Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monterey Marriott - Avoid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: I recommend avoiding the Marriott in Monterey, CA

I’m taking my kids on a road trip, and I specifically booked hotels that have destination charging, because that frees up (valuable!) vacation time. For our day in Monterey (aquarium), I chose the Marriott.

Upon arriving (yesterday at ~3pm), I valet parked the car, politely asked that it be plugged in, and tipped the valet receiving the car. I know they plugged it in last night, because I checked. This morning I checked again about an hour before we were scheduled to leave, and it was unplugged and with only 45 miles range.

The manager on duty comped the parking and offered points (of dubious value), but that doesn’t really compensate us for the value of our time or breach of trust in destination charging, in my opinion.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with that hotel. I know I'd be pretty annoyed if I left the car with the expectation that it'd be fully charged, and it wasn't.

FWIW I had the totally opposite experience when I stayed there back in 2015 (first road trip with a two-month old Model S). On our arrival day they asked if I wanted the car charged, and I replied that I did (because we'd just arrived from the SF Bay Area). They took the car and plugged it in (like you, I checked on the app), and it was charged to our charge limit by the morning. The second day when we came back to the hotel they didn't bother to ask...they just plugged it in anyway and again it was charged up to the charge limit I'd set by the time we departed the next morning. It basically worked the way I would expect the destination charging in a valet park situation to work. Based on that experience I'd gladly do a repeat stay there.

Did the manager offer any explanation about why your car wasn't charged as requested?

I hope the rest of your road trip went more smoothly!

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and hiroshiy
Was curious to know why the charging did not finish, once started (as you confirmed). If you haven't done this already, you can set a notification in the Tesla OEM app when the charging is interrupted. This is triggered when the cable is unplugged, electricity stopped or any other errors.

Hope your family and you enjoy the rest of the holiday!

I had the same problem at the Ritz at Northstar, they would not let me park the car myself so I went with the valet and made sure it was plugged in. The next morning I saw that it was not charging and was unplugged, I called the valet and he made the lame excuse that they had a corporate group arrive and needed the parking spot. I asked to talk to the manager and he said the same thing, so I said where they driving all electric vehicles. Why would you ICE a Bev charging stall. Very disappointed, got them to plug it in and went and had breakfast.

I’m taking my kids on a road trip, and I specifically booked hotels that have destination charging, because that frees up (valuable!) vacation time. For our day in Monterey (aquarium), I chose the Marriott.

Upon arriving (yesterday at ~3pm), I valet parked the car, politely asked that it be plugged in, and tipped the valet receiving the car. I know they plugged it in last night, because I checked. This morning I checked again about an hour before we were scheduled to leave, and it was unplugged and with only 45 miles range.

The manager on duty comped the parking and offered points (of dubious value), but that doesn’t really compensate us for the value of our time or breach of trust in destination charging, in my opinion.

Did you get the plugged and unplugged events on your phone?

Reactions: Ulmo
Does schedule charging take effect on Destination Chargers? I know Superchargers ignores Schedule charging but not sure about Destination Chargers as they look just like Wall Connectors. Maybe OP has schedule charging on and the valet thought the car was plugged in since 3pm.. so he/she unplugged it just before he left work to home like 11pm or something.

Does schedule charging take effect on Destination Chargers? I know Superchargers ignores Schedule charging but not sure about Destination Chargers as they look just like Wall Connectors. Maybe OP has schedule charging on and the valet thought the car was plugged in since 3pm.. so he/she unplugged it just before he left work to home like 11pm or something.
Scheduled charging is by GPS location.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
I recently stayed at the Monterey Plaza and Spa, 400 Cannery Row, in Monterey. They are very experienced with Teslas, and their parking is off site about two blocks north of the hotel and they have numerous chargers there.. My car was charged without difficulty overnight. I think it was a level 2 charger, about 20 miles per hour. Of course, they are a little expensive, but a nice place to stay and close to the Aquarium.