Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Assuming the primary purpose of the seal is not aesthetic I’d believe it should sit proud of the two mating surfaces to allow for
  • tolerance in the natural shifting of surfaces
  • exposing an adequate supplemental area of the seal to be subject to elements, accelerated degradation; protecting a deeper ‘working’ surface below
  • to ensure full surface area of screen and cowl are sealed entirely in a compressed area of seal body
Just doesn’t sit right (sorry for pun) that the seal would be flush or sub surface to the glass and cowl.
Hi that helps.

Agreed. Assuming the primary purpose of the seal is not aesthetic I’d believe it should sit proud of the two mating surfaces to allow for
  • tolerance in the natural shifting of surfaces
  • exposing an adequate supplemental area of the seal to be subject to elements, accelerated degradation; protecting a deeper ‘working’ surface below
  • to ensure full surface area of screen and cowl are sealed entirely in a compressed area of seal body
Just doesn’t sit right (sorry for pun) that the seal would be flush or sub surface to the glass and cowl.
Hi that helps.
Yes, makes sense that the seal should actually seal and I can't see why it would just be aesthetic. Unless of course there is some other form of sealing underneath somewhere. I'll plug a service request in and advise what comes back. Could be a while :)

I had a closer look at the sealing mechanism when the rain stopped today and also took the cover off the brake fluid reservoir so I could see what was going on under the seal.

It's not easy to see without stripping stuff out, but it seems like the seal might not actually be attached to the base of the windscreen. It felt more like an inverted 'T' profile with the screen butted up against one side and the cowl against the other. So if everything is in place correctly, I don't think the seal actually overlaps the cowl as such, just butts up against it. Same with the screen side. So no overlap and more like a "sandwich" if that makes any sense?

Mine is pretty uniform all along except for a 2 or 3 inch section near the passenger side wiper which isn't quite as neat. The cowl isn't sitting proud there but the cowl/seal/screen sandwich isn't quite uniform. Beneath this section I could feel some wetness but nothing elsewhere. I couldn't see anything actually dripping and the gear below looked dry. So I figure there are a few drops of water getting in but hopefully nothing to cause an issue. I'll be testing with a watering can on Saturday - cue odd stares from the neighbours again! "Why are you watering your electric car" :)

I also checked the missus's VW and her screen seems to have a very similar sealing arrangement.

So not 100% happy yet but if I don't get any noticeable leaks after a bit of wet testing, I'll just run with it.

Cheers

Reactions: Boggle
I also looked at my car a Mercedes c class, awaiting delivery of my model 3.
The Mercedes is exactly the same setup. Screen meets plastic panel.
I’ve never had any problems with it. Once the water runs down the windscreen where does it go? Is there some kind of drain?

Dave

I also looked at my car a Mercedes c class, awaiting delivery of my model 3.
The Mercedes is exactly the same setup. Screen meets plastic panel.
I’ve never had any problems with it. Once the water runs down the windscreen where does it go? Is there some kind of drain?

Dave
The water appears to pass over the plastic cowl and then either down via the wiper shaft holes or to drains at the side. You can't actually see much but there must be some ducting underneath. You'd probably see it dripping out under the car if you tested. Looks like it's a fairly standard arrangement

OK, in a brief break in the weather I have taken photos of the cowl seal area on my M3 after it was repaired and refitted. Presumably this is therefore how it's supposed to look. You will notice that the cowl is in line with the bottom edge of the windscreen and the edge of the seal is very slightly proud. If your seal area looks like this then hopefully all should be well.
cowlseal.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Boggle and JS77
OK, in a brief break in the weather I have taken photos of the cowl seal area on my M3 after it was repaired and refitted. Presumably this is therefore how it's supposed to look. You will notice that the cowl is in line with the bottom edge of the windscreen and the edge of the seal is very slightly proud. If your seal area looks like this then hopefully all should be well.
View attachment 513786
Thanks for that. Other than the small section I mentioned above where mine isn't quite uniform, mine looks the same. I'm washing it today so will take off the cover near the cowl and place a few pieces of kitchen roll underneath the seal to check for any leaks. Hopefully it's OK

Any chance an image of the new connector - not sure how easy it is to get access

Unfortunately I don't know exactly where the loom connection was repaired. I can see down the side near the right side (as you look at it) a fairly untidy taped up section of loom but I don't have a "before" picture to compare. Whether there is a connector under there I don't know. It's still wet here, and strong winds, so not ideal for poking about potentially vulnerable areas! If it ever gets dry again (I'm giving up hope!) I'll have another look.

View attachment 513786

ahh excellent so it looks like I’ve done roughly the same but not quite as neat as yours. I’ll book mine in also but it certainly made a lot of sense the seal would be sandwiched between cowl and screen left slightly proud to prevent ingress.
Thanks for the image. Very reassuring

View attachment 513786
Thanks for this and have just finally managed to thumb it all in nice and neat like yours, and glad that’s how it’s meant to be now as were a few drops of water underneath where it hadn’t been flush before and I’d been out in the rain earlier

OK, so I washed the car today, finishing with the usual hose pipe rinse. I'd placed some kitchen roll under the seal near a section which didn't look uniform, basically where the wiper ends deflect water down onto the cowl. The bad news is that it absolutely pi$$ed in, not dripping but pouring. The seal won't budge so I'll have to book a service visit. The worrying thing is that the seal only looks marginally out of place - a quick glance would suggest there isn't an issue. So I reckon there could be a lot like this unfortunately.

Not sure where the waterfall is going when past the seal but it can't be good. It wasn't obvious initially as there is no kit directly underneath for the water to impinge on. But what's happening lower down is anyone's guess.

It's an easy test to do so if your cowl/window seal doesn't look perfect, try the paper towel trick and you may find a similar problem. Sigh, not happy. Nearest SC is in Brum 50 miles away :(

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Had a look at the situation on mine today prior to giving it a wash. Everything on the driver side appeared to be flush (windscreen, seal and cowl.) Passenger side seal seemed flush with the windscreen but there's a noticeable gap between it and the cowl.

Had a look at the situation on mine today prior to giving it a wash. Everything on the driver side appeared to be flush (windscreen, seal and cowl.) Passenger side seal seemed flush with the windscreen but there's a noticeable gap between it and the cowl.
Take the brake fluid reservoir cover off and pack some paper towels under the dodgy section. Then pour a couple of jugs of water on the windscreen. Mine gushed through :(

More and more of these leakage issues seem to be cropping up on the Facebook groups unfortunately. Brum SC was offered for mid April (!) so we had to take Milton Keynes next week to try to get ours resolved - they want us to drop the car off at 6am! I'm trying to work out how to talk to them to ask for a drop off the day before and also a to arrange a loaner. At least they've acknowledged a "known" issue and that parts have to be ordered. Maybe it won't be next week after all if parts need to be shipped in.

Anyone have any idea if the water going in is actually coming out underneath the car or is that area full sealed? The bodywork underneath seems to be continuous but I'd imagine there are drains somewhere. Unless of course it's from an area that isn't supposed to get wet! In that case, there might be gallons washing around in there. Anyone ever seen the base of the compartment where the 12v battery sits please?

Cheers
Noah

I collected my car on Saturday. Fantastic car, really pleased with it.
I had a look at the panel below the windscreen tonight. The panel was sticking up at the right hand side, managed to push that down. The lowest part of the panel at the passenger side windscreen didn’t look right. I removed the plastic cowl that covers the air intake. Just pulls off.
There is a gap next to the washer bottle where you can get your hand in. If you follow the washer bottle tube there is an electrical connection attached to the side of it.
I poured a jug of water on the windscreen, the water peed in. No matter how much I mucked about with this panel couldn’t get it to stop leaking.
In frustration I put my hand under the panel and pushed it up about 10 inches long. underneath the panel there is a thin lip. On the rubber seal there is a groove. I pushed the panel up towards the windscreen then down so the lip fitted into the groove. I poured another jug of water on the windscreen and had my hand underneath never felt a drip.
I don’t know if this is a permanent fix, as it may move as the car is run. I’ll keep an eye on it. Your better put put the windscreen wipers into service mode To do this.

I collected my car on Saturday. Fantastic car, really pleased with it.
I had a look at the panel below the windscreen tonight. The panel was sticking up at the right hand side, managed to push that down. The lowest part of the panel at the passenger side windscreen didn’t look right. I removed the plastic cowl that covers the air intake. Just pulls off.
There is a gap next to the washer bottle where you can get your hand in. If you follow the washer bottle tube there is an electrical connection attached to the side of it.
I poured a jug of water on the windscreen, the water peed in. No matter how much I mucked about with this panel couldn’t get it to stop leaking.
In frustration I put my hand under the panel and pushed it up about 10 inches long. underneath the panel there is a thin lip. On the rubber seal there is a groove. I pushed the panel up towards the windscreen then down so the lip fitted into the groove. I poured another jug of water on the windscreen and had my hand underneath never felt a drip.
I don’t know if this is a permanent fix, as it may move as the car is run. I’ll keep an eye on it. Your better put put the windscreen wipers into service mode To do this.
Interesting thanks, I'll give it a try

the thing to bear in mind here, is that this issue doesn't look like it's strictly an issue with the windscreen seal, it's more related to the positioning of a none-water-tight plug that apparently has now been moved slightly and made water-resistant.
If there were larger issues related to the seal, we'd see this issue on the US and other EU LHD cars.
It would be good if there were some images of what has actually changed, as Tesla may not issue a recall and some people may want to protect themselves a little better than pushing at a windscreen seal, as this may only buy time (or at least check if their car has the fix already or is potentially going to fail at some point).