Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from an S to a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Money being no issue, I like the S better. 3 is a lot of tech for the money.
I’ve never bought a Tesla I had the heart to sell. They’re all great. I have found that the 3 is better for short errands and quick trips. If I’m in the car for more than an hour, I much prefer my S. The ride is definitely more refined and relaxing. The 3 is a blast to drive but the trade off is a harsher ride. My two cents.

I absolutely love my 3. Had it a year and and no issues at all. But, for driving vacations, my wife’s x is the E-ticket. That windshield is priceless driving thru beautiful scenery. The seats are better also, more supportive. The 3 and x are the best ev combination.

I've got a X100D and a P3D, I absolutely adore both cars. The X is definitely more comfortable obviously and super versatile. The 3 is a great all around car, it can do anything; its a supercar, a great commuter, a computer, and drives itself. but I'm actually second guessing buying the 3 instead of the S. The major reason is I'm coming from a mazdaspeed3 hatchback and a bmw i3, both of which are hatchbacks. The mazdaspeed especially had a ginormous cargo space for a small car; I've even loaded up dishwashers in it. no problem. I've seen all the model 3 videos before buying and thought the rear sedan opening was large enough.

Anyways, with christmas here, I went to put a large giftbox in the back of the 3, I was sure the box wasn't "that big" and it ended up not fitting through the rear opening..... Not a dealbreaker; but frustrating because the space was actually there in the trunk; just couldn't use it. So a Model S with its hatchback opening became a bit more tempting after this experience.

I've got a X100D and a P3D, I absolutely adore both cars. The X is definitely more comfortable obviously and super versatile. The 3 is a great all around car, it can do anything; its a supercar, a great commuter, a computer, and drives itself. but I'm actually second guessing buying the 3 instead of the S. The major reason is I'm coming from a mazdaspeed3 hatchback and a bmw i3, both of which are hatchbacks. The mazdaspeed especially had a ginormous cargo space for a small car; I've even loaded up dishwashers in it. no problem. I've seen all the model 3 videos before buying and thought the rear sedan opening was large enough.

Anyways, with christmas here, I went to put a large giftbox in the back of the 3, I was sure the box wasn't "that big" and it ended up not fitting through the rear opening..... Not a dealbreaker; but frustrating because the space was actually there in the trunk; just couldn't use it. So a Model S with its hatchback opening became a bit more tempting after this experience.

Hey, I am now in the process of deciding to buy a used 24k KM mileage 2018 Model X 75D with EAP (for a about 90k), or a brand new fully loaded (also with EAP) blue M3P for 80k.

I have been super torn as to which one to get. From your experience with both cars for extended time, what would your suggestion be? Which one should so get to get the most awesome time?

I also have both an X and a 3, and I wrote at length about the differences HERE.

If you are looking for the most-fun commuter, you will probably prefer the 3.

But if this will be your only EV, note that you will likely want to take it everywhere. The X is smoother, quieter, can tow, can carry more people and cargo, and access is easier for both cargo and people. So the X will have you covered for more situations.

Which car is better depends on how you drive, what is important to you about it, and what other vehicles are at your disposal. But both are great cars and I am sure you will enjoy which ever one you buy, so don't stress over the decision!

Last edited: