Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most annoying and stupid AP feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No42

Jun 25, 2018
WA
Arguably AP jail is the most stupid and dangerous feature out there.

I get it AP can’t handle 85+ speed and needs to shut down, but I demand my car to restore functionality once speed is down and not play stupid games with me.

1. It is dangerous not having AP for the rest of the trip, sometimes forcing people to park on shoulder to get functionality restored.
2. Not clear why I should not be able to engage AP any time I want when it is technically possible to do so. WTF Tesla?

I genuinely want to learn the reasoning of this implementation from Tesla engineering team who came up with this feature in AP.

I get it AP can’t handle 85+ speed and needs to shut down, but I demand my car to restore functionality once speed is down and not play stupid games with me.

1. It is dangerous not having AP for the rest of the trip, sometimes forcing people to park on shoulder to get functionality restored.
2. Not clear why I should not be able to engage AP any time I want when it is technically possible to do so. WTF Tesla?

I genuinely want to learn the reasoning of this implementation from Tesla engineering team who came up with this feature in AP.
Why would you be forced to park on the shoulder to get out of AP jail? Just drive to the next exit and find a safe place to stop the car. Nothing dangerous about it unless you make it so.

Reactions: Silicon Desert

Because there are stupid people out there who post videos of themselves climbing into the back of Teslas on AP to take a nap. Because some people think it's ok not to pay attention and end up driving themselves under a semi trailer. Because the media knows anything Tesla means clicks and revenue generation, so whenever they have a chance, they will refer to AP and past incidents, even if AP has nothing to do with the story at hand.

So.... capping the speed of AP at 90 or 85 seems reasonable to me. It's not like the car doesn't let you reach those speeds when not using AP. If you want to go 90, turn AP off and go 90. You feeling inconvenienced that you can't go 85+ on AP doesn't make it dangerous.

Well, radar equipped cars can set the max to 90. Or they used to be able to do so.

Looks like a hardware problem to me that might someday have software compensation. So I'd say it's primarily a safety feature. Maybe.
Cars with active radar can still set the max to 90. I expect vision-only cars will get there — they’ve been increasing the limit over time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert