Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moons and planets and stupid responses (out of MA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum is like drinking from a fire hose; I don't know if anybody else has replied to this but...
Tesla the first automaker to deliver cars to two Planets

Shotwell: “The first cars on Mars will be Teslas.”
The first car delivered off-planet was an Oldsmobile. The moon buggies that NASA sent to the moon by the Apollo program were Oldsmobiles. Three were delivered, in 1971-1972 on Apollo 15, 16, 17.

And they were electric too.

Lunar Roving Vehicle - Wikipedia

Last edited:
This forum is like drinking from a fire hose; I don't know if anybody else has replied to this but...

The first car delivered off-planet was an Oldsmobile. The moon buggies that NASA sent to the moon by the Apollo program were Oldsmobiles. Three were delivered, in 1971-1972 on Apollo 15, 16, 17.

The moon is not a planet.

moon.gif

To a planetary scientist it is. Might well end up classified as one if people like Alan Stern have their way ;) I believe the latest preferred term is "moon planet", although I've also seen "planetary moon" used in the past. Basically, these large "round" (hydrostatic equilibrium) moons are structured like planets and unlike small moons and asteroids.

It's also worth pointing out that to the ancient Greeks, who gave us the term "planet" (via πλανήτης), the moon was also a planet.

To a planetary scientist it is. Might well end up classified as one if people like Alan Stern have their way ;) I believe the latest preferred term is "moon planet", although I've also seen "planetary moon" used in the past. Basically, these large "round" (hydrostatic equilibrium) moons are structured like planets and unlike small moons and asteroids.

It's also worth pointing out that to the ancient Greeks, who gave us the term "planet" (via πλανήτης), the moon was also a planet.

"Tesla the first automaker to deliver cars to two Planets"

A Moon is not a Planet!

There is a huge difference delivering a car to the Moon versus Mars. ;)