Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modeling Solar + Tesla PowerWall Arbitrage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a lot of confusion in the marketplace on this topic. Until recently, it was nearly impossible to correctly model the financial benefits of adding a PowerWall to an existing Solar PV (photovoltaic) system. But now it’s possible, using “intraval data” and software from Energy Toolbase.

While in “self-consumption” mode, the PowerWall has the ability to leverage “time of use” structures to create a financial arbitrage – under the right conditions. If you live in SCE territory, already have Solar – and are considering adding Tesla’s PowerWall, I’d be happy to “model” it for you at no charge.

The PowerWall is not for everyone, but it can certainly be used for financial gains vs. just backup. Email me at [email protected] with the heading of “Modeling Solar + Tesla PowerWall Arbitrage”, if you live within SCE territory, have PV and want to better understand how you may be able to “super-charge” your PV system by adding a Tesla PowerWall – again at no charge…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-09 18.01.45.png
    Screenshot 2018-03-09 18.01.45.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2018-03-09 18.02.25.png
    Screenshot 2018-03-09 18.02.25.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 95
In short: We took Keith up on his offer and are pleased with the deliverable. The report will show whether or not the system being considered makes financial sense.

More detail: Based on the PV Solar System and Energy Storage System (PowerWall) that we are installing, Keith was able to show Monthly Energy Use vs. Solar Generation, Detailed Energy Output and Demand Savings from our proposed PV Solar and Energy Storage Systems. And more importantly, a comparison of our current (no PV Solar) Electric Bill and the New Electric Bill (with PV Solar and Energy Storage System).

The report Keith provides is easy to understand and professionally presented. When considering a PV Solar System and an Energy Storage System, or adding an ESS to your existing PV Solar System, we recommend you get the system configuration modeled by Keith. And you cannot beat the price!

Yes, “Time-based control” is available. I am on Net Metering 1.0 so this option does not really buy me anything. I got the Powerwalls to be more self sufficient and to keep the house powered up during power outages. We did have a six hour outage recently and everything worked as it was suppose too.

Yes, “Time-based control” is available. I am on Net Metering 1.0 so this option does not really buy me anything. I got the Powerwalls to be more self sufficient and to keep the house powered up during power outages. We did have a six hour outage recently and everything worked as it was suppose too.

@SoCalDude - Do you have Solar? If so, who is your electric provider?