Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 unveil invites coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently helped a guy that bought a used Tesla from a BMW dealer. He was not ready for the car and the first 2 weeks of ownership were very difficult for him. He did not realize he needed a charger (though the 110 charger was enough), did not know all the options his car had, and had no clue if he could supercharge. He did not know how to use the public charging network or how to find public chargers. I spent the time to do a tutorial of the car and let him know everything he needed. Since he bought used he did not have access to the Tesla delivery.

Tesla is very smart in letting current owners be the first to get the Model 3. Buying an EV is not like buying a regular car. Those that have never had an EV before have a very steep learning curve & hardware to get. by letting current owners take delivery, Tesla in ensuring that the first reviews of the car or more positive helping the success of the car.

Not sure why there's such issue over Tesla giving preferential treatment to current owners lately. Those owners are the reason Tesla is still around to offer s cheaper vehicle.

If this only meant that current owners got their Model 3 first, I would't be upset, but that isn't the case. For US buyers, there is a real chance that being moved down the reservation list means that people who are not current owners could lose out when it comes to the Federal Tax Credit.

As much as I would love to be a current owner, my financial situation doesn't allow that. The Model 3 is going to be a stretch and the Tax Credit would be a big help.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick... the invite says "As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will be take priority and be placed ahead of non owners." That reads to me as if the reservation for a Model 3 not a reservation for the draw. The invites are going to current owners anyhow.

Apologies if I am wrong.

I think your interpretation is correct.

I do not see your gripe, however. There's nothing wrong with giving "early adopters" a perk.

The rich getting more perks as usual.....
Yes money buys you perks....

We're talking about a car here, not an essential life resource like water or clean air.

Furthermore, it's a nice gesture for those owners who dealt with the growing pains of the company (many who stretched to do so, not just people who bought it with "play" money). And from a business perspective it's easy to understand why they'd want to encourage repeat business.

If the S wasn't significantly more expensive would you feel the same way?

You guys are missing the most important discussion point:

Model 3 reservations will open to the public in Tesla stores at 10am Pacific on March 31st. A website live stream with online reservations will begin at 8:30pm Pacific the same day.

Anyone else want to place bets that between everyone logging in to the site to place deposits right at 8:30 and those doing the livestream will subsequently crash their servers? I hope they are on an AWS scalable instance for this, or some other large load system, cause if not we are likely to see some sparks fly from the servers on the 31st!

You guys are missing the most important discussion point:

Anyone else want to place bets that between everyone logging in to the site to place deposits right at 8:30 and those doing the livestream will subsequently crash their servers? I hope they are on an AWS scalable instance for this, or some other large load system, cause if not we are likely to see some sparks fly from the servers on the 31st!

Where did you see the 8:30pst event time?

If the S wasn't significantly more expensive would you feel the same way?

I would NOT feel the same way. I would then say that most people would have had an equal opportunity and the early adopters would then be those who have truly believed in Tesla's mission from the start. Not to say those who have the money to buy the S aren't true believers, but rather that the majority of those who will camp out for the Model III have waited years for this and are being penalized because they couldn't afford a $100 000 car. That's the only issue I have.

I would NOT feel the same way. I would then say that most people would have had an equal opportunity and the early adopters would then be those who have truly believed in Tesla's mission from the start. Not to say those who have the money to buy the S aren't true believers, but rather that the majority of those who will camp out for the Model III have waited years for this and are being penalized because they couldn't afford a $100 000 car. That's the only issue I have.

I think it's tough to characterize this as being 'penalized'. What we're talking about is having to wait longer to get one's car, and the added wait is weeks or months and not years.

Also, as someone who is concerned with the overall mission of Tesla, I want them to have the best chance to succeed financially with this car. I'm guessing they see the best way to do that is to ensure as much as possible that the early reservations convert well to orders. I can't imagine there are people more likely to actually order and pay for a Tesla than those who already have (remember: $1,000 reservations from the general public is not the same as a paid order).

Well.....

I fall in with those who have been waiting for the model 3 since the beginning of Tesla. Having 2 very old (9 and 13 year old) ICEs, we couldn't wait any longer on one and bit the bullet for the "cheap" 70D tesla - which is by far the most expensive car we have ever bought. (and it was not 100K, btw.) It was a big deal for us but not having a car payment in so many years and being smart with our money allowed it to happen.

Tesla has always rewarded early adopters with priority. Without their investment, there would be no Model 3. You should stop looking at it as you being penalized and maybe look at it as Tesla rewarding their current loyal customers. Other industries do the same thing.

But you're not being penalized, you're just not being rewarded.

Tesla didn't force you to wait for years for the sake of making you wait. They needed the economics and research from Model S and X sales to make the Model III happen.

This is like complaining that Founder's edition of the S and X were released before regular folks could buy lesser equipped versions of those cars. The founder's edition eligible folks were instrumental in Tesla's growth, so giving them a perk only makes sense. The fact that they're likely much richer than the average Model S buyer is irrelevant. As is the fact that their cars cost more than the average Model S sold.

...the majority of those who will camp out for the Model III have waited years for this and are being penalized because they couldn't afford a $100 000 car. That's the only issue I have.

I understand your point and I am sorry that Tesla's decision does not please every body.

For the survival and advancement of Electric Vehicles, I think Tesla arrived to that decision not as an afterthought but as very thoughtful process with all the pros and cons considered.

we couldn't wait any longer on one and bit the bullet for the "cheap" 70D tesla - which is by far the most expensive car we have ever bought. (and it was not 100K, btw.) It was a big deal for us but not having a car payment in so many years and being smart with our money allowed it to happen.

Tesla has always rewarded early adopters with priority. Without their investment, there would be no Model 3.

Firstly, I live in Canada so yes the 70D does come out to almost $100 000 and this with very few options. Secondly, your comment about early adopters goes along with my previous statement. MANY people wanted to be early adopters, but couldn't due to price. So this lack of money "penalizes" us now that the III is coming out.

Firstly, I live in Canada so yes the 70D does come out to almost $100 000 and this with very few options. Secondly, your comment about early adopters goes along with my previous statement. MANY people wanted to be early adopters, but couldn't due to price. So this lack of money "penalizes" us now that the III is coming out.

I didn't know we were talking in Canadian dollars.

Well, we will agree to disagree then. I hope your wait isn't too much longer.

Not sure why there's such issue over Tesla giving preferential treatment to current owners lately. Those owners are the reason Tesla is still around to offer s cheaper vehicle.

I don't understand your point? Model reservations start at 10 am PST on 31 March at all showrooms. This event is at 7pm PST the same afternoon. No preferential treatment is being given for orders. Everyone will wait in the same lines at showrooms or online.

Current owners are only getting a chance, a very small chance, to see the unveil live. For FREE.
Last time i checked if you wanted to see a reveal you had to wait till the Detroit, LA, or Geneva auto shows and pay.

Either way, as I said elsewhere, current owners are a big part of the reason tesla is still around to offer an "everyone" car. I'd treat them nicely too.

The evangelism of Tesla owners has been a big part of enabling Tesla to grow, especially given the lack of traditional marketing from Tesla. Putting those people at the front of the line makes complete sense, given that they already have experience with Tesla, EVs, and likely a track record as a sort of brand ambassador for Tesla.

I think your interpretation is correct.

I do not see your gripe, however. There's nothing wrong with giving "early adopters" a perk.

I would say that early owners and investors both equally deserve to be inline first. They put their money down when it mattered.

The rich getting more perks as usual.....
No, people who worked hard, and didn't blame others get the perks.