Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my @MountainPass comfortable adjustables and solid front lower control arm bushings installed a couple days ago by @AftershockPDX. Went about 1.5 inches down from stock, which feels like a perfect balance between better looks and handling and still practical ride height. Ben at Aftershock dialed it to 12 front and 10 back. Ride feels both firmer than stock around corners and over some bumps, but also more compliant and less jarring than stock in general. Considering going a bit softer front and back but going to give it a few days to evaluate.

The bushings also make a huge difference with the steering. The front end feels much more connected and steering response is more direct now. Great upgrade for not a lot of money.

Also big shoutout to Danny at @MODEL+ for answering my many questions about suspension and wheels over the past couple months and providing fantastic customer service throughout. Now just need to wait another 14ish weeks for my VS Forged VS14 wheels to complete the package!

View attachment 694451

View attachment 694452
Looks wicked good. Enjoy in good health!

Reactions: mnewbs23
I installed the Adjustable Comfort Coil-overs last weekend on my new MP3. While I didn't have many miles on the new car (200 or so) it was enough to experience the harshness of the ride. Larger bumps definitely hit the stops (the pavement going to my house from the access road has a lot of irregularities due to patch jobs). I installed everything in my garage and following the recommended settings from MPP to the letter. Result?

I couldn't be happier! Although I didn't really care about lowering, following their instructions did lower the car some. To me, it seems the perfect amount, but that's not the driving motivation for me. The ride is significantly better. Much of the harshness is gone. No longer hitting the bump stops on my access road. The car now handles the road irregularities and floats right over them. My plan was to take off the 20" wheels and go to 18" wheels because when I test drove the car, I figured all that harshness was due to the low profile tires. I'm still going to do that, to get the very best ride possible. But now, I will say that if I hadn't already ordered the 18's, I could probably be convinced to keep the 20's in terms of ride quality. It made that much difference.

However, it's still "pothole hell" around here so for that reason I'm still better off with the 18's, but not now due to harshness. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I'm not one of those guys that would say it just because I bought them. (which I have found happens a lot on forums.)

The guys at MPP are great to work with. Had questions about the alignment afterwards and they walked the guy doing the alignment through it. Great product and great service after the sale. Can't ask for more. 2 thumbs up from this guy...

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 427
I installed the Adjustable Comfort Coil-overs last weekend on my new MP3. While I didn't have many miles on the new car (200 or so) it was enough to experience the harshness of the ride. Larger bumps definitely hit the stops (the pavement going to my house from the access road has a lot of irregularities due to patch jobs). I installed everything in my garage and following the recommended settings from MPP to the letter. Result?

I couldn't be happier! Although I didn't really care about lowering, following their instructions did lower the car some. To me, it seems the perfect amount, but that's not the driving motivation for me. The ride is significantly better. Much of the harshness is gone. No longer hitting the bump stops on my access road. The car now handles the road irregularities and floats right over them. My plan was to take off the 20" wheels and go to 18" wheels because when I test drove the car, I figured all that harshness was due to the low profile tires. I'm still going to do that, to get the very best ride possible. But now, I will say that if I hadn't already ordered the 18's, I could probably be convinced to keep the 20's in terms of ride quality. It made that much difference.

However, it's still "pothole hell" around here so for that reason I'm still better off with the 18's, but not now due to harshness. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I'm not one of those guys that would say it just because I bought them. (which I have found happens a lot on forums.)

The guys at MPP are great to work with. Had questions about the alignment afterwards and they walked the guy doing the alignment through it. Great product and great service after the sale. Can't ask for more. 2 thumbs up from this guy...
Great feedback! Did you also stick to MPP’s recommended rebound and compression settings?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I am glad we got the alignment sorted out too. I am always happy to help ❤️

- Jesse

Speaking of alignments, what is the consensus on the need for one? Considering that the rear has no adjustments and the front just involves sliding the top wishbone joint out and back in, it seems that the only thing that should be affected by a coilover install is the camber which isn't adjustable anyway.
Changes in camber greatly affect the toe, so much that when performing an alignment, the camber must always be adjusted before the toe, or else you'll be chasing your tail!

