Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges, Will Step Down as Tesla’s Chairman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk will give up his chairman title under the terms of a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission related to fraud charges, according to a release.

Musk and Tesla have agreed to settle the charges against them without admitting or denying the SEC’s allegations. Among other relief, the settlements require that:

Musk will step down as Tesla’s Chairman and be replaced by an independent Chairman. Musk will be ineligible to be re-elected Chairman for three years;

Tesla will appoint a total of two new independent directors to its board;

Tesla will establish a new committee of independent directors and put in place additional controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications;

Musk and Tesla will each pay a separate $20 million penalty. The $40 million in penalties will be distributed to harmed investors under a court-approved process.

“The total package of remedies and relief announced today are specifically designed to address the misconduct at issue by strengthening Tesla’s corporate governance and oversight in order to protect investors,” Stephanie Avakian, Co-Director of the SEC’s Enforcement Division, said in a release.

According to the SEC’s complaint against him, Musk tweeted on August 7, 2018 that he could take Tesla private at $420 per share — a substantial premium to its trading price at the time — that funding for the transaction had been secured, and that the only remaining uncertainty was a shareholder vote. The SEC’s complaint alleged that, in truth, Musk knew that the potential transaction was uncertain and subject to numerous contingencies. Musk had not discussed specific deal terms, including price, with any potential financing partners, and his statements about the possible transaction lacked an adequate basis in fact. According to the SEC’s complaint, Musk’s misleading tweets caused Tesla’s stock price to jump by over six percent on August 7, and led to significant market disruption.

The settlement is subject to court approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ludalicious
So, Elon has to step down as Chairman of the Board within 45 days. Tesla will be required to appoint — or I guess nominate? — a new independent Chairperson. I wonder who that could be?

Who should get in the mix? My first thought was Larry Page, but that would be a conflict of interest since Waymo and Tesla are competitors.

Reactions: jboy210
So, Elon has to step down as Chairman of the Board within 45 days. Tesla will be required to appoint — or I guess nominate? — a new independent Chairperson. I wonder who that could be?

Who should get in the mix? My first thought was Larry Page, but that would be a conflict of interest since Waymo and Tesla are competitors.

Bob Lutz!!!!!!

Does this terminate any department of Justice action? Not an American. Don’t know the system.

Thanks in advance.
We have renamed the Security and Exchange Commission, its now called Team America: World Tweet Police. I wouldn't worry about Department of Justice, it is too busy investigating High School parties and Russian adoption meetings. Looks like the decline of the west continues.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
...Does this terminate any department of Justice action?...

DOJ has never announced that it has officially investigating Tesla but it did ask for a voluntary request for documents which can eventually become a criminal inquiry if there's something suspicious in those voluntary documents.

This settlement without a guilty sentence is not a good criminal evidence so it might not be very strong enough for DOJ to pursue.

Reactions: JeffC
DOJ has never announced that it has officially investigating Tesla but it did ask for a voluntary request for documents which can eventually become a criminal inquiry if there's something suspicious in those voluntary documents.

This settlement without a guilty sentence is not a good criminal evidence so it might not be very strong enough for DOJ to pursue.

Thank you. I’d like to think this is over. Maybe give Elon some time to concentrate on other things including personal life. He’s a good man who needs to enjoy life a bit. Wishing him and his family well. Wish I could buy a couple dozen shares but too close to retirement. Have to buy a model Y to support him...someday. :).

Things like "forgiveness" and "treating others as you want to be treated" has clearly been thrown out of the window.

Accountability is important too. When you make a mistake, it is important to take steps to undo the damage and prevent future mistakes like it. When a person takes accountability for their actions, and is held accountable by others, that actually makes it easier to forgive a mistake and a move on.

Accountability is important too. When you make a mistake, it is important to take steps to undo the damage and prevent future mistakes like it. When a person takes accountability for their actions, and is held accountable by others, that actually makes it easier to forgive a mistake and a move on.

But it wasn't a mistake. At least in my eyes.

I can turn on just about ANY United States news channels and find TONS of "mistakes" without ANY accountability.