Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks to me like the wheels are on backwards for at least some of those shots!

From the Tesla Motors web site gallery:

From the Motor Trend gallery:

I'm assuming those are the aerodynamic directional wheels.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm thrilled to see the car get these great accolades! For a few seconds during the video I had the urge to trade my Roadster in for an S. A few seconds.

The 21" wheels are not 'left hand' and 'right hand' so they appear to blow out on one side and suck in on the other side. Your pictures are from the two sides of the car.

Found this (very!) inspiring comment on Hackers News in response to Motor Trend's award:

My son works at Tesla. He got the job as his first real job after doing a tour in Iraq with the U.S. military. Tesla taught him how to operate a laser cutter, and a bunch of other heavy machinery. He just left for work a few minutes ago, he's working night shift because they're cranking out cars all night long every night. Him, and some thousand+ other people got jobs there-- good, high quality, awesome jobs. Having good jobs for people here in America isn't important to a lot of people, but it's been a really good thing for him and for our family.

Honestly, how can anyone not be rooting for Tesla at this point?

Got goosebumps watching the various videos. George is a blast to watch talk, he's got so much energy. And seeing the Motor Trend guy talk about the process you really grasp how thoroughly the Model S dominated the competition. And finally, I love Elon's bit about hoping other manufacturer's copy him, calling back to his originally stated goal of accelerating EV adoption.

It really does feel like a transition point. Can't remember the article, but one reviewer said that he "couldn't shake the feeling of a corner turned". I think it was the guy Elon had the bet with and it's sure feeling more like a corner turned with every award.

I am so proud for Tesla!

Creating an automobile worthy of this award in such a short timeframe and to receive unanimous accolades from the expert judges at Motor Trend is simply phenomenal....or as George would say....IMPOSSIBLE! I am very proud to be one of the early adopters of this great car.

Thanks Tesla and Congratulations!

Got goosebumps watching the various videos. George is a blast to watch talk, he's got so much energy. And seeing the Motor Trend guy talk about the process you really grasp how thoroughly the Model S dominated the competition. And finally, I love Elon's bit about hoping other manufacturer's copy him, calling back to his originally stated goal of accelerating EV adoption.

It really does feel like a transition point. Can't remember the article, but one reviewer said that he "couldn't shake the feeling of a corner turned". I think it was the guy Elon had the bet with and it's sure feeling more like a corner turned with every award.

ckessel, what videos are you referring to? Where can I view them? Links?

Jay Leno's Garage @LenosGarage

Much deserved! RT “@TeslaMotors: Model S is awarded 2013 @MotorTrend Car of the Year! 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend
…”

- - - Updated - - -

One of the Motor Trend judges about the possible response (based on experience) to choosing an electric vehicle as COTY:

Shock Therapy: Is America Ready for an Electric Car of the Year? - Motor Trend Blog

- - - Updated - - -

A few (;)) articles covering the COTY choice:

Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year - Nov. 12, 2012 (CNNMoney)
Motor Trend Magazine Names Tesla Model S 'Car of the Year' (Video) - Drivers Seat - WSJ
Motor Trend: Tesla Model S Car of the Year - MSN Autos
Tesla Model S Wins MotorTrend Car of the Year | Autopia | Wired.com)
Tesla electric sedan snags Motor Trend's 'Car of the Year' award - San Jose Mercury News
2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S [w/video] (Autoblog)
'Motor Trend' names Tesla Model S as Car of the Year
Tesla Electric Sedan Snags Motor Trend’s ‘Car of the Year’ Award - Bloomberg
Tesla Model S named Motor Trend Car of the Year by unanimous decision | The Verge
Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year | Money - KCRA Home
Tesla Model S is Motor Trend's 'Car of the Year' - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
Motor Trend car of the year goes to... Tesla Model S
Tesla Model S Is Named Motor Trend's Car Of The Year 2013 | TPM LiveWire
Just as we predicted, Tesla Model S wins 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year award | Digital Trends
Tesla Model S - Motor Trend Car of the Year | Money - WGAL Home
Motor Trend Names Tesla Model S as 2013 Car of the Year - Yahoo! Finance
Motor Trend Names Tesla Model S as 2013 Car of the Year American-made, All-Electric Car Rises to Top of Most Competitive Field Ever - CNBC