Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, have you noticed any fit and finish defects? Agree with your post. I've bought two brand new cars in the past but have NEVER been one to check for minor things like that.

Not anything too terrible. The black paint is going to be a chore if you look closely. My P3D I picked up yesterday has some paint nibs, a few minor things.

Biggest issues I have are:

1.) Dented brake pedal (very odd - is getting replaced, see attached image).

2.) Squeaky steering wheel (getting sorted when I go in for the pedal).

3.) Backup camera frame rate is choppy. Not sure about this one, - might be a HW3 issue, but don't know... The P3D I test-drove did not have this issue.

None of these problems are particularly bad, and the car is still amazing.

Attachments

• dMVXgJTZQjOnlyvtGyyWNw.jpg
    dMVXgJTZQjOnlyvtGyyWNw.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 122
Pretty sure Tesla may not be the right car for you. It is a very early stage, entrepreneurial company. The cars are exceptional to drive, but I would not bet on perfection in fit, finish or service delivery. Sadly, for right now that is part of the Tesla experience. I knew this going in and have actually fairly pleasantly surprised. BUT, my car was NOT pristine -- I just don't really care about a dust fleck here and there in the paint and/or perfectly aligned panels. The car is the best car I have ever driven and I am totally behind what Tesla is trying to do. I have personally "sold 5 Teslas to friends and family in the past 4 months.

But, if you want perfection? I'd honestly save yourself the aggravation...

Yes I went in figuring some pain and I agree, because I support what they are all about I am willing to give them more leeway. If I bought this from a conventional dealer I would be rattling chains a lot louder.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
5 days actually sounds like an improvement. I had to wait weeks and many calls/emails were just simply unanswered.
Holy cow, communication is free. When I picked up my car and actually in pretty much any interaction I have had with Tesla I get the feeling they are running extremely lean on staffing. It is a gamble to do so and not bleed off too much customer base in the process.

You're the perfect owner: an early adopter who is thrilled with what the car has to offer, and with the company's mission. Nothing at all wrong with any of that (I pretty much feel the same way). But...I don't know how well that will translate to a mainstream buyer who might be spending more for this game-changing EV than he or she ever has spent on a car before, and expects it to be fast, beautiful, reliable and squared away. Add loooooong service waits to fix manufacturing defects and you can see the size of the next hurdle Tesla needs to jump.
Robin

I completely agree with your points!

Ok, admittedly I am willing to settle for less than perfect.

I'm bringing the team to compensate for my old-a** eyes... :)

LOL. If you are "blessed with old a** eyes" (as I am!), perhaps leave the team at home...you'll be happier!! From 3 feet the car will look perfect even with young eyes!! In all seriousness, enjoy your car. I hope you have a great experience.

Reactions: Dana1
I found quite a few paint issues in my black model 3. Paint bubbles, thin paint, not painted hinges and in other hard to reach areas.
At first Tesla service agreed and took the car to the body shop. Now after body shop probably showed them the bill, they're backing out and saying most of the issues are not covered. Service advisor even told me the rule they use to asses the quality: "You have to notice the defect in 10 sec of looking at the car". This is ridiculous, really,.
Anyway, the car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. I wonder if I should refuse the delivery after repainting until all paint issues are resolved. I have a loaner Tesla so I'm not in a hurry, Not sure how much can this be pushed.
Anyone had similar experience?

I found quite a few paint issues in my black model 3. Paint bubbles, thin paint, not painted hinges and in other hard to reach areas.
At first Tesla service agreed and took the car to the body shop. Now after body shop probably showed them the bill, they're backing out and saying most of the issues are not covered. Service advisor even told me the rule they use to asses the quality: "You have to notice the defect in 10 sec of looking at the car". This is ridiculous, really,.
Anyway, the car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. I wonder if I should refuse the delivery after repainting until all paint issues are resolved. I have a loaner Tesla so I'm not in a hurry, Not sure how much can this be pushed.
In the situation you described, I would tell them to keep the car unless they fix it. It is now the only moment you have the big stick, use it !

I first got an estimate from a Tesla certified body shop in my area. They didn't like the estimate so now they are trying to fix it with a local body shop near the SC. My bowed roof glass is a common issue as well, I saw three M3's in the parking lot with the same thing. Love the car but damn, their QC sort of sucks.

• Informative
Can anyone let me know if this is thin paint or some other defect? Didn't notice until first wash today, picked up two weeks ago, SR+ black. Its not bumpy and seems to be under the clear coat. It looks like a green paint under. I researched and couldn't find any similar defects. Its on top of trunk. Have an appointment with SC next week.

Attachments

• 20190526_131610.jpg
    20190526_131610.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Disagree
Can anyone let me know if this is thin paint or some other defect? Didn't notice until first wash today, picked up two weeks ago, SR+ black. Its not bumpy and seems to be under the clear coat. It looks like a green paint under. I researched and couldn't find any similar defects. Its on top of trunk. Have an appointment with SC next week.
I think the primer is normally yellowish so that looks like something else, something else that will require a visit to the paint shop. :(

That looks like fungal growth!!
Gross..
Tesla QC tech must have been absent when your car was finished.

Reactions: Jsorell