Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an observation -- I went over to Rennlist.com to see what's happening over there, and they are running vBulletin 3.9!*

I'm really not joking when I say that using that vBulletin forum compared to Xenforo here is like going back and driving my ICE BMW M5. It's a really great car which it has worked amazingly well for 16 years, and was the best sports sedan on the market in 2002. But in no way can it compare to a Performance Model S!

* vBulletin 3.9.x is a custom written version developed by Internet Brands who owns Rennlist.com
** This is not a comment on, about, or relating in any way, to the OP

AWD Come on man listen to yourself
"I am new to TESLA"
BUT I don't want to hear from any of you who know what you are talking about! I want a $70k for 40k you are all jerks! dude get real.

dude, my car meets your specs, except for mileage and AP1. It has 65k miles on it and is blue booked at $47k... AP1 and under 40k miles is well over $55-65k on the actual market, not make believe land.

As for as having as much room as your Sienna, not a chance. this is a sedan, I have 3 kids as well, it travels well but not comparable to the space of a Sienna...

AWD... not going to say anything about the reality of your search but one thing you might want to look into is your state laws regarding private sale vehicles. I learned that in Nevada along with Arizona and a few other states that there is zero sales tax on a private party sale... for me this allowed me to "add" that sales tax expense into a higher base price limit...if you have not investigated that it might be worth looking into...

also IMHO a family of 5 can very easily fit into a Model S without a RFS... I have had 5 adults in my car many many times with plenty of room... Also there are some people that have purchased cars without and were able to have their service center install one... I have heard of it done and I have heard of service centers not wanting to do it so do the research but that could open up some other options as well...

Next..unless you are diving over 150+ miles per day a 60 would work for you... have you really analysed your current daily driving mileage? range anxiety is real for sure but the 60 works for the majority of people and would likely work for you... track you daily mileage for a week or 2 and see how far you are really traveling in a day.... and as far as long trips superchargers are close enough together to not be an issue.

Maybe you can find a 13' or 14' 60 without AP in the low 40s but an 85 with AP is simply not going to happen. AP1 according to many here still works as well or BETTER than AP2 so those that have AP1 cars are not motivated to move to an AP2 car any time soon.

lastly... again in my humble opinion stay away from dealers and consider buying the extended warranty... things don't go wrong often but when they do it can add up very quickly... would hate for you to barely get into a car and spend $800 getting a door handle replaced at your own expense... any vehicle that has gone through a dealership is no longer eligible for additional warranty... for me the extra cost was worth the piece of mind... if you are pushing your budget to get into one repairs can take you down... there are some threads here that talk about specific repairs and repair cost that you might want to look into... just to be as educated as possible...

I wish you the best of luck with your search... I looked for about 6 months before I found mine at the right price but right now in this market there are 3 Teslas you can get for around 40K..

a high mileage non AP 60 (2012-2013) maybe a 14'
a slightly newer a salvage title car... with no warranty
OR
My kids car referral... for only $400... white, updated fascia, but the down side is it tops out a 6 mph, doesn't have much range and it not good on those rainy days...ROFL... for 2K you could get one for each family member...

Kidding aside... would be happy to help... and hopefully i gave you a few things to think about...

Good Luck

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
AWD... not going to say anything about the reality of your search but one thing you might want to look into is your state laws regarding private sale vehicles.

I wish you the best of luck with your search... I looked for about 6 months before I found mine at the right price but right now in this market there are 3 Teslas you can get for around 40K..

My kids car referral... for only $400... white, updated fascia, but the down side is it tops out a 6 mph, doesn't have much range and it not good on those rainy days...ROFL... for 2K you could get one for each family member...

Kidding aside... would be happy to help... and hopefully i gave you a few things to think about...

Good Luck
/thread

Reactions: DrMike
AWD... not going to say anything about the reality of your search but one thing you might want to look into is your state laws regarding private sale vehicles. I learned that in Nevada along with Arizona and a few other states that there is zero sales tax on a private party sale... for me this allowed me to "add" that sales tax expense into a higher base price limit...if you have not investigated that it might be worth looking into...

also IMHO a family of 5 can very easily fit into a Model S without a RFS... I have had 5 adults in my car many many times with plenty of room... Also there are some people that have purchased cars without and were able to have their service center install one... I have heard of it done and I have heard of service centers not wanting to do it so do the research but that could open up some other options as well...

Next..unless you are diving over 150+ miles per day a 60 would work for you... have you really analysed your current daily driving mileage? range anxiety is real for sure but the 60 works for the majority of people and would likely work for you... track you daily mileage for a week or 2 and see how far you are really traveling in a day.... and as far as long trips superchargers are close enough together to not be an issue.

