Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from an S to a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...are you glad you did...

It depends on what you want.

I prefer 2 screens (instrument clusters and 17" central display), roomier, hatchback, automatic unlocking/locking presentation...

I love my Model X better than the S because it has more room and automatic driver door opening/closing.

I also have Model 3, not because I like its features but because I like its price which is about 1/2 off previous models' prices.

It depends on what you want.

I prefer 2 screens (instrument clusters and 17" central display), roomier, hatchback, automatic unlocking/locking presentation...

I love my Model X better than the S because it has more room and automatic driver door opening/closing.

I also have Model 3, not because I like its features but because I like its price which is about 1/2 off previous models' prices.
if you're buying 2 tesla's. all you need is an x and a 3. s is obsolete.

If you already have a Model S P100D (especially with AP2 hardware) it would be a step or two down. With that in mind however, I’ve been very happy with my 3 and consider it an upgrade from my 4000VIN Model S.

Personally, if I had a Model S P100D I wouldn’t go to a Model 3 unless I either had on a lease and it was ending soon, or I could no longer afford it. The benefits for keeping the S are simply too vast. Free unlimited supercharging, free unlimited connectivity, more range, more trunk space, etc.

That being said, I wouldn’t buy a new Model S at this point either. A Performance 3 is plenty of fun for me, especially considering the cost.

The good news is that either way you’re still in a Tesla, and that’s not a bad place to be. :)

I ditched a 2013 Model S 85 that I loved for a performance Model 3.

The Model 3 beats it in every metric except for storage space. Don't think that applies to a 100D.

This here is what's known as first world problems. Do not see how you can go wrong. But my 3 is the best car ever for me. Have a Sig X 90D Ludicrous as well.

I do believe that there is a new S and X platform in the works that will use the newest and most energy dense batteries which will absolutely catapult the S and X to the 'best cars ever!' category. But then Tesla has a habit of doing that.

And yeah, it could be well over a year before Tesla has enough batteries to pull it off, but it is coming.

I moved from an S (P90DL) to a 3 (P3D+). Here are reasons why I switched (obviously not applicable to everybody):

1. A lot cheaper
2. My wife has an X, so we already have a car that can haul a lot of stuff; we don't need two cars with a ton of storage space
3. It is smaller. Assuming my wife has a big car for hauling stuff (see #2), I generally prefer smaller cars. More efficient, easier to park and wash, etc.
4. I didn't really switch because of this, but now that I have it, I prefer the 3's steering feel

Given our situation, I am largely glad I switched. The 3 takes care of all of my needs, and then some. That said, there are a lot of things I miss about my old S:

1. It was smoother and quieter. Not a ton, but enough to notice. It would make a difference on a road trip.
2. It was a lot quicker
3. It looked better
4. A large, powered hatch sure is a lot more convenient than a conventional trunk
5. I liked having two displays, so I could see more info at once
6. No phone-as-key problems
7. Things I don't miss, but others might depending on their options: adjustable suspension, rear-facing seats, extra width in second row, biohazard filter, sunroof that opens

Given my wife has an X, the 3 is really more suitable for us. I like the 3 a lot; but the only things I really prefer in the 3 over the S are the smaller size and the steering feel. And the price, obviously. If my wife didn't have the X, I would still have an S.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I would never give up my P85D w/AP1 for a model 3. Only switch I would consider is to a P100D.

There’s really no place to go from where you are at. Unless you really need a smaller car with fewer features for some reason.

My question is - have you gone from an S to a 3, and if so, are you glad you did?

First, as with everything in life, take heed when someone gives you binary advice on a subjective matter.

Second, yes, I am, and there are plenty of reasons why, most of which are obvious to anyone considering a 3. Really, the only two major shortcomings for me are:

-I miss is the power lift gate.
-The ride is definitely more sporty, which for long distances can be considered ‘more harsh’.

I was planning to but a test drive left me feeling the 3 was too small for my needs and I missed the hatchback. I never noticed any difference in technology between the two, if anything I preferred the 2 screen setup of the S. Everyone is different.

I went from an 85D to a P3D+ with every available option. Pluses and minuses to both but I really miss my S.... I miss the room and I love the look of the 3 but I love the look of the S more. I put over 100K miles on my S and over 13 K so far on my P3D+, so I consider myself an expert in comparing the two.

There is no way you can compare a 3, even the performance 3 optioned out like i have with a P100D. In my opinion you have the best car there is...in existence. If I could afford a P100D, I would have one.

If you are fine with the size of your P100D, and with it only being 18 months in, I would stick with it. If you don't need the larger car then maybe the Model 3 would be worth it at some point but if the size of the MS works for you I'd wait it out for the next refresh version. I love my Model 3 more than I thought I might having come from our MS75D which I love for so many reasons. Still feel the MS is the best car and the only thing that would make it better would be newer tech on par or surpassing the Model 3. Clearly the battery range both being about the same isn't an issue either way.

It's funny because I thought I would find the Model 3, with one screen especially, to be too stark and hate to say "cheap" (but not exactly) but it feels really good to me now after a few months of ownership. I recently was driving my husband's MS while mine was in for PPF and it's funny how when I first got in it, it felt like it had too many stalks on the column and too big of a steer wheel (which BTW I have always loved the feel of from Day 1). I kind of did feel like after driving my Model 3 that it seemed more dated. But spending a whole week in it, kind of forgot about that. I personally love the space of the MS and it's styling and I think if you are driving with passengers the MS is still a more comfortable car for all passengers.

OP are you only considering this because of the email? I think the points someone mentioned above about the Supercharging are valid if you find yourself traveling and needing to Supercharge.

Joining the fray, I enjoyed a S90D for 2.5 years. Asked my Tesla rep about buying my last 6 months of the S lease out for a Performance 3. Said no at first, then he was bumped up to corporate in CA. Called and said “yeah, I can do it now”. With my wife driving an X D100, I jumped. Now a month into the Performance 3, I love all BUT the small trunk door. I’m an avid road cyclist and have to now take the front wheel off to fit in the 3. Other than that, I love the sporty size of the 3. Plenty quick, I threw on a set of 18” winter wheels and look forward to going to back to the 20” performance tires in the spring. Took two drives to acclimate to the center screen. The X is the road trip vehicle, the Cayman S is this track car (although, I might track the 3 one time for comparison sake). Only other observation is the fast battery decline in winter’s cold.

...Model 3 that it seemed more dated...

Model 3 is behind in basic user operation for speed cruise control.

Model S and X has more stalks so owners can do a cruise resume.

For example, the speed sign is 45 MPH, the traffic is heavy and my desired speed was 28. If Autopilot or Cruise was canceled somehow, when I resume it, it would go back to 28 MPH. You can't do that with Model 3. When you resume it, it would go to 45 MPH, not what I desire previously at 28 MPH before the cancellation.

The 3 is definitely more fun to drive. It is more responsive, lighter, better cornering, better vision (apart from rear), easier to park, cheaper for tires, more efficient, better headlights, better tech, easier to ingress/exit, better seating position.
Thats said, as other have mentioned, I miss the auto rear hatch, the smooth ride for longer trips, and the look - oh my, the look. The S is a great looking car.