Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Refresh threshold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I noticed your previous posts regarding this topic. It's optimal for me to have it charged at 50-55%. It's Plaid and I often want it at 80-90% range to get all power which is easy to top up with 11 kw AC when needed.

When car is ready to rest it's even easier to deplete battery back to ~50% :)
Also, having a little lower SOC and adding charge before the “fun is to begin” will warm the battery so then already half ready for Plaid- and dragstrip mode :)

Reactions: zivac87
Slightly off topic, but what is your SMT hardware setup for your refresh MS?

Used SMT on the old MS, but the OBD reader was hit or miss.
Slightly difference in the harness/connector I think compared to older MS.

I use the OBD Link MX+
The simpler variant should work with Android, but for iphone etc, MX+ is needed.

I did use a samsung tablet in my M3P but there is no space for it in the MSP. Curently stowed in the middle console.
The tablet sends data to teslalogger.

Slightly difference in the harness/connector I think compared to older MS.

I use the OBD Link MX+
The simpler variant should work with Android, but for iphone etc, MX+ is needed.

I did use a samsung tablet in my M3P but there is no space for it in the MSP. Curently stowed in the middle console.
The tablet sends data to teslalogger.
Thanks. I had the MX + on the 85D, but it would often fail to connect with my android. What adapter harness did you use?

I ordered this cable harmess:
20 pin OBD II-Adapterkabel Scan My Tesla Model S/X (> 09/2021) (LR + P

Also bought S3XY Buttons which connect on the same car connector and includes a harness.
I ended up mixing the harnesses and use the one which has one cable more in the OBD-connector. Dunno which it is of the two.

SMT works fine, I use a OBD-splitter 1-2 to use both SMT and the S3XY Buttons commander. Works fine.
I had a OBD2 interrupt cable between the harness and the MX+ to be able to power cycle the OBD Link MX+ when the connection was lost which happened fairly often on the M3P I had.
Its currently installed on my MSP but has not been needed even once yet.

If any problem and you do not use a OBDLink MX+ I guess the reason is that the other dongles have a hard time coping with the amount of data sent each second via the dongle.

My NFP increased to 97kWh today and the Teslafi says range is 559.73km (347.9mi).

Looks like 97 or very close to is the treshold.

Forgot to look at SMT estimated range, but will check tomorrow.
Threshold is actually pretty high compared to other models. Its great you got the Plaid, it will probably benefit us all once you start experimenting with it, there is lacking ton of informations unlike for Model 3 / Y :)

Reactions: AAKEE
I ordered this cable harmess:
20 pin OBD II-Adapterkabel Scan My Tesla Model S/X (> 09/2021) (LR + P

Also bought S3XY Buttons which connect on the same car connector and includes a harness.
I ended up mixing the harnesses and use the one which has one cable more in the OBD-connector. Dunno which it is of the two.

SMT works fine, I use a OBD-splitter 1-2 to use both SMT and the S3XY Buttons commander. Works fine.
I had a OBD2 interrupt cable between the harness and the MX+ to be able to power cycle the OBD Link MX+ when the connection was lost which happened fairly often on the M3P I had.
Its currently installed on my MSP but has not been needed even once yet.

If any problem and you do not use a OBDLink MX+ I guess the reason is that the other dongles have a hard time coping with the amount of data sent each second via the dongle.
Sexy button OBDone commander can connect to SMT as well (via BT?). I guess it's bit laggy compared to OBD Link MX+?

Sexy button OBDone commander can connect to SMT as well (via BT?). I guess it's bit laggy compared to OBD Link MX+?
Its apparently a buggy beta feature so far, and as I understand it it doesnt give 100% of the functions.

As per your other post, it must be relatively close to 97 kWh out of 99.4 full pack when new so about 2.4% below FPWN.
That is close to the 76kWh out of 77.8 in the classic M3LR and 80.5 out of 82.1 on my old M3P refresh.

NFP 97.4 today and all data seem to show that I’m above the threshold, or very close to.
Scan my tesla eatimates 561km full range, and Nominal Remaining / SOC in tenths = 560km or 348.3mi.

All datapoints togheter points to the charge constant being 173.5Wh/km including the buffer.
Excluding the buffer it is 165.65Wh/km.

In Wh/mi = 279.1Wh/mi.

So 348 mi = 97.1-97.2 kWh at 348 miles.

The buffer is the same as M3/MY, variable and 4.5% of the total capacity.

At 98.0 the range is defenitively stuck at 560km/348mi.
I saw 561 calculated in SMT but modt probably a rounding error.

IMG_4315.jpegIMG_4314.jpeg

I use the original SMT but I guess the S3XY Buttons beta does the same.

As I use 55% as the normal charging target, the calculsted max range will vary a mile/km of a few from this.

Going to work monday, a 240km drive so I will charge more than the daily 55%.

I use the original SMT but I guess the S3XY Buttons beta does the same.

As I use 55% as the normal charging target, the calculsted max range will vary a mile/km of a few from this.

Going to work monday, a 240km drive so I will charge more than the daily 55%.
Did you get 2023.20.9 update? My range is now shown in WLTP? instead of EPA rating.

Did you get 2023.20.9 update? My range is now shown in WLTP? instead of EPA rating.
Yes, I installed the .9 the day before yesterday.
No change in shown range in that matter for me.
As seen on the blue line there is no big change. (Teslafi calulates range from rounded SOC numbers, this causes the range to jump up and down even if the Nominal full pack is the same.
For me, the NFP has climbed each charge but this doesn’t show here as the rounding and coincidence hides it. (I have made a ticket in this as the average line can not be used to anything usefull as it mostly stucks in between at 598-599km)

The green average line is jumping very much up and down, as appearently the wheel selection in the service menu affects this. I see 637 km with 19” wheels, but 560km with the 21” selection.
IMG_4324.jpeg

The included datapoints for my car is shown here, the five latest charges in the picture, as seen no change to WLTP after update to .9.
(WLTP would be 600km for 21”. And 695km for 19”, but that is a estimate, no real WLTP test.)

IMG_4325.jpeg

At teslalogger its easier to see the two different wheel options showing different range (EPA 21” = 560km and EPA 19”= 637km)

IMG_4326.jpeg

Is teslafi and teslalogger showing range for both 19 and 21" together in fleet average? It seems odd.

I had to reset car after update, it was showing 50% 300 km range in official app/car with 21" Arachnid when updating to 2023.20.9,
Now its back to normal EPA range

Is teslafi and teslalogger showing range for both 19 and 21" together in fleet average? It seems odd.
Teslafi seem to mix both in the same graph.

I could change the wheels in the menu and climb from the second worst range to one of the best.

Teslalogger also show both in the same graph but thereypu can see the individual datapoints and compare with the correct range / Wheel selection.
I had to reset car after update, it was showing 50% 300 km range in official app/car with 21" Arachnid when updating to 2023.20.9,
Now its back to normal EPA range
Good!