Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Supercharging Network to Double Next Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk announced a major expansion of the Supercharging network by the end of 2019.

Musk said Tesla Supercharger capacity will double by the end of next year. He said the network “will be within range of 95% to 100% of population in all active markets.”

Tesla’s website currently shows 11,414 chargers in all active markets, which is short of the company’s goal for 18,000 Superchargers around the world by the end of this year. So, double the current number would put 23,000 Superchargers in service around this time next year.

Musk also said that the next generation of the company’s fast-charging stations called Supercharger V3 will start rolling out “early next year.”

Musk also said the charge rate would be “much faster.” Tesla executives have suggested that the charge rate for the next Supercharger’s will be about 250 kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I really hope he is right this time as it appears most of the promised 2018 charging stations will not even be started by the end of the year. I am assuming he wanted to show a large profit Q3 and so the buildout was slowed. For example look at the picture below. We are planning a trip around Lake Superior and were thrilled to see the planned build out in 2018. But we are now in mid-November and this screen shot shows 31 stations yet to be built in 2018 as compared to 22 ones on-line.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I think Tesla is doing pretty well with superchargers. But not so well with the perpetual lies.

Please. A lie means there was intent to deceive. When a person shares plans, hopes, desires, goals, and such, it is not a lie. If you interpret Musk's comments as promises not kept or as intentional deception to screw waiting customers, I feel you are wrong. If you are simply discouraged over waiting for these hopes to materialize, I understand your pain. You may think Musk gets carried away and things take longer than he hopes, but you know that it is amazing how much he actually does get done. There were zero superchargers six years ago when I drove from Napa Valley to Canada and back.

@cpa I gave a generalized statement about more coverage for US highways, and then I gave three example places I know of. I was not at all suggesting that other US highways, like the one you mentioned, should not be covered.

Oh, Rocky! I did not infer from your comment anything of the sort. I agreed with you! But I also mentioned that for the more isolated places to receive Superchargers like Burns, that Tesla likely would want to have those locations accessible to more travelers from more than one direction. Every city I listed in my first paragraph except for John Day is on one of your suggested highways. I just tossed in cities on 395 to emphasize that there would be north-south drivers passing through Burns as well as east-west drivers.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Strictly speaking, VW paid money to an organization that's installing chargers.
Also, other manufacturers have paid EVgo some money, so may be installing chargers indirectly.

But they aren't explicitly installing chargers.

Strictly speaking, Volkswagen AG owns all of Volkswagen Group of America, which in turn owns all of ElectrifyAmerica, the organisation that's installing the chargers.

So yes, they are explicitly installing chargers.

Unless you mean that they are getting construction firms to do the installing.

In which case, Tesla aren't explicity installing chargers either. Both Tesla and ElectrifyAmerica pay construction firms such as Black & Veatch to do the actual installation work.