Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a question for Tesla once I get invited to configure, but does anyone know if it's possible to modify your configuration before taking delivery? My delivery estimator currently says Dec-Feb for the LR, so it's looking very possible that I could get invited to configure before the end of the year. I'm planning on configuring a SR, but I'm due for a promotion in January that could make the LR a much more comfortable option financially. I'm wondering if it would be possible to change my SR configuration to a LR if I do it before my car starts being assembled, even though that would probably push my LR delivery back.

I may have answered my own question. After reading the FAQ for the umpteenth time, it looks like if there's a good chance I could get a LR I should just wait to configure until January, but if I want to get a SR as soon as possible, I should configure as soon as I am able.

It would still be good to know if it is possible to modify configurations just in case I can have the best of both worlds.

This is the message I have seen posted elsewhere. "If you would like to make a change it may affect your delivery date and may be subject to a fee.", and that there is not even a grace period like there was with the S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: mrongey
My delivery estimator currently says Dec-Feb for the LR, so it's looking very possible that I could get invited to configure before the end of the year. I'm planning on configuring a SR, but I'm due for a promotion in January that could make the LR a much more comfortable option financially. I'm wondering if it would be possible to change my SR configuration to a LR if I do it before my car starts being assembled, even though that would probably push my LR delivery back.
In all likelihood SR won't be available until the Feb - Mar time frame so you may not even be able to configure one when you get invited.

I'm curious what the difference is between clicking Hold My Place, and just doing nothing.

Good question.

We also have the option to exercise a 6-month deferral per the reservation paperwork (circa 3/31/2016 at least). Presumably “hold my place” is some variant or refinement of that.

Also, what of the “something special” for line waiters from Day One?

Got my “configure now” email this morning. Am less than wholly compelled without confirmation of that last detail there.

I also do not believe that the Senate will have the votes to pass the tax bill and even if they do, the Senate version *keeps* the federal $7500 EV credit going forward into 2018 (and beyond as it halves and then quarters).

Nervous owners will appreciate the chance to configure now since there is a reference to “about 4 weeks” for production (ergo, delivery by year end so their tax credit is safe, period.)

Was surprised to get that email in the first place since I had indicated months ago a preference to wait for the AWD model now due Q3 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Good question.

We also have the option to exercise a 6-month deferral per the reservation paperwork (circa 3/31/2016 at least). Presumably “hold my place” is some variant or refinement of that.

Also, what of the “something special” for line waiters from Day One?

Got my “configure now” email this morning. Am less than wholly compelled without confirmation of that last detail there.

I also do not believe that the Senate will have the votes to pass the tax bill and even if they do, the Senate version *keeps* the federal $7500 EV credit going forward into 2018 (and beyond as it halves and then quarters).

Nervous owners will appreciate the chance to configure now since there is a reference to “about 4 weeks” for production (ergo, delivery by year end so their tax credit is safe, period.)

Was surprised to get that email in the first place since I had indicated months ago a preference to wait for the AWD model now due Q3 2018.
What's the likelihood that ordering today would actually get delivered by December 31st? I feel like it's cutting it way too close given Elon Standard Time for those counting on getting the tax credits for calendar year 2017. Guaranteeing the full tax credits might convince me to buy a Model 3 now, otherwise I would likely hold off to make sure they get any early production issues sorted out.

What's the likelihood that ordering today would actually get delivered by December 31st? I feel like it's cutting it way too close given Elon Standard Time for those counting on getting the tax credits for calendar year 2017. Guaranteeing the full tax credits might convince me to buy a Model 3 now, otherwise I would likely hold off to make sure they get any early production issues sorted out.

Sez 4 weeks in the configurator. Can always refuse delivery if they fail to meet eoy.

Again, the odds of the tax credit going away are low. And do you really want an eoy/eoq car in the first place? Been there, done that (twice). It’s been an adventure.

I have a friend who’s chomping at the bit to get his M3 mas rapido, for reasons that are not entirely rational.

As the song goes, people are strange.

As my corollary to that song goes: The power of FOMO is strong, yes. Resist it I shall. Yes. Hrmmm. (Yoda voice).

Sez 4 weeks in the configurator. Can always refuse delivery if they fail to meet eoy.

Again, the odds of the tax credit going away are low. And do you really want an eoy/eoq car in the first place? Been there, done that (twice). It’s been an adventure.

I have a friend who’s chomping at the bit to get his M3 mas rapido, for reasons that are not entirely rational.

As the song goes, people are strange.

As my corollary to that song goes: The power of FOMO is strong, yes. Resist it I shall. Yes. Hrmmm. (Yoda voice).
You can refuse delivery, but then you're out $2500 as I read it.

The tax credits might not be going away, but it's nice to receive them at the beginning of 2018 as opposed to waiting an additional year until the beginning of 2019.

You can refuse delivery, but then you're out $2500 as I read it.

The tax credits might not be going away, but it's nice to receive them at the beginning of 2018 as opposed to waiting an additional year until the beginning of 2019.

True re the deposit. $3500, no? It asks for $2500 at time of order and then references the entire deposit as being n/r. And since we already gave $1,000 a year and a half ago...

The way I drive, TCO goes up $10K over 3 years for any Model 3 due to supercharging costs.

Plus the 120K mike battery warranty isn’t compelling.

So back to an AP1 car I go.

That said, tax credit or no, once the $35K base model is ready, I have to believe that people will jump all over them - to the detriment of Leafs, Bolts, and i3s everywhere. That Model 3 will be the perfect in-town or 2nd car and won’t be awful for travel either. I think they nailed it.

I just watched a walkthrough of the design studio, and it looks like what I would want to do is defer delivery until January or February. It seems that I would then likely have the option to configure the LR or defer again to the SR.