Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Germany and Want to Take Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am relocating to Germany and want to take my Tesla Model 3 with me. Anyone have any actual experience with doing this? I've read a lot of conflicting information - everything from just buy a converter - to it won't work, etc. I will need to charge only using SuperChargers, as I will live in an apartment with no ability to charge it there.

Also, any experience anyone has with what, if any, modifications are necessary to make to the car to meet strict German standards? Thanks for your insights.

Pretty sure if it could be done, one of those in Europe desperately wanting a Model 3 would have done it and we would have heard about it. You might be able to get an adapter for a wall outlet to work, but I think Supercharging is unlikely.

As far a Tesla is concerned, you can't even move one from the US to Canada, much less to Europe where charging standards are different. Remember that the Supercharges are not just a dumb outlet -- you have to have their approval to use them every time.

Good luck, and I hope someone gives you a positive answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johann Koeber
I am relocating to Germany and want to take my Tesla Model 3 with me. Anyone have any actual experience with doing this? I've read a lot of conflicting information - everything from just buy a converter - to it won't work, etc. I will need to charge only using SuperChargers, as I will live in an apartment with no ability to charge it there.

Also, any experience anyone has with what, if any, modifications are necessary to make to the car to meet strict German standards? Thanks for your insights.

Thanks for your response...I'm hoping there is a good solution out there.

European CCS is different from North American CCS. Also you will have no navigation maps and updates unless you do a SIM card swap. And Euro foglights must be fitted, rear amber turn signals and numerous other stuff. Forget taking tour car to Europe.

I am not sure what the current rules are, but when I was a kid we lived in Germany. My father was a US Armed Forces service member. We bought a US spec Volvo and had it delivered there. We drove that for years until we shipped it back to the USA.

There likely were special exemptions for US service members, but the reality was that US and European requirements were mostly stupid regulatory differences that didn't really matter in day to day use.

Your issue would be more of a practical one around charging (plus perhaps regulatory if they won’t let you import or register it).

I probably would want to avoid the hassle... Better to buy a locally equipped model 3 than to deal with these issues.

P.S. The one issue we had with my dads Volvo was that Europe was still burning leaded gas while the US was not. So they had to take out the catalytic converter and then my dsd had to use a fueling adapter since the leaded pumps nozzles were slightly larger than the hole in my dads fuel port.

Tesla has many cars in Germany, so it can easily be done, to swap SIM cards and charging ports and whatnot. It will only require a minor fee of $16,000 or so. We all know how Tesla loves to overcharge for every little thing to increase corporate profits.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nocturnal
The combination of all the modifications to the car that would be needed, AND the fact that supercharging is needed as the main form of charging (not home charging, which one has control over), means that OP should simply sell the car and buy one over there.

Since tesla knows which vehicles were purchased where (AND where they currently are, every time they phone home), its not like an ICE car where once a manufacturer sells it they really dont know what happens to it.

In addition to that, the vehicle asks for permission to supercharge every time, and a US vin will likely not get permission from tesla to supercharge at a supercharger in Germany. If OP was ONLY charging at home in germany, and never needed to use a public supercharger, AND was willing to deal with maps not updating etc because the vehicle was out of its sold into zone, that MIGHT work.

With OPs stated need to supercharge as primary form of charging, I dont see how this works. Also, it will likely cost more than the loss incurred on selling the model 3 here and buying one there. Losing money is why people generally dont want to sell a relatively new car, due to the depreciation loss... but it feels to me like OP will incur that loss trying to modify the car, AND end up in an unsupported state because of the need to use superchargers.

I was also planning on shipping one to Sweden. You would think that the Model 3 is compatable anywhere in the world.

I went to Tesla today and they showed me the difference between a US charging port for Model 3 and the European one. The are totally different. The representative said that there is no converter and even if there were, you couldn't use it at Supercharging stations...they just aren't compatible. Ugh.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1 and Rocky_H
Also verify tesla will still honer warranty work in Germany. BMW US does not honor warranty work in Germany. I had to wait 1-2 years to get the turbos replaced under class action lawsuit ruling as BMW US would not pay upfront for BMW Germany work. Didnt get fixed until I returned to the US.