Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded Mud Flaps on Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front flaps require you to screw in to the bottom of the car. I ended up jacking it up and put a dab of silicon on the screw before drilling into the bottom of the side skirt so that I could get a perfectly flat screw head in.
I didn't want to do it originally but it definitely makes the front flaps as secure as the rear.

Front flaps require you to screw in to the bottom of the car. I ended up jacking it up and put a dab of silicon on the screw before drilling into the bottom of the side skirt so that I could get a perfectly flat screw head in.
I didn't want to do it originally but it definitely makes the front flaps as secure as the rear.
WOW! Didn’t see that coming! :eek:

Last edited:

That's what I was going to do but I wasn't sure if it was hollow between the side skirt and the body/chassis or not. Definitely do not want to drill into any metal and potentially cause rust later (not sure which part of the chassis/body is steel and which is aluminum)

That's what I was going to do but I wasn't sure if it was hollow between the side skirt and the body/chassis or not. Definitely do not want to drill into any metal and potentially cause rust later (not sure which part of the chassis/body is steel and which is aluminum)

WOW! Didn’t see that coming! :eek:
When mine comes in, I'll be using about dime-sized glob of silicone adhesive at the screw hole to secure the flap ... too lazy to drill a hole, LOL.

• Love
Reactions: android04
When mine comes in, I'll be using about dime-sized glob of silicone adhesive at the screw hole to secure the flap ... too lazy to drill a hole, LOL.

Yeah, that's probably a better way to go, and no risk of creating a point for rust to start.

The hole that you drill for the front mud flaps is into plastic, not metal. The hole is made in the plastic wheel well liner. There is no need to protect it with silicone. Also, using silicone as an adhesive will probably not work for this application. It will probably come loose with vibration and your front flaps will start to flap in the wind when you drive.

The hole that you drill for the front mud flaps is into plastic, not metal. The hole is made in the plastic wheel well liner. There is no need to protect it with silicone. Also, using silicone as an adhesive will probably not work for this application. It will probably come loose with vibration and your front flaps will start to flap in the wind when you drive.

We're talking about the different type of mud guards. This particular design has a screw hole on the bottom of the guard which would require drilling into the side skirt of the car. However, without taking the side skirt of, we never know how much room there is between the side skirt and the chassis before we drill into metal causing rust issie

Also, using silicone as an adhesive will probably not work for this application. It will probably come loose with vibration and your front flaps will start to flap in the wind when you drive.
Just installed mine today ... with silicone adhesive; used more than a dime-sized glob, though, LOL. I'll keep an eye out on it and if need be, I'll use the included screws --- they seem kind of long, though.

BTW, found another source for this style of mud guards on Amazon, in stock, with only a couple days shipping available. This version looks like it also uses clips to attach the flaps to the fender flange, in addition to the typical attachment hardware:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WZK7FZ4/ref=twister_B07X5NQJDL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: jebinc
These look to be the same style. They're less expensive, but there's a long delivery time since it's coming from China:

https://www.amazon.com/XUKEY-Molded-2016-2019-Mudflaps-Mudguards/dp/B07W21THGQ

So these showed up today. It’s a good quality product but the fitment of the front flaps leaves a lot to be desired by me.

There is a sizable gap of a few mm between the edge of the front flap and the body of the vehicle. In my experience this will trap dirt, gravel and salt and ruin the paint in this area.

I will likely contact the Chinese seller for a refund/return.

• Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc and jebinc
I have the Xukey ones and cannot figure out how to remove the rear plastic nut, it spins but doesn't come off?

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_193704.jpg
    IMG_20191201_193704.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 92
Ordered a set of flaps on Amazon on Black Friday. Plan to install them on my 3 after I pick it up in a couple weeks, since I’ll be taking it for a Christmas road trip not long after! Since folks have been using these or similar for awhile now, anyone noticed significant range/efficiency loss?

I ordered them and installed last week. They look great. As far as I can tell, they seem to be doing what they supposed to do. All the leaves and debris are on the mudflaps.

Can't say anything about the range though. I put them on as soon as I bought the car.

I ordered a set off of Amazon as well. They fit surprisingly well. The front flaps required one screw to be drilled into the plastic fender liner, no big deal. All in all, they took about 20 minutes to install, and the fit is very good. My first impressions, driving through snowmelt indicates that they are good at keeping a small amount of spray off of the sides of the car. Prolonged dirt road driving, or driving down the highway in a snowstorm still results in a filthy vehicle (no cure for that...). Such is the life of a Vermont based car.

I recieved 2 sets of the amazon set and both sets didnt fit well. The molds had a gap that i wasnt happy with. Ended up spending a bit more money for the CF ones from protectmytesla. looks cleaner and much more stealth
IMG_5560.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: israndy