Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More windshield wiper nuttiness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my Model 3 upgraded to 2019.40.50 (now running 2019.40.50.7) my windshield wipers are randomly running on dry sunny days. They didn't used to do that (say a month ago). It seems to be somewhat related to the front cameras getting glare from low-angle sun but not entirely.

Worse this highlights a problem in the car's GUI ... there is no way for the driver to turn the wipers OFF!

The other day my car decided it must be raining (on a clear sunny day) and started running the wipers...not just once, but over and over. There's absolutely no way for me to tell the car to stop; I just had to let it streak up and scratch up my windshield until it decided to quit.

The decision to use computer vision techniques to replace a $5 rain sensor was one of the worst mistakes in the Model 3 design. I can't imagine how many thousands of person-hours they've wasted trying to find an algorithm that works.

You can turn it off. Press the wiper button on the "cards" and tap it so the blue outline goes away.

I get why they did this, but agree they should have kept a sensor. Pays off in long run, but short term it was a huge miss.

Mine have also been overagressive recently, mostly since the newest neural net for auto wipers were pushed out. It seems to stay on the level 2 setting even in a light drizzle, and they also come on when there's no rain at all. I often have to turn down the speed - which supposedly Tesla can see and will incorporate in future versions (if everyone is doing the same thing I suppose).

The stock wipers aren’t able to scratch glass without a contaminant of some kind. I take it you installed some aftermarket diamond-bladed wipers?

Of course not, but we all know that road debris, seeds, and such can scratch windshields if scraped across a dry windshield unnecessarily.

Good to know that there is a way to turn the wipers off (at least until the next random time the software decides to turn them back on).

It's unlikely the wipers were turned on by themselves. However, if the auto wipers are on, the wipers can come on at any time for no apparent reason. It's getting better, but its not great. It's just a miracle you made it this long without this happening earlier. I have to turn them off all the time.