Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. I inspected my paint very carefully at delivery last year and could not find any flaws. Obviously others have not had the same experience as we had...
Zero flaws. Paint perfect...no dents or dings. Spent 2 hours and a checklist before accepting the car. Took the car straight to detailed for paint correction and full PPF. Wonderful car. Spoiler looks freaking awesome wrapped in Matt PPF .... car is incredible.

Reactions: jjh1234
My, we certainly have a lot of opinions in this thread about who is right or wrong for a Tesla.

There is nothing wrong with wanting your vehicle to be in good condition on delivery day. Paint issues are usually a hassle to deal with since Tesla does not fix them in house. I would not accept delivery on a car that has significant paint issues requiring body work. That’s just silly. It’s a brand new car. You don’t need to be messing around with taking a brand new car to a body shop to get it repaired before you even paid for it. They make over 5,000 of these a week. If you don’t like the one they assigned to you then just request another one. No big deal.

Where I see things go wrong is when people allow Tesla (or their own schedules) to rush them through the delivery process. You should plan on spending an hour going through the vehicle in detail. Bring a second person to go through it with you in case you miss anything. You are doing a pre-purchase inspection on an expensive piece of property. Take the time you need to make sure you have thoroughly inspected it and don’t be afraid to reject it if there are issues you are not comfortable with. We have two Model 3’s that we are very happy with and we’ve had zero issues with both of them. And we’ve also rejected two Model 3’s that were not in acceptable condition at the delivery center. In both cases where we rejected the vehicles the entire staff was very friendly and supportive and totally understanding of the situation.

I’m helping a family member pick up an SR tomorrow. I’ll be going through it with him carefully to make sure it’s in good condition and I have a backup plan in place in case we need to reject it.

My, we certainly have a lot of opinions in this thread about who is right or wrong for a Tesla.

There is nothing wrong with wanting your vehicle to be in good condition on delivery day. Paint issues are usually a hassle to deal with since Tesla does not fix them in house. I would not accept delivery on a car that has significant paint issues requiring body work. That’s just silly. It’s a brand new car. You don’t need to be messing around with taking a brand new car to a body shop to get it repaired before you even paid for it. They make over 5,000 of these a week. If you don’t like the one they assigned to you then just request another one. No big deal.

Where I see things go wrong is when people allow Tesla (or their own schedules) to rush them through the delivery process. You should plan on spending an hour going through the vehicle in detail. Bring a second person to go through it with you in case you miss anything. You are doing a pre-purchase inspection on an expensive piece of property. Take the time you need to make sure you have thoroughly inspected it and don’t be afraid to reject it if there are issues you are not comfortable with. We have two Model 3’s that we are very happy with and we’ve had zero issues with both of them. And we’ve also rejected two Model 3’s that were not in acceptable condition at the delivery center. In both cases where we rejected the vehicles the entire staff was very friendly and supportive and totally understanding of the situation.

I’m helping a family member pick up an SR tomorrow. I’ll be going through it with him carefully to make sure it’s in good condition and I have a backup plan in place in case we need to reject it.
Yea I wish I spent more time on delivery, in my case my pick up SC was two hours from my house...

I found quite a few paint issues in my black model 3. Paint bubbles, thin paint, not painted hinges and in other hard to reach areas.
At first Tesla service agreed and took the car to the body shop. Now after body shop probably showed them the bill, they're backing out and saying most of the issues are not covered. Service advisor even told me the rule they use to asses the quality: "You have to notice the defect in 10 sec of looking at the car". This is ridiculous, really,.
Anyway, the car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. I wonder if I should refuse the delivery after repainting until all paint issues are resolved. I have a loaner Tesla so I'm not in a hurry, Not sure how much can this be pushed.
Anyone had similar experience?

Update: Tesla did repaint the panels that had imperfections, but only externally facing. They brought the "delivery manager" who stated nothing is covered that is invisible from outside, i.e. when doors, trunk, etc is closed - per some internal "standard". They refused to share any more info. 99% of my issues are those you can only see from inside. Picking up the car tomorrow after about 6 weeks in service. Don't want to fight it any longer.

Based on how it's painted, I suspect this car is going to rust fairly quickly (I'm in Chicago). Since Tesla doesn't provide separate rust warranty may need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.
Buyer beware.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Update: Tesla did repaint the panels that had imperfections, but only externally facing. They brought the "delivery manager" who stated nothing is covered that is invisible from outside, i.e. when doors, trunk, etc is closed - per some internal "standard". They refused to share any more info. 99% of my issues are those you can only see from inside. Picking up the car tomorrow after about 6 weeks in service. Don't want to fight it any longer.

Based on how it's painted, I suspect this car is going to rust fairly quickly (I'm in Chicago). Since Tesla doesn't provide separate rust warranty may need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.
Buyer beware.

It seems we may have very bad batch of model 3 painting. Does it look my my after 1300 miles ?
>>

Tesla Model 3 after 1300 miles - Google Drive

Link for tmc post.

>>

Model 3 paint wearing off

Also check our complaint >> scroll down comment and click "read more"

Consumer advocacy service

We have created global facebook already to identify how many people are having problems on their Model 3 painting.

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

Btw. We have already found rust on trunk.
Screenshot_20190701-121137.jpg

Screenshot_20190701-121158.jpg

It's caused by the brass thread on the piece that covers it. That deposits itself on what's below but it's not going to affect paint, as far as I can see.

Nothing a bit of copper anti-seize wouldn't fix (or prevent), TBH. That's what I would use to prevent this flash rust from gripping the threads so much that the plastic piece would be hard to remove (that's why this is called 'anti-seizure copper', "graisse cuivrée" en français). Even without it, it's probably not going to cause any trouble.

Frankly: if you get seizures (pun intended) when seeing this, I strongly discourage you from ever disassembling anything on a car ;-). And especially not anything designed before 2000 ;-).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
Bought mine two weeks ago, I have to admit the negative comments on fit and finish, wind noise etc almost made me back out.
I am so glad I went ahead with the purchase. Fit and finish were perfect , great panel gaps and paintwork. Beautiful interior and not sure how they do this, but a smooth and comfortable quiet ride at the same time as great sporty handling. So much better in all aspects than my 2019 A200 AMG and it makes that car look crazily busy with vents buttons touch pads scroll wheels etc.
The best car I have owned in thirty years! Time will tell but so far a perfect experience.