Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y arrives tomorrow, is FSD Beta available (considering the recall)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my Model 3 back in 2022 after never getting into the FSD Beta, was super bummed out.

With my Model Y arriving tomorrow, should it be just as easy as paying for the sub and activating it? Or, are invites locked down due to the current recall?

Nope, no problems getting FSD these days. Open to the general public, no safety scores. Just pay for the monthly charge ($100/mo) or the whole deal ($6k).

The “recall” was just making the already existing warnings that were in a smallish font down low in a Much Bigger graphic up high. The FSD crowd got that along with everybody else in the current 2023.44.30.x releases.

Should state that FSD is still a beta. Much improved since a couple of years ago, but one still has to Watch It while driving.

Reactions: zorrobyte
Nope, no problems getting FSD these days. Open to the general public, no safety scores. Just pay for the monthly charge ($100/mo) or the whole deal ($6k).

The “recall” was just making the already existing warnings that were in a smallish font down low in a Much Bigger graphic up high. The FSD crowd got that along with everybody else in the current 2023.44.30.x releases.

Should state that FSD is still a beta. Much improved since a couple of years ago, but one still has to Watch It while driving.
Yep! I'm a longtime user and contributor of Openpilot on Toyota vehicles, I actually picked up the Model 3 just to try out FSD Beta and sold it a month later as I'm not into playing the games with safety score. Made money due to pandemic pricing, nutty times.

I have realistic expectations, navigation on Openpilot is very, very early on right now. If FSD Beta can somewhat drive across town and stop at stop signs reliably, etc, I'm gonna be floored.

Good to know and thanks for replying! So excited to try it out, finally!

Worst case, I want the car itself even without AP; and I can hack openpilot for my own open source autonomy if AP gets locked down or gutted in the future. Buddy of mine has HW3 interceptor PCBs just about ready. May do it anyway as I have it in my Rav currently and OP doesn't need wheel nags

I sold my Model 3 back in 2022 after never getting into the FSD Beta, was super bummed out.

With my Model Y arriving tomorrow, should it be just as easy as paying for the sub and activating it? Or, are invites locked down due to the current recall?
Tesla will still take your money for FSD. As far as it working as advertised, you're on your own.

Reactions: Kimmi and zorrobyte
Yep! I'm a longtime user and contributor of Openpilot on Toyota vehicles, I actually picked up the Model 3 just to try out FSD Beta and sold it a month later as I'm not into playing the games with safety score. Made money due to pandemic pricing, nutty times.

I have realistic expectations, navigation on Openpilot is very, very early on right now. If FSD Beta can somewhat drive across town and stop at stop signs reliably, etc, I'm gonna be floored.

Good to know and thanks for replying! So excited to try it out, finally!

Worst case, I want the car itself even without AP; and I can hack openpilot for my own open source autonomy if AP gets locked down or gutted in the future. Buddy of mine has HW3 interceptor PCBs just about ready. May do it anyway as I have it in my Rav currently and OP doesn't need wheel nags
Does an outstanding job on limited access highways, moving in and out of passing lanes, on and off ramps, and all that.

Today picked up some friends at Newark airport, drove them to their place in northern central Jersey, then returned home. Interstates, local roads with stripes, traffic lights, stop signs, and all.

Two or three interventions:
  • After the tolll booths getting onto the NJT northbound, car picked the truck lanes rather than the car-only.
  • Heavy rain on I-78 caused the car to reduce its speed to 60 in a 65 zone.
That was it, though. A bit jerky on unprotected left turns, but not all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: zorrobyte
Does an outstanding job on limited access highways, moving in and out of passing lanes, on and off ramps, and all that.

Today picked up some friends at Newark airport, drove them to their place in northern central Jersey, then returned home. Interstates, local roads with stripes, traffic lights, stop signs, and all.

Two or three interventions:
  • After the tolll booths getting onto the NJT northbound, car picked the truck lanes rather than the local.
  • Heavy rain on I-78 caused the car to reduce its speed to 60 in a 65 zone.
That was it, though. A bit jerky on unprotected left turns, but not all of them.
I've been watching drive alongs and it seems pretty nice compared to where it was in 2022! Very excited for how they implement E2E in v12!