Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheels on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
If you're interested in doing this, it's not going to be easy folks. The 19" and 20" Model Y wheels are 9.5 wide and ET45. You could put 265-wide rubber on these, and have the same diameter, but those offsets are going to put the inner wheel and tire super close to the front knuckle. I wouldn't plan on it. You'll need spacers (and spacers suck).

The easiest might be the 21x9.5 wheels, but it'll be close. They won't work unless you run rubberband 30 ratio tires and go to a larger diameter. It might be possible to use 255/30R21 tires on the 21x9.5 front Uberturbines without spacers and without rubbing the knuckle. Four tires, including P Zeros and PS4S, are available in those sizes from Tirerack.com. Those 255/30R21 tires are 1.9% larger diameter than the 235/35R20 OE tires and 0.7% larger than the Track Pack 245/35R20 tires. Who's going to be the first to try?

Pg 194 from the Model Y Owners Manual:
tesla-model-y-wheel-tire-size.jpg

My Photoshopped version with 21" Uberturbines. If you try this, I hope your roads are smooth!
M3 Uber.jpg

I hope this is the best place to post this question and re-ignite this thread. I recently added a Model Y to our existing Model 3 fleet ;). My Model 3 has the standard 18" wheels and the Model Y has the standard 19" wheels. From everything I am finding, the 19" wheels (Gemini) currently on the Model Y cannot be put on the Model 3 because firstly the Model Y Gemini wheels are wider 19x9.5, vs the 19x8.5 recommended size for Model 3 and they would also require different tires to decrease the diameter to make them compatible. I am interested in upgrading the Model y wheels to an aftermarket wheel that is gloss black to complement the black paint on our Model Y. I was thinking it would maybe be a nice performance upgrade to just move the Gemini wheels to the Model 3 since they are larger/wider, but sounds like it would also require spacers and maybe not even fit? Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: CarPortal
I was thinking it would maybe be a nice performance upgrade to just move the Gemini wheels to the Model 3 since they are larger/wider, but sounds like it would also require spacers and maybe not even fit? Thanks for the insight.
The 19” Gemini/Apollo wheels will fit on a Model 3. I would look at 265/35R19 tires to match the stock Model 3 diameter and fit the 9.5” width. The math says that combo will be ~20mm closer to the knuckle and thus would require a 20mm spacer for stock inboard clearance. With that spacer, the tire outside edge will be ~30mm further outboard.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

The extra width will help traction but reduce efficiency. With the Gemini caps, the affect on efficiency might be a wash though when compared with other 19x9.5 wheel options, which likely prioritize brake cooling.

Slightly confused I know a guy selling his Model Y stock rims and tires. I need tires on my M3 will I be able to bolt on the stock MY rims?

You may run into backspacing issues with the upper control arm knuckles on the Model 3 as you'll effectively have 18mm less clearance on the inside from stock Model 3 wheels. Also, 9.5 width will require you to run at least a 255, so that doesn't help with the situation either. I feel like it's more work than I'd like to go through to run OEM MY wheels on an M3.

So looks like titan 7 now has 20 x 9.5 et 35 wheels for the Model Y. Wondering how well those would work on a model 3 with 255/35/20 PS4s tires.

Also wondering how much they weight as they are probably higher load rating. But that also me less likelihood of bending.

So looks like titan 7 now has 20 x 9.5 et 35 wheels for the Model Y. Wondering how well those would work on a model 3 with 255/35/20 PS4s tires.

Also wondering how much they weight as they are probably higher load rating. But that also me less likelihood of bending.

We've just became an official Titan 7 Stockist recently. Message me if you want to entertain the idea. ;)

Haven't cataloged that spec yet but I don't see why those specs wouldn't work on a Model 3. It's actually more ideal than their staggered 20" suggestion. The only thing I would need to confirm is the load rating. However, the load rating should be backwards compatible with Model 3.

I would run 265/30/20 tire for proper diameter size though.

Danny

Last edited: