Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting EZPass under trunk vent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, you can share the same EZPass here in NJ as long as it's the same vehicle class (sedan, suv, van, etc.).

Each pass is associated with only one vehicle, I'm surprised that NJ would be so lenient. The toll readers have cameras also and take a picture of the license plate/vehicle and matches EZTag number in the database. If no match the listed owner of the tag gets sent a violation notice with fines and additional fees.

In my earlier post I should have said EZTag, we originally used the EZPass "box" early in the life of the toll system, it had double sided tape to apply to the windshield. Authorities realized quickly that people were using them between unregistered vehicles and they were losing registration fee revenue, so we now have the permanent tag.

That looks just like the EzTags we use in Texas. I'd love for it to be in the frunk instead of on my window.

I have one of those EZPass transponders that mount to the front plate. I keep mine in the frunk, and it does fine.

Do you literally just have it laying around in the frunk? I am still waiting on my perm plates for my Model 3 and don't want to get the regular sticker ez tag and am thinking about getting the "twinkie" transponder and either zip tie it to the "grill" in the front or just leave it in the frunk if it works that way as well.

Here in CA, the FasTrak transponder can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, as long as it is 'properly mounted' when used. That means affixed to the windshield in four approved locations (above or right of the mirror), lower left and lower right corners. It's also suggested that you register all of your vehicles descriptions (license plate, make, model) in the event that the transponder is not electronically read and they have to use camera images to track you down and bill you.

I store mine in the faraday bag in the center console. When I need it, I simply place it on the dashboard.

Do you literally just have it laying around in the frunk? I am still waiting on my perm plates for my Model 3 and don't want to get the regular sticker ez tag and am thinking about getting the "twinkie" transponder and either zip tie it to the "grill" in the front or just leave it in the frunk if it works that way as well.

Yep, we keep an ice chest up there, just in case we come across unexpected foodstuffs, and the EZ Pass is just wedged between it and the front carpeting. We haven't had a problem with it working, although we did discover that somehow, the clerk at the EZ Pass store had failed to actuate it, so we got popped with a fine on the Grand Parkway. Once I called them, the fine was rescinded, though. When the ice chest isn't in the frunk, the twinkie just hangs around the frunk. It has a label on it that says, "This Side Up", or something like that, but it doesn't seem to matter.

It is nice not to have the sticker in the window.

Bob

Yep, we keep an ice chest up there, just in case we come across unexpected foodstuffs, and the EZ Pass is just wedged between it and the front carpeting. We haven't had a problem with it working, although we did discover that somehow, the clerk at the EZ Pass store had failed to actuate it, so we got popped with a fine on the Grand Parkway. Once I called them, the fine was rescinded, though. When the ice chest isn't in the frunk, the twinkie just hangs around the frunk. It has a label on it that says, "This Side Up", or something like that, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Bob

Thanks for the confirmation :). That is what I’ll do as well when I finally get the Twinkie. I was hoping to find a ez tag store that had the test lane to test it out but it seems they removed all of them from the store locations.

I got this and mounted it to the right of the camera array, at the top of the windshield. I can't see it from the drivers side, and it's pretty subdued from the exterior. It's even less noticeable due to the factory tint at the top of the windshield. I didn't want to mount anything with adhesive so this was a good compromise, especially because it hides the ugly white. Never fails to register at the tolls.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2T6O30/

I'd spray paint the one I have black before adding more bulk. I have done that on other cars and it worked great.

• Helpful
Reactions: spacemnspiff

Bob
I put in my frunk

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo
I put it in console lid. Which is all plastic. I have not confirmed yet but I’m 99% sure it will work here. Practically made for it. Nice little pocket for it.

45361492955_90972d90d9_b_d.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: spacemnspiff