Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting roof panels in Phoenix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just joined this forum and will probably order a 2023 Model 3 LR AWD in October. I recently had a chance to drive my cousin's model 3 while in Kentucky and loved it. The amount of glass in the roof made me wonder about tinting the panels since I live in the Phoenix AZ area. For those who live in sunny hot climates : did you tint the panels? Was it really noticeable?

BTW this forum had been a wealth of knowledge for me. Thanks.

If you search for other threads, you will find that most folks do not believe tinting the roof makes a difference as the roof is already tinted/UV blocking. A roof shade may be more economical and effective. The roof also requires a tint installer that has experience tinting such a large area in one piece (and has such a large roll available).

In contrast, Windows are only dyed (colored), and not UV blocking.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I visit Phoenix often, and the ceramic tint film I had applied to every piece of glass in the car did help with the interior temperature, but that’s very likely only because the windows allow IR to pass through without it.

The glass roof still gets hot, and when sitting underneath it my bald head still feels like I’m getting sunburnt because of the heat radiating out from the hot glass. A shade is needed.

I visit Phoenix often, and the ceramic tint film I had applied to every piece of glass in the car did help with the interior temperature, but that’s very likely only because the windows allow IR to pass through without it.

The glass roof still gets hot, and when sitting underneath it my bald head still feels like I’m getting sunburnt because of the heat radiating out from the hot glass. A shade is needed.
Thank you for your comments Sellout. Since you are in San Diego I have a music/entertainment question. I am a huge Siriusxm fan and was sorely disappointed that Tesla didn't offer it as an option. We drive to CA and I am sure my T Mobile cell connection will be horrible. If you listen to tunes/podcasts, what source do you use going through the desert. (We go to Flagstaff often and it will be the same problem.) I don't have a TuneIn or Spotify account.

@Sellout Did you end up tinting your glass roof?

I've got a sunshade that I bought off of Amazon for like $50 and it's awesome. I don't miss the glass at all, I am driving, couldn't really look up anyway lol. It made a huge difference. It's got a sliver plastic barrier then a black shade. I only put it on the glass above the front seats though even though it came with 2 pieces.

Reactions: Sellout
I've got a sunshade that I bought off of Amazon for like $50 and it's awesome. I don't miss the glass at all, I am driving, couldn't really look up anyway lol. It made a huge difference. It's got a sliver plastic barrier then a black shade. I only put it on the glass above the front seats though even though it came with 2 pieces.
I ended up buying the same thing. Works pretty well