Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More worries! S 75D 2 days old charges to 251mi not 259.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm going through what most new EV owners do... staring at that range meter all the time. (...)
I did order the CHAdeMO adapter... (...)
hope that they do come out with a CCS adapter... even though it seems that a CCS adapter is not in the cards.)

Still would not want to primarily rely on DC fast charging of course since that can do a number on your battery, too, I know. But still it would be nice to have more options since with EVs right now -- "it's not the odds, it's the stakes".
Yes, you are going thru what I went thru anyway. Note that in v6, the IC was different and actually in the center, you had your battery displayed much bigger, making it almost the sole focus point. I guess Tesla understood that as their SuC and DeC network grew large enough, they could reduce it in size and just leave it in a corner, as to not draw so much attention to it. Not that it’s not necessary info, but likelyhood of running out of juice was very low.

03963922-058A-420E-9F64-79B4E77F9399.jpeg

CHAdeMO was also on my shopping list, but in the end, the SuC and public level 2 network is plenty for me.
It is quite an expensive piece. But depends on CHAdeMO network around your trips.

Tesla has confirmed they will propose a CCS adapter. Tesla confirms Model 3 is getting a CCS plug in Europe, adapter coming for Model S and Model X

From reading TMC and understanding various charging patterns, I’m convinced SuC only might have a very small negative impact, but only on the very long run. There used to be indeed 90 batteries being limited in SuC charging speed, but I have not read any such thing for the newest 75 and 100. (Nor for the 70 or 85 btw).

Best bit of early advice I took was switching from miles to % on the IC. Miles are so misleading. If I’m doing a journey, even if I know the route I still use the Nav as it gives an accurate prediction of the energy use, and takes elevation into account.

I also have an S75D, and for a rough safe “in my head” calculation I take the % battery, double it and that’s my rough range.

You’re going to love it - especially in that colour :)

Have a 2 year old 75D with about 25K miles on it. Originally charged to 228 at 90%, now charges to 222 at 90%. Still gets me everywhere I want to go without issues. Never super charged on it yet. During the winter, I wish I had a 100D, but the price increase was just too out of proportion for the increased range. As I’m on the east coast, what I really want to see is a Super Charger at every Wawa, lol.

@D.E. - Have you had your S75D since 2016? (or earlier?) Have you ever been in a situation where you really really wished you had gone 90D or 100D? (I'm sure most people do at some points.)

I have never regretted the 75 battery choice. I’ve taken several trips. The superchargers are well spaced. If I’d gone with the 100 battery, I could usually eliminate one stop on a trip. But $20,000 is a lot to eliminate an occasional stop. The 100 operates at a higher voltage, the car would accelerate a little quicker and it would charge a bit quicker. I’m too cheap to spend that much for the small increment in performance and convenience. If I’d budgeted the extra $20K, I’d still sooner buy the 75 and give the other $20K to a school, a charity, or pay off part of the kids house mortgages, or put it toward the grandson’s education. That $20K would do a lot more good there than it would saving me an occasional stop on an occasional trip. As for the performance, mine has enough, plenty really. I get a thrill every time I do a full acceleration start or floor it while driving. Would I get more thrill with the other battery? Yup. $20K worth? Nope.

I am juvenile enough to want the car that out accelerates anything else. The SP100D 0-60 in 2.3 seconds or so. I’d love that. But I’m mature enough to look at the money and see where it will do more good. Don’t get me wrong, I certainly don’t criticize anyone else for their choices, more power to them. Of them, I’m jealous, just not $60,000 worth of jealous.

Last edited:
One issue for the OP is that he will be starting from a mountain top.

If he charges up to 100% for his journey he will not have regeneration available to him until he gets to the bottom of the mountain. The regen juice needs a place to go and with a full charge the battery is already fully topped off.

From his post, a good option would be to start at 90%. Use the regen available to make his down the mountain trip efficient and enjoyable. Then get enough juice from the Supercharger on his way home to arrive safely with a nice margin of range.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I guess I'm going through what most new EV owners do... staring at that range meter all the time. If you're saying you used to do it, but don't anymore -- and that the concern goes away with time, that's actually really good to hear. :) Maybe I'm just going through a normal 'new Tesla owner range watching phase"...

And you're right... Never did do anything like that with an ICE; (Though when I got my first hybrid I do admit that I did hypermile like crazy and try to get that MPG up --- for a while. Then I just drove the thing. :) )

I think really a whole lot of this will be less of a big deal when charging stations are more plentiful and it can be an "Oh I'm getting low, gotta stop for a charge" sort of thing. (supercharger and other; I did order the CHAdeMO adapter... (maybe someday Tesla will ship it!) - and hope that they do come out with a CCS adapter... even though it seems that a CCS adapter is not in the cards.)

Still would not want to primarily rely on DC fast charging of course since that can do a number on your battery, too, I know. But still it would be nice to have more options since with EVs right now -- "it's not the odds, it's the stakes".

For what it's worth, my 2016 Model S 75D used to charge to 259 miles at 100% but my 2018 Model S 75D only charges to 249 miles. Like others have stated, it is just a best guess and your mileage will most definitely vary. It's all relative and there is nothing wrong with your battery. Enjoy your new baby and have a blast learning what it is truly capable of! ;)

Interesting to hear ranges on the 75. Almost makes me jealous. I have a 13 month old showroom 75 with about 10k miles and my 90% is 213. Not complaining per se, but seeing these numbers in this thread makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I charge to 90% in the winter and 80% other times. I do pre-heat often and supercharge maybe 3 times a month. Wonder if the battery was somewhat degraded in the showroom?