Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monterey Bay Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model 3 a couple weeks ago and wanted to have the windows tinted. I called the place that I normally take my cars to but they said they do not do work on Teslas. I called a couple places in the bay area that I have read about on this forum and I got a quote for $1500 and another for $2200.

Why is it so much more expensive to tint a model 3 vs a normal car like my silverado I had done for $200 a few months back?

Does anyone know of any places that can do it for a normal price or does everyone inflate the price because they are teslas?

Thanks,

Evan

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
I got my model 3 a couple weeks ago and wanted to have the windows tinted. I called the place that I normally take my cars to but they said they do not do work on Teslas. I called a couple places in the bay area that I have read about on this forum and I got a quote for $1500 and another for $2200.

Why is it so much more expensive to tint a model 3 vs a normal car like my silverado I had done for $200 a few months back?

Does anyone know of any places that can do it for a normal price or does everyone inflate the price because they are teslas?

Thanks,

Evan
Hey Evan, if you want to take a drive up the coast to Santa Clara we will tint your windows with our SunTek Ultimate Package which is our Ceramic film. We will do all of your windows except your front windshield for $700, the back piece will be in 1 piece and it is all computer cut.

Are you getting a quote for all the windows (side, rear windshield, sunroof, front windshield)?

They are charging more because it takes more time to tint the large back window and they have to be careful not to fry some ecu's at the bottom of the front windshield. They are also probably assuming you want non-metallic and higher level tint to reduce Infrared waves (ceramic or ceramic like films).

They are charging for premium films and more labor. If your silverado only cost $200, I'm assuming it would be a lower end film, maybe just a dyed film. 3m crystalline for all the windows, sunroof, and windshield is easily over 1k in CA. There are many shops that will do just the side windows for 300-500 with mid level films. You should do some research and find out what type of film you want for your model 3.

There is a bit of a Tesla tax, but not a huge difference from my experience.

Are you getting a quote for all the windows (side, rear windshield, sunroof, front windshield)?

They are charging more because it takes more time to tint the large back window and they have to be careful not to fry some ecu's at the bottom of the front windshield. They are also probably assuming you want non-metallic and higher level tint to reduce Infrared waves (ceramic or ceramic like films).

They are charging for premium films and more labor. If your silverado only cost $200, I'm assuming it would be a lower end film, maybe just a dyed film. 3m crystalline for all the windows, sunroof, and windshield is easily over 1k in CA. There are many shops that will do just the side windows for 300-500 with mid level films. You should do some research and find out what type of film you want for your model 3.

There is a bit of a Tesla tax, but not a huge difference from my experience.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have some research to do.

Probably too late to be helpful but for others who are looking into this, I just got my Model 3 tinted at Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel. They seem to have a lot of experience tinting Model 3's. For ceramic tint, they carry Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle (mid-level) and FormulaOne Stratos (higher-end). I opted for the Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle series. $559 for all side windows and one-piece rear glass. If you don't want the rear glass tinted, it's roughly half the price. Limited lifetime warranty. Took about 4 hours for installation. Looks great so far.

Other places in the SF Peninsula and South Bay quoted me anywhere from $600 to $900 for ceramic tint.

Hope this helps someone!