Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, driving into Tucson from the south my MY LR AWD (2023) in autopilot and car wanted to switch lanes from the right lane to the passing lane about every minute or less during the ride. Except, I didn't want to move from the right lane?!?!? I did not indicate a turn or make any move that would tell the car to move over a lane.

I use autopilot all the time and this is the first "bug" I've encountered to date with the system.

Either I hit a command someplace in the menu and didn't realize it and have not a clue what is going on!!

Ideas anyone?

Rich

Reactions: beachmiles
Enjoy...this is a feature, not a bug!

Well, I will say that in my experience, FSD does this...I don't know about basic autopilot (since I normally have FSD turned on), or even if this is what's happening in your case, but with the converged stack, maybe AP does this now too. Basically the car wants to keep out of the right lane so it doesn't have to deal with merging and exiting traffic that is going very slow. It's a bit of a kludge, likely because the car can't "see" far enough ahead to be able to react to these kinds of vehicles in time and/or it can't react quickly enough to move into the left lane when necessary. The result is that the car just likes to move to the left lane and then just hang out there, avoiding the right lane like the plague. It will move over if a car comes up from behind, but more than likely that car is going to just get pissed off at you and pass on the right anyway before the car reacts to it coming up from behind.

This is one of the great "features" that has degraded FSD. There is a setting (in FSD anyway) that lets you minimize lane changes which usually works, but you have to select it every single time. A real pain!

Exactly what RTPEV said - use the right scroll wheel, and move it to the left to select your mode (Chill, etc.). You'll see "Minimal Lane Changes" - select that. While I'm in Chill mode, and MLC is enabled, I don't get speed-based lane changes anymore. I only get lane changes for route. If I have no destination (navigation), then it just keeps me in the lane until I disable it.

That said - this is for FSD Beta. If you are on AP or EAP, I don't know if these directions will help you.

If on the old NOA, you can require confirmation before making automatic lane changes. Before v11 FSD beta, I had NOA sometimes want to ping pong between left and right lanes on an interstate. Very annoying when it got in that mood.

FSD beta does favor the left lane. It generally does not ping pong between lanes. If it does, then use the minimal lane changes feature to help.

If this was basic AP, then you have a serious problem.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
The above posts were helpful. I "think" I was in FSD (bought the MY end of October '23 so have three months worth). If this is how FSB works, then it ain't for me!

Thing is, I've been using either AP or FSB all the time, even on local roads (AP drives a heck of a lot better than I do, according to my spouse.). This is the first time the system has "forced" me into making the switch into the left lane. I like to simply piddle along in the right lane (I'm old...) and mind my own business.

Thanks guys,

Rich

Reactions: Peter N
I like to simply piddle along in the right lane (I'm old...) and mind my own business.
And you can do that, but you have to manually select "Minimal Lane Changes" every drive. It's too bad they don't make that a setting so you can permanently select that as your preference. My wife has simply gotten into the habit of flicking the right scroll wheel after engaging FSD to bring up the dialog with that option on it, so it's not a huge deal, but still...

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
As has been suggested minimum lane changes is the start. You also need to keep your MPH at a reasonable speed. If it’s at or below traffic speed it will generally stay put. If you have it set to 70 and your above posted speed it will try to pass to maintain the speed You selected. Finally there is also a lane change setting from Mad Max to minimum. You want minimum.

Reactions: RTPEV
As has been suggested minimum lane changes is the start. You also need to keep your MPH at a reasonable speed. If it’s at or below traffic speed it will generally stay put. If you have it set to 70 and your above posted speed it will try to pass to maintain the speed You selected. Finally there is also a lane change setting from Mad Max to minimum. You want minimum.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the lane change settings. My speeds were around 5mph under the limit.

Rich

See what ya did, just confused an old guy!! You saying if I set my target speed to just below that of the guy in front of me I won't be pushed into the left lane when in FSD??

Rich
I'll have to slightly disagree with @Yelobird here. If you are on a divided highway kind of road with at-grade intersections, and you DON'T select Minimal Lane Changes, it will frequently try to get out of the right lane. You then get the message "Changing lanes to avoid right lane" or "Changing lanes to avoid merge" instead of "Changing lanes to pass slower vehicle" (or whatever it says when it's trying to pass).

Reactions: JB47394
I'll have to slightly disagree with @Yelobird here. If you are on a divided highway kind of road with at-grade intersections, and you DON'T select Minimal Lane Changes, it will frequently try to get out of the right lane. You then get the message "Changing lanes to avoid right lane" or "Changing lanes to avoid merge" instead of "Changing lanes to pass slower vehicle" (or whatever it says when it's trying to pass).
To clarify in my first response I noted the the “Minimal lane change” Was the first thing he should do. The others were additional assist options.

People who hang out in the middle, or passing lane of a highway, when everyone else is going faster, really irritate me. Now I am that driver!

I've tried the lane change settings. I've tried tweaking my speed. Doesn't matter, this car is determined not to stay in the right lane.