Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-Inverter System w Powerwalls Question About Pulling From Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
I’m curious about where power comes from under a certain scenario. Here goes:

Inverter 1 w 4 PWs (in backup mode) is generating 8kW from solar and is feeding it back to the grid since the home is only needing 2kW.

Inverter 2 w 2 PWs (in backup mode) is also generating 8kW from solar but the home is using 14kW as I’m charging a car. The app shows that it’s pulling 6kW from the grid.

My question: even though the app shows inverter 2 pulling 6kW from the grid, is that energy really coming from the excess power that inverter 1 is sending back to the grid? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Yes, assuming that you have two separate systems, each with their own TEG that are connected to the same electrical service with one grid connection. Because the two TEGs are separate and don’t know what the other is doing you won’t see this in the app, but the power for the second system will be coming from the excess solar power produced by the first system, and in your example you will be drawing no power from and sending no power to the grid.