Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorcycles and lane splitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I lived in California I would lane split only in stopped traffic. I frequently encountered bikers who would be doing 60+ mph in slow/stopped traffic and lane split at high speeds during normal/low traffic. I always thought that was absolutely irresponsible. I may have been more cautious than the average biker, but I think if bikers followed lane splitting guidelines then there is nothing to fear from Autopilot and everything to fear from those who are supposedly driving cars themselves.

I think other regions have better drivers, but here in So Cal, I don't think we are known for our driving ability. People will drive 90 in the carpool lane when it is raining. Then he will spin out and for the next 2 hours the entire freeway is driving 15 mph. Also many people don't signal here. Why? Because of the First Law of SoCal Road Rage: If you signal to change lane, the car in that lane behind you WILL speed up to pass you. :D I actually think AP is safer for the motorcyclist than the average SoCal driver. :D

I don't ride bike, but my coworker owns 7. So I do make way for them, but not like some of the extreme people who will sway half way into the emergency lane. I don't know what kind of metal scraps are in the emergency lane, I don't want to have a flat tire!

Reactions: rw99 and mkspeedr
It appears to be illegal to lane split going > 30 mph since 2012 : California releases new rules for motorcycle lane-splitting
It’s not illegal, it’s “inadvisable” per CHP guidelines. Such guidelines are not laws, but rather are educational safety advice with no legal penalty for disobeying them.

(b) The California Department of Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist and the drivers and passengers of the surrounding vehicles.”

I have commuted and split lanes for 30 years without an accident or damaging a vehicle. I try to be extremely courtesy in my filtering. Unfortunately, I see bad driving and riding everyday (I record my commute because it is so unbelievable). Autonomous vehicles will make me commute so much safer. A computer driving a predictable center of the lane course would make me happy.

I have collected some data from my commute video. A couple of interesting points:
  • When I commute on my louder motorcycles more people help or hinder my filtering
  • The number of people face timing in stop and go traffic is unbelievable
  • The number of times I smell marijuana during my early morning commute is alarming
  • Jumpers (my term for single person vehicles in the HOV lane) is the most dangerous part of my commute
  • Car guys/Gearheads/motorsport enthusiasts move consistently to the left to aid filtering (quiet or loud motorcycle)
  • Tesla model S and X is way wider than Volts, Leafs, CMAX, Bolts, i3 and the majority of cars in the HOV lane.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911