Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications to car made since delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I've seen all the pictures... you are very talented and brave!
I've done work on other cars, but I always fear destroying a panel trying to take it apart, just to get to the electrical.
How'd you know what to do? That detector and jammer installation is very nice!

The T lighting is awesome and probably my favorite and so is the LED lighting for the frunk and trunk.
I didn't see an "instructions and needed items link" for those (if you have it).

Either way, well done on making it unique, yet classy.
The only thing I've done (HAD DONE FOR ME) was the rims, and tint.
Although I can claim, when I had bad curb rash on the lip of one wheel.
I took a grinder and smooth it out and then with another softer wheel, I made it look like new.
The shop said it couldn't be done. :)

Awesome mods.

O-ring around tires - Did you have to rebalance the tires after installation? I like this mod, because I suck at parking - constantly damage my rims from going to close to the curb.

Puddle lamp projectors with Tesla emblem is so cool. I feel safe like I'm in Gotham when looking at those circular lights, because Batman should be around the corner :)

Now that I've seen all the pictures... you are very talented and brave!
I've done work on other cars, but I always fear destroying a panel trying to take it apart, just to get to the electrical.
How'd you know what to do? That detector and jammer installation is very nice!

The T lighting is awesome and probably my favorite and so is the LED lighting for the frunk and trunk.
I didn't see an "instructions and needed items link" for those (if you have it).

Either way, well done on making it unique, yet classy.
The only thing I've done (HAD DONE FOR ME) was the rims, and tint.
Although I can claim, when I had bad curb rash on the lip of one wheel.
I took a grinder and smooth it out and then with another softer wheel, I made it look like new.
The shop said it couldn't be done. :)

This does require a certain initial bravado in taking things apart, but the Tesla is assembled just like any other car, so it turns out to be pretty easy and risk-free in most cases. I haven't posted instructions for the LED strips but I'll do so this weekend -- it's one of the easier things to do.

I'd like more info about how you fixed the curb rash -- I did some minor cosmetic damage to my 21" rims before I installed the protection and would like to fix them.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome mods.

O-ring around tires - Did you have to rebalance the tires after installation? I like this mod, because I suck at parking - constantly damage my rims from going to close to the curb.

Puddle lamp projectors with Tesla emblem is so cool. I feel safe like I'm in Gotham when looking at those circular lights, because Batman should be around the corner :)

The o-rings do not affect balance as the weight is very evenly distributed around the tire. But if if you're doing an alignment they have to be removed for the instruments that attach to the rims.

The puddle lamps do get attention at night, kind of like "does the Tesla come with that? Cool."

I'd like more info about how you fixed the curb rash -- I did some minor cosmetic damage to my 21" rims before I installed the protection and would like to fix them."

My wheels are Soleil LXM 1.
I'm probably wrong, but the 21s that come with Tesla look like they're painted or finished.
With the Soleil's, the rims (that I have) are black interior with silver facing out.
And because the silver just looked like polished metal, I figured I could take a grinder to it.

The damage was only on the lip of the rim, so I used electrical tape to quickly tape off the tires and spokes..just a minimal amount that was very near the curb rash. Even so it was gnarly. It looked like an irritated beaver on meth started chomping on my rim.

The grinding disc that I used (a blue one from lowes) on the angle grinder was for stainless steel. It won't cut anything but it will level out marks and even gouges. I just took it slow and at a very gentle angle where the face of the grinder wheel was looking at the rim. The rash was probably a foot around one part of the rim. I probably took 4 or 5 slow passes around the rim, pushing just enough to see the abrasions start to lessen from gouges to marks to flatness. And within 5 minutes, I was done with that and you couldn't tell there was ever rash unless you looked very very close.

Then I got a polishing wheel that are typical on bench grinders, but can be found at some hardware stores and attached it to a regular drill. And I buffed it to a shine to blend it back with the undamaged area. Again, THREE wheelshops said the tires would have to be taken off and it would be probably $250. It cost me $10 for a polishing SS wheel and I just did it with the car in my garage. SORRY this is sooo long.

My wheels are Soleil LXM 1.
I'm probably wrong, but the 21s that come with Tesla look like they're painted or finished.
With the Soleil's, the rims (that I have) are black interior with silver facing out.
And because the silver just looked like polished metal, I figured I could take a grinder to it.

The damage was only on the lip of the rim, so I used electrical tape to quickly tape off the tires and spokes..just a minimal amount that was very near the curb rash. Even so it was gnarly. It looked like an irritated beaver on meth started chomping on my rim.

The grinding disc that I used (a blue one from lowes) on the angle grinder was for stainless steel. It won't cut anything but it will level out marks and even gouges. I just took it slow and at a very gentle angle where the face of the grinder wheel was looking at the rim. The rash was probably a foot around one part of the rim. I probably took 4 or 5 slow passes around the rim, pushing just enough to see the abrasions start to lessen from gouges to marks to flatness. And within 5 minutes, I was done with that and you couldn't tell there was ever rash unless you looked very very close.

Then I got a polishing wheel that are typical on bench grinders, but can be found at some hardware stores and attached it to a regular drill. And I buffed it to a shine to blend it back with the undamaged area. Again, THREE wheelshops said the tires would have to be taken off and it would be probably $250. It cost me $10 for a polishing SS wheel and I just did it with the car in my garage. SORRY this is sooo long.

Thanks, Yes the 21" Tesla are painted, powder coated I'm sure.

Just when I thought there were no more mods I could make I found this beautiful, well-made stainless steel dead pedal/foot rest. It's hard to tell from the photo but the foot surface is burnished and the outer right side beautifully polished. It was $75. I'll install it over the weekend (as it's done with double sided tape it will be very easy to do).

DSC_5638.jpg

I'll add this to the original post below. If you're interested in this PM me and I'll provide the source where I found it.

Last edited:
Why don't you just post the source instead of having everyone PM you on it? For those that just want to go directly to the source, here it is: Footrest Dead Pedal

Just when I thought there were no more mods I could make I found this beautiful, well-made stainless steel dead pedal/foot rest. It's hard to tell from the photo but the foot surface is burnished and the outer right side beautifully polished. It was $75. I'll install it over the weekend (as it's done with double sided tape it will be very easy to do).

View attachment 61204

I'll add this to the original post below. If you're interested in this PM me and I'll provide the source where I found it.

artsci - WOW. Just amazing stuff. Thanks so much for sharing your trophy list - I'm taking delivery in December, and am inspired to do a few more things to my baby than I previously thought was possible! (well, actually having other, more capable people doing them for me, but still)

artsci - WOW. Just amazing stuff. Thanks so much for sharing your trophy list - I'm taking delivery in December, and am inspired to do a few more things to my baby than I previously thought was possible! (well, actually having other, more capable people doing them for me, but still)

Thanks NoMoDinos. Your response got me to thinking how much I enjoy working on the Model S. I've been modding my cars since I bought my first E-type long ago. ICEs are a whole different and not very pleasant experience: lousy smells, filth from grease and oil, gasoline vapor, busted leaky hoses, vacuum issues with the emissions controls, spark plugs -- the list is a mile long. I won't ever go back to the age of fossil fuel dinosaurs. Once you go Tesla electric there's no going back.