If you have already had an initial alignment done after the install, you would only need to have another done if you make a drastic change to your ride height settings. The initial alignment is necessary because many of the bolts involved in the installation have a lot of play. You could take a brand new stock Tesla and disassemble and reassemble the suspension and require an alignment after.

• Helpful
Reactions: dfwatt and Dave EV

Looks great and very similar to my car/my experience with the comfort adjustables. Well done!

Curious what the hub to fender measurement is, and if you had to use adjustable rear camber arms to get alignment to factory spec at the recommended settings? Car looks really good!

Curious what the hub to fender measurement is, and if you had to use adjustable rear camber arms to get alignment to factory spec at the recommended settings? Car looks really good!
I installed the MPP Adj Comfort Coilovers this past Friday. The hub to fender measurement was about 393mm (my buddy who recently took delivery of his '21 M3P also measured 393mm).

I set the perches on the coilovers to MPP recommended heights (74.4mm on the Fronts, 24mm on rears) and my final hub to fender measurements 381mm on all corners except the rear passenger - which came out to 378mm. My goal was about 3/4" drop so I might take it down another 4-5mm after everything settles.

I also installed rear camber arms and 15mm spacers. Getting my alignment this Friday (one week after install).

Hope that helps.

I installed the MPP Adj Comfort Coilovers this past Friday. The hub to fender measurement was about 393mm (my buddy who recently took delivery of his '21 M3P also measured 393mm).

I set the perches on the coilovers to MPP recommended heights (74.4mm on the Fronts, 24mm on rears) and my final hub to fender measurements 381mm on all corners except the rear passenger - which came out to 378mm. My goal was about 3/4" drop so I might take it down another 4-5mm after everything settles.

I also installed rear camber arms and 15mm spacers. Getting my alignment this Friday (one week after install).

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your feedback on the initial perch settings, I am happy they were nice and even! I hope you enjoy them and have a great rest of your summer.

Reactions: whatsupsor
I got my MPP Adj Comfort Coilovers (waiting to be installed) and am now debating if I want a few other related parts: 1) rear upper control arms, 2) rear toe arms, 3) Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings.

I will not track the car and don't do much spirited driving anymore , but still very much like to feel the good handling from a daily driver. I will lower the car with the default recommended settings. Any recommendations on if some of the above parts are no-brainer to have or good but necessary?

I got my MPP Adj Comfort Coilovers (waiting to be installed) and am now debating if I want a few other related parts: 1) rear upper control arms, 2) rear toe arms, 3) Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings.

I will not track the car and don't do much spirited driving anymore , but still very much like to feel the good handling from a daily driver. I will lower the car with the default recommended settings. Any recommendations on if some of the above parts are no-brainer to have or good but necessary?
I have all three. Depends how much you’re lowering the car and what alignment specs you want. The rear camber arms are a good idea because you will get negative camber from lowering and very little factory adjustment to get it back to factory specs. If you’re slamming the car, maybe rear toe arms. Otherwise just use the eccentric bolt for adjustment. LCA will make no difference if you don’t race IMO.

Reactions: yxm3
Hello... Are upgraded sway bars beneficial or not necessary for the comfort coil overs? Would they detract from the improved road feel? Apologies if this was already covered, but I read the whole thread and I've only seem sways mentioned in passing.

Hello... Are upgraded sway bars beneficial or not necessary for the comfort coil overs? Would they detract from the improved road feel? Apologies if this was already covered, but I read the whole thread and I've only seem sways mentioned in passing.
I don't think sways are necessary at this point. Unless you plan on auto-x or tracking your Model 3 and feel like there is either too much sway or need to dial in more or less understeer/oversteer. The car handles pretty flat already and I'm on 12/10 settings which probably skews more towards comfort. I would do the coil overs first and then make a decision about the sway bars after that.

At my next tire rotation I might drop the car another 5mm all around and set the dampers to 10/8 and see how I like the stiffer ride.