Maybe you can find a 13' or 14' 60 without AP in the low 40s but an 85 with AP is simply not going to happen. AP1 according to many here still works as well or BETTER than AP2 so those that have AP1 cars are not motivated to move to an AP2 car any time soon.

lastly... again in my humble opinion stay away from dealers and consider buying the extended warranty... things don't go wrong often but when they do it can add up very quickly... would hate for you to barely get into a car and spend $800 getting a door handle replaced at your own expense... any vehicle that has gone through a dealership is no longer eligible for additional warranty... for me the extra cost was worth the piece of mind... if you are pushing your budget to get into one repairs can take you down... there are some threads here that talk about specific repairs and repair cost that you might want to look into... just to be as educated as possible...

a high mileage non AP 60 (2012-2013) maybe a 14'
a slightly newer a salvage title car... with no warranty
OR

Good Luck

Mark, 100% value added. Well said and thank you.

—-

With regard to the rest, all I can say is good grief.

Read my OP and chill. Depreciation does exist and I will not pay a private party individual retail, that’s just silly and lining their pocket. With regard to “must haves,” it’s all relative and so is our “around $40k” budget. Qualification, “around.”

Thanks, happy PM’ing or garbaging up a (my, if I may...) thread with a bunch of junk. I don’t own this thread, but I am the OP and I made a respectful request for any other data to be PM’d, multiple times.

Again, thanks, if for nothing more than amusement.

Last, the market is in a bubble, you can go ahead and keep verbally inflating it or actually do some research and apply that truth. If that means waiting for reality/supply and demand to align, so be it.

am i reading this right? max sales tax is $475?.. Oklahoma is OK

upload_2018-1-29_13-55-31.png

Last, the market is in a bubble, you can go ahead and keep verbally inflating it or actually do some research and apply that truth..

Please show us your research and "truth" that the market is in a bubble. You even said in your first post:

Thank you, new to Tesla,

Versus many of us who have been following the used Tesla market daily for three years now.

But we are the delusional ones. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Buddyroe
Sure. I guess your context is just phenomenally different from everyone else's.

You make comments like this:
d I will not pay a private party individual retail, that’s just silly and lining their pocket

On the flip side, nobody is going to sell you a car well below dealer trade-in because that's just silly, and lining your pocket. There's this cool thing in "Economics" called "Supply and Demand" where a market price is set at an equilibrium, where both the seller and the buyer agree on a price. It seems you just want the "Demand" side of that and to be able to set your own price. Unless you have a monopoly on demand (i.e. you're the only buyer of used Teslas), that's never going to happen, no matter how much you cry that the market is a bubble and we're all inflating the prices just by talking about it. I didn't know we had that much power in the market to move prices like that when we're not even selling anything!

Yeah, Tesla has been busy adding about 40-50 newly listed CPOs this afternoon.

The good deals don't last long at all. That certainly says something about the current supply, demand, and market equilibrium.

As long as people are willing to pay those prices, nobody in their right mind would be selling at such a huge discount (i.e. loss) as the OP wishes.

Mark, 100% value added. Well said and thank you.

—-

With regard to the rest, all I can say is good grief.

Read my OP and chill. Depreciation does exist and I will not pay a private party individual retail, that’s just silly and lining their pocket. With regard to “must haves,” it’s all relative and so is our “around $40k” budget. Qualification, “around.”

Thanks, happy PM’ing or garbaging up a (my, if I may...) thread with a bunch of junk. I don’t own this thread, but I am the OP and I made a respectful request for any other data to be PM’d, multiple times.

Again, thanks, if for nothing more than amusement.

Last, the market is in a bubble, you can go ahead and keep verbally inflating it or actually do some research and apply that truth. If that means waiting for reality/supply and demand to align, so be it.

I have honestly never seen a person respond so negatively and snarkily to people giving him helpful advice. You said you were new to Teslas. Next time just start off by saying "I'm new to Teslas but I don't care if reality doesn't match my expectations, I prefer to keep my head in the sand. Don't bother trying to educate me".

It will save all of us a lot of time from trying to help you out.

• Love
Reactions: Don TLR and Olds442
I have honestly never seen a person respond so negatively and snarkily to people giving him helpful advice. You said you were new to Teslas. Next time just start off by saying "I'm new to Teslas but I don't care if reality doesn't match my expectations, I prefer to keep my head in the sand. Don't bother trying to educate me".

It will save all of us a lot of time from trying to help you out.
100% agree!! I’ve been looking for a great deal on a Tesla for months. Checking online daily and have a pretty decent grasp on what’s available and what different years/features cost. I could not believe when I read this thread what an ass this guy was when ppl replied to his post asking for help and they let him know his must haves and price point don’t align with reality.

Tip: Don’t ask for help if you’re going to lash out at people when they try and educate you on the reality of what your “must haves” will cost. They are trying to help keep you from wasting your time or realign expectations. I guess our first clue that you’re nuts should have been when you mentioned wanting a model s as comparable space to a sienna!