Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discussing it is the only way to gauge interest on a forum.

I totally agree. But, I was coming from the notion that's similar to "getting the cart ready before the horse." If you gauge interest now, you can get concrete Yes's and No's. Then you approach MPP about it to pitch the idea that you have X number of people interested in a group buy, what kind of discount can we get with it? But then you also roll with the possibility of there being a lot of Yes's, then when you approach MPP, they simply decline.

Instead, i'm suggesting to approach MPP first and pitch the group buy to find out whether or not they're even open to it. This way, if they say yes, you can iron out the details with MPP of what discount exactly you would be getting, and what minimum number of people would be needed to solidify such a deal. At that point, you would have a goal you can work towards, and can then garner more interest from forum members with the details.

Those are my two cents and why I think it would be a moot point until MPP agreed to it. .

Long time lurker here. I got in on the initial release of the Comfort Coilovers and had them installed in my LR AWD. The ride was smooth and compliant which I was mainly looking for. The coilovers soaked up the bumps well. I eventually sold the LR and bought a P. I have Eibach springs on the P and it's a noticeable difference. The little imperfections are decently soaked up by the dampers but what was most noticeable was hitting dips and raised lips on the road at freeway speeds. You would get thrown up and back down in a jarring manner. The springs are just too much for the stock dampers to handle, most noticeably for the big bumps. For little street imperfections, they're fine. The Eibachs are already considered a mild drop. I can't imagine how bad the ride is for the other springs that slam your car like H&R and UP.
Having a properly matched spring damper set is paramount if you want comfort. I'll likely swap the springs out for another set of Comforts.

I am about to put in a order for a M3 in the next month or so. Seeing that you have driven both the LR AWD and P I was hoping you can give me a recommendation on which way I should go. If I get the LR AWD I will option the 19" wheels and add AD. I would install MPP coil overs soon after. My other option a P str8 up and later on installing the coil overs.

I don't plan on tracking at all.

It was simply a question put out there on a current thread to see if it gain any traction. If it did and MPP saw the interest maybe they'd agree if not oh well. Yes your methodology works i just wasnt going to bother MPP with a question without having some approximate interest or wasnt going to start a new thread over the matter.

I am about to put in a order for a M3 in the next month or so. Seeing that you have driven both the LR AWD and P I was hoping you can give me a recommendation on which way I should go. If I get the LR AWD I will option the 19" wheels and add AD. I would install MPP coil overs soon after. My other option a P str8 up and later on installing the coil overs.

I don't plan on tracking at all.

If money isn't an issue, get the P, no matter which 3 you get, you'll always wish you got the P.

I have the non-adjustable comforts on my LR RWD. RWD may be a bit different than the dual motor setup, but my experience has been that it is rather difficult to achieve a minor drop like 1". The first time I had them installed, my shop used the MPP recommended settings. After the car had been on the ground for about a day they settled quite a bit and the car was much too low. I took them back to him for adjustment and he raised it up but they were still too low.

I lived with it for 6 months and brought it back to him for a third adjustment. This time he said he put the front perches just below their highest setting (as high as he was comfortable going). The front suspension is now about perfect, and pretty close to 1" drop from factory (possibly 1.25"), but the rear settled a lot and is still too low. It's still on my to-do list to try raising the rear a bit more.

So if you are really going for a 1" drop and don't want the super low look, I would recommend starting with the highest settings (least drop), put the car on the ground for a day to fully settle, and then adjust it again if you think it's not low enough.

A few other details in case they are relevant:
  • Car is a April 2018 build
  • MPP comfort coilovers ordered & installed in March 2019
  • Running stock 19" stilettos on stock Continental tires
  • 15mm spacers on front and 20mm on rear

Hope that helps, happy to answer any other questions you have.

Are you saying you weren't able to keep the stock ride height with the non-adjustable comfort coilovers?

Their website says: "Height adjustable from factory ride height down to 30mm below stock."

I just want better quality shocks so I no longer have the motion of the car throwing me up and forward out of my seat at freeway speeds that Tesla carefully programmed into their suspension. I believe this is why you see some threads with the driver's headrest being damaged because they keep their head against it during these wild suspension gyrations.

Any feedback on how the non-adjustables help with that suspension flaw? I don't want to track the car, and I also don't want to pay another 50% more for already very expensive shocks if I don't need the adjustability. I just want to get to more of a European premium, but sporty sedan ride.

I have mine set at about slightly lower drop than the stock P cars. It took two tries to get it dialed to this setting by my installer. I ran into the same situation of it being too low at first according to the recommended settings by MPP after it settled.

I have the non adjustable comforts for the RWD also. Even at this higher setting, I still find them to be noticeably more comfortable than stock ride height.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200709203418469_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200709203418469_COVER.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200709203313504_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200709203313504_COVER.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: T3SLAROD