Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple safety systems failure (M3P) completely out of the blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my 2020 M3P announce multiple failed systems this morning as I was pulling up at a traffic light. Completely out of the blue with no prior signs that anything was wrong.

Stability control
ABS
Vehicle hold
Traction control
Lane avoidance
Regen

Brakes now have to pushed much harder, the steering assistance feels a little 'different' and with with no throttle the car basically coasts along with barely any deceleration - almost like there is still some power being applied which is a little worrying.

A two button reset and two button + brake pedal didn't make any difference.

I carried on to to work anyhow and submitted a service request (and called to chase it up) but I've still not heard anything back.

Anyone else had this happen and how easily is it fixed by Tesla? I'm hoping they can just do some kind of remote reset but I suspect it'll need to go in.

I presume the car is safe to drive (with care) without these systems?

I'm guessing that it's probably a single wheel sensor that's failed.

Yes, sounds like wheel speed sensor failure. A ranger should be able to fix it but they may want it looked at in a service centre.
Some are going to tell you not to drive it in that state.
Personally, I'd be OK driving it but then I've had experience of that failure so know what to expect.
Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and Mark77a
Yeah, thanks for confirming what I thought. I don't really have much choice in driving it unless they come and take it away and bring me another which I think is unlikely.

Just a bit frustrating that I've still not had any reply from the service request yet.

Just FYI, a common cause of this is when the cable on one of the front sensors becomes loose and the wire wears through after coming in contact with the tyre. Swapping it out is a 10 minute job and you should be able to see if the cable is defective without taking the wheel off so you can at least diagnose it for them and maybe avoid a SC visit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Contact Tesla Roadside, they are the team that will keep you moving if your car has a fatal issue like this. Service Requests will get treated as if it's not a priority and can wait until the appointment you booked.

Contact Tesla Roadside, they are the team that will keep you moving if your car has a fatal issue like this. Service Requests will get treated as if it's not a priority and can wait until the appointment you booked.
Agree. if all that has failed it is not really safe to drive. Call roadside assist get them to tow it to a service centre and give you a loaner or hire car.
I ended up with a hire car under similar circs at a weekend and on Monday they were calling me up to ask me to bring it back and swap it for a loaner a 70 mile round trip! so I negotiated they look at my car first and it if was a long job I would come in and swap them over but if it was quick then get on with it and stop asking me to waste my time. It was fixed the next day.
Nothing like a hire car bill and a car clogging up their yard to focus them on the fix I find 😁 .

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
FYI,

I just received the same exact errors.

The service mode showed 11 errors and specifically pointed to the front left wheel speed sensor. I went and picked one up at the Tesla Service Center about 42 miles away. It cost $98.

I drove my P3D all the way there with all of the errors showing. Everything was fine except I had no FSD or cruise or Regen or anything.

Anywhoo, I took the wheel off and saw that the tire had been rubbing the wheel sensor wire. There was a 10mm bolt holding the wire on and another 10mm bracket holding the wheel speed sensor on.

I disconnected the wheel speed sensor from the connecter. I reversed the process, and all errors went away.
BTW it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to disconnect the connector. All in all, it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.