Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Morning warm-up - comparing 2019.40.2 v. 2019.40.50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd noticed that regen was coming back to full capacity a lot quicker the last couple of mornings, which is nice.

The graphs below are from 2019.40.2 (top) and 2019.40.50 (bottom). You can see that the inside/outside temp was the same on both days, both times the car was plugged into the UMC, but on 2019.40.50 the consumption is high for a lot longer - around 10kW for 19 mins v. 4 mins

On 2019.40.2 it's only high while the inside temp is below target, but 2019.40.50 keeps it at ~10kW for an additional 15 mins

before.png

after.png

The ScanMyTesla app was showing the 2019.40.50 heating both stators and the battery coolant big time during this additional 15 mins

Here's some figures from 10:20am, 2 minutes before the power dropped back down below 2kW which is enough just to keep the cabin heaters going.

NB the "Battery Power" below is the net power coming out of the battery, the total power usage is the sum of this and the power coming into the car from the charger, another 2kW (UMC 10amps * 240volts)

Screenshot_20191227_102034_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Great post. I also noted that the car was making much more noise in the garage since the update.

Are you able to work out the rate of cabin and battery heating in deg/min? I'd like to set TeslaFi accordingly.

I wonder if TeslaFi could be updated to start preconditioning based on the outside temperature.

Great post. I also noted that the car was making much more noise in the garage since the update.

Are you able to work out the rate of cabin and battery heating in deg/min? I'd like to set TeslaFi accordingly.

I wonder if TeslaFi could be updated to start preconditioning based on the outside temperature.

Thanks.
At the time I turned on climate, at 10:03am, the cell-temp-mid was reported as 14ºC.
At 10:23am, when it stopped preconditioning, the same reading had reached 25.5. So roughly 10ºc over 20 mins or 0.5ºC/min

I found reported temperature is very high when heating but rapidly drops off when fan stops. I’m convinced the temperature probe is in incoming air flow so is heavily influenced by heater temp rather than ambient.
one of the probes is in poking out the bracket, under the screen.

Noticed some saw-toothing of the internal temperature overnight while it was charging. Every 2 hours exactly - I don't think the heater comes on, but perhaps the fans do to recirculate the air?

e.g. between midnight and 7am here

saw.jpg