Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y windows on Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time I saw the Model Y top windows....my desires from March 31'st 2016 were rebirthed.

The Model Y has the exact configuration that I hoped for on March 31st 2016.

That gigantic center window on the top of the Y is outstanding. Sure...I love my model 3 and its windows. Model 3's windows aren't anything to complain about - they are beautiful, however.... IMHO....all of the top windows on the model Y are perfect.

Very few people have the opportunity to enjoy that beautiful rear glass on the Model 3 while the car is moving. I believe the inhabitants of the Model Y will have more of an opportunity to enjoy that single piece of glass without the B pillar post.

I wonder if the model 3 will ever employ the Model Y's top center glass.

slide2-jpg.387403

slide3-jpg.387404

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
The placement of the cross member on Model 3 is to ensure good headroom for read occupants. Having just glass directly above your head makes a huge difference as I can attest to owning both a Model 3 and a Model S where the rear headroom suffers a bit from the cross member. Model Y being taller overall didn’t need that cross member being placed in front where Model 3 has it to achieve good headroom I suspect

Reactions: Pkmmte
The Model 3 needs to become a hatchback like it should have been from the start. It would make the current gen seem outdated though. They could offer both.

Indeed.

I would trade in my P3D+ for a P3D+ hatchback with that beautiful window on the top.

I would trade it in in a heartbeat.

I can't figure out why the Model 3 wasn't a hatchback from the start. I'm not sure what the advantage is for it to NOT be a hatchback - like the Model S and Y.

Is it because Elon got mad and couldn't get the letter "E" from Ford? So when he turned the E backwards he also turned the window configuration backwards? lol ( naah. that would have been stupid ).

I just can't figure it out. Safety?

I hope the Model Y isn't less safe that the Model 3 with its cross members being so far away.
I hope the Model Y doesn't respond like a convertible - in an accident. Naahhh….I'm sure they crash tested the Model Y over and over.

I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
Indeed.

I would trade in my P3D+ for a P3D+ hatchback with that beautiful window on the top.

I just can't figure it out.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that manufacturing a car with that large a pane of glass is difficult. Remember, Tesla had never really mass-manufactured before. I'm sure some things hit the cutting floor so they could get to market.

The Y is pretty much what the 3 should've been from day 1. And yes - I agree with you wholeheartedly -- that glass is gorgeous. Can't wait to see it in person; might even be better than a Model X. Which is impressive as all get-out.

I'm also not concerned about safety; believe it or not, a glass roof is typically structurally more sound than a metal one. It feels weird to say that, but once you see how thin the sheet metal roof is, it makes sense.