Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ModelS with 85kw battery for 49k on ebay: needs repair work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think its GasDoc's car as that was a 60.
When your airbags go off...

In college I made the mistake of buying a damaged car without carefully identifying every damaged component - ended up being too expensive to repair and I lost a lot on it. And even if this Tesla was repaired perfectly its lost 1/3 of its resale value at least with a Salvage title.
Yes, this is a very poor deal at the current price.

I was looking to bid on this car when it was going through the Auto Auctions. Could have had it for 27k. At least, it appears to be the same vehicle. Location is right, pictures look correct. If it is, it would have taken quite a bit to repair. I wanted it for the battery, to swap my 60kw for a 85kw, and then just sell off my 60kw battery.

I was looking to bid on this car when it was going through the Auto Auctions. Could have had it for 27k. At least, it appears to be the same vehicle. Location is right, pictures look correct. If it is, it would have taken quite a bit to repair. I wanted it for the battery, to swap my 60kw for a 85kw, and then just sell off my 60kw battery.

but there are technical limitations more than just the battery that prevents a 60 to be upgraded to an 85. theres more wiring connections etc plus software that would need to be updated too AFAIK

Eew, nightmare car. Nice job with the mix n match blue and gray panels, screwed up suspension, missing bits of chassis and airbag deployments, and that's just from what can be seen in the photos. No way is it worth anything like $50k for a salvage title. There's $20-30k of work to (maybe) get it roadworthy, but then you've lost at least 25% off the price as it was/is salvage. At best there's $15-20k of scrap value in it (I'm assuming the battery isn't really re-salable, from a warranty-preservation point of view.

Nasty. Avoid!

It looks like a somebody bolted a black front bumper cover and a blue front fender on the same grey car. Lipstick on a pig.

Exactly, looks like a new (to this car) hood, front bumper and nose cone and then a big price jump. Non repairable title, probably no support from Tesla for a price of 50k? For an extra 20k you could get a brand new 60 from Tesla with warranty!