Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 19 inch tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting new 19 inch tires for my MS and have narrowed it down to 2 Michelin tires. The two are the Primacy MXM4 and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. Both have 45k tread life and are similarly priced.

Discount/Americas Tire owner ratings are better for MXM4 while Tirerack owner ratings have the Pilot Sports as the rated.tire,. Looking for owners who have either tire and your opinions please. Thanks in advance.

Discount just put MXM’s on mine. They are horribly noisy. They boom over anything that looks like a bump. They are pulling them off and putting the Goodyear’s back on.

lol, that's funny. Last two sets on my car were MXM4s but I just went back to the OEM Goodyears because they were half the price. First thing I noticed was that the Goodyear noise level when brand new was as bad as the MXM4s completely worn.

lol, that's funny. Last two sets on my car were MXM4s but I just went back to the OEM Goodyears because they were half the price. First thing I noticed was that the Goodyear noise level when brand new was as bad as the MXM4s completely worn.
Noise level on pavement with a coarse surface is better with the MXM’s, but they boom terribly over even the smallest bump. Maybe I got some bad ones or they have changed the tire, but they boom on streets where the Goodyear’s are completely silent. Around here the streets tend to be bumpy.

Noise level on pavement with a coarse surface is better with the MXM’s, but they boom terribly over even the smallest bump. Maybe I got some bad ones or they have changed the tire, but they boom on streets where the Goodyear’s are completely silent. Around here the streets tend to be bumpy.

I have actually loved the Goodyear's. they are silent and treadwear very good. Im at 36k and can probably squeeze 1 or 2k miles more. Perhaps I should look at them too.

I had the MXM4's as my OEMs and now have the A/S3+'s with about 20K miles on them. IMO, noise is equal on both. The A/S's handle a bit better, especially in snow (probably not an issue in LA...)

I got 27K out of the MXMs. I'm at 4mm with 20K on the A/S's, so probably about the same in terms of wear.

When these A/S's are shot, I'm going to replace them with another set.

There are different compounds, from soft to very hard. The hard ones are very loud. U feel every bump. Last longer they hydroplain in very heavy rain.
My winter MS tires r very soft, quiet. Dont last as long.
BUT, there is a very different noise level for road texture. Cement, asphalt , gravel. Your daily roads make a world of difference .
I've driven in over 25 states, and none were the same. Michigan was worse, omg horrible. You have to decide, noise, ride, u cant have both in your daily drive if your roads are changing on daily commutes.

Like 'ucmndd' I got the Goodyear Eagle RS/A 2's two after my first set wore out in 13,701 miles primarily because they were only $110 each. However, now these are worn to 2mm on the rear (after another 13,000 miles) and replacement is $170 per tire. This time I'm going to go with Michelin -- it's too much a hassle to go back for replacements. Like the OP I'm debating the Primacy MXM4 vs the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The A/S3s are an extra $25 per tire. I understand they have a stronger sidewall for better lateral support, though another thread mentioned possible vibration problems? Mmm, $100 for better handling? I've seen a lot of positive comments on the MXM4s.

Like 'ucmndd' I got the Goodyear Eagle RS/A 2's two after my first set wore out in 13,701 miles primarily because they were only $110 each. However, now these are worn to 2mm on the rear (after another 13,000 miles) and replacement is $170 per tire. This time I'm going to go with Michelin -- it's too much a hassle to go back for replacements. Like the OP I'm debating the Primacy MXM4 vs the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The A/S3s are an extra $25 per tire. I understand they have a stronger sidewall for better lateral support, though another thread mentioned possible vibration problems? Mmm, $100 for better handling? I've seen a lot of positive comments on the MXM4s.

Maybe it’s the stiff sport suspension I have, but I have yet to exceed the limits of the mxm4. I can’t imagine the style of driving people are doing to require a stiffer sidewall. I recall a few recently claiming the mxm4’s were too stiff and were looking for suggestions of a softer tire. (?)