Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"Tesla’s Version 10 (V10) firmware is on the horizon and will be released to owners starting as early as August, according to CEO Elon Musk. After the company’s Early Access Program results from V10 are assessed and addressed, a wide release of the firmware will follow.

“Depends on how release to owners with early access goes, but hopefully wide release by end of August,” Musk replied on Twitter to a question about V10’s availability.

Several upcoming V10 features were revealed by Musk on Twitter, including new games, infotainment features, improvements in Autopilot behavior on highways as well as better traffic light and stop sign recognition, and Smart Summon (previously Enhanced Summon). Also mentioned was a feature called “Joe Mode” which would lower the volume of Autopilot warnings and notifications by half. Musk additionally noted that some infotainment features will need a premium connectivity package."

Elon Musk hopes to release Tesla’s V10 firmware by end of August, will include Smart Summon

I did not expect that V10 would be released already. We should note that Musk conditions it by saying "hopefully end of august" after early access. There could be delays but it is still nice to know that V10 is on the horizon.

Also, if you scroll down Musk's tweets, he says that hands free texting is coming to V10 where the car will read out loud our text messages and we can respond with our voice. Very happy. That's a feature that we've been waiting awhile for.

upload_2019-7-28_10-57-47.png

What features?

When compared to our Subaru, the list is quite long - especially in the safety and convenience area. Some examples include; rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring/alert, DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System, Reverse Automatic Braking, functional Lane Keep Assist (see "Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)), voice commands (especially given the lack of physical knobs/settings), etc.

Edit: There is also another v10 thread, where folks are citing examples.

When compared to our Subaru, the list is quite long - especially in the safety and convenience area. Some examples include; rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring/alert, DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System, Reverse Automatic Braking, functional Lane Keep Assist (see "Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)), voice commands (especially given the lack of physical knobs/settings), etc.

We have a rear camera for rear cross traffic. Tesla already has excellent blind spot monitoring/alert. Driver focus system would be nice I guess, but we have the steering nags that work. Not sure what reverse automatic braking is. Lane Keep Assist is not needed since Tesla has something much better already called Auto Steer that actually centers in the lane instead of just assisting the driver. More voice commands would be nice, I agree. But like I said, texting voice commands are coming in V10 so we are getting that.

Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things.

What features?

I would take basic playlist support for one. Or voice commands for things like temperature, fan speed, etc. My 2009 Lexus had that ability. Simple stuff. Could care less about new games.

It is hard to get excited about finally getting text messaging capability when every single car I have rented in the last few years has provided that. And rentals are always the base models from other manufacturers.

As far as the coming AP features, I will believe it when I see it. V9 was supposed to the the release that finally had the first FSD features. And that never happened. They just redefined what “FSD” was so that NoA counted. :rolleyes: And I am pretty sure enhanced summon was supposed to be in V9 not V10. Either way, they still haven’t released a single feature yet from my FSD purchase back in 2017. V8 was supposed to be the on ramp to off ramp with interchanges capability release (for AP1!).

Lesson learned: never get excited about the next software revision before release. It will deliver only a small fraction of the things it was advertised.

We have a rear camera for rear cross traffic. Tesla already has excellent blind spot monitoring/alert. Driver focus system would be nice I guess, but we have the steering nags that work. Not sure what reverse automatic braking is. Lane Keep Assist is not needed since Tesla has something much better already called Auto Steer that actually centers in the lane instead of just assisting the driver. More voice commands would be nice, I agree. But like I said, texting voice commands are coming in V10 so we are getting that.

Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things.

I think you may be a bit "off," so this will be my last reply to you. First, the M3 does not have rear traffic ALERT functionality (just a rear camera) - With the Subaru, the ALERT occurs before the offending vehicles show up in the rear camera.... Subaru's LKA works on most roads and provides added safety while YOU DRIVE. With Tesla Autosteer, you have to forgo driving AND autosteer works on far less roads than the Subaru LKA functionality (again you may want to scan the thread I attached in my original post). Re Automatic braking - Well, let me tell you what it means... when backing up, if there is something behind you that you can't (or can) see, and you're about to hit it, the car will "auto brake" - preventing the collision. And re your closing NVA defensive comment, "Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things." - Just another fanboy being just that (a fanboy), and not recognizing that Telsa could possibly be behind in some areas. Have a great day! :)

We don't have rear cross traffic alert. I can see great, but my teenage son?
Excellent on blind spot, not so much. Been burned twice. Gladly use my own two eyes currently.
Reverse auto braking keeps you from backing into something.
Agreed on autosteer, wouldn't agree on centering on the lane. Much conversation on that over the years.

So basically you are saying we are getting voice commands. Have that already. Reading texts is something other cars and phone systems have done for quite a while.

I would take basic playlist support for one. Or voice commands for things like temperature, fan speed, etc. My 2009 Lexus had that ability. Simple stuff. Could care less about new games.

It is hard to get excited about finally getting text messaging capability when every single car I have rented in the last few years has provided that. And rentals are always the base models from other manufacturers.

As far as the coming AP features, I will believe it when I see it. V9 was supposed to the the release that finally had the first FSD features. And that never happened. They just redefined what “FSD” was so that NoA counted. :rolleyes: And I am pretty sure enhanced summon was supposed to be in V9 not V10. Either way, they still haven’t released a single feature yet from my FSD purchase back in 2017. V8 was supposed to be the on ramp to off ramp with interchanges capability release (for AP1!).

Lesson learned: never get excited about the next software revision before release. It will deliver only a small fraction of the things it was advertised.

For me personally, AP/FSD features is all care about. I couldn't care less about games or playlist support or voice commands for temperature.

And frantically, I don't understand this idea that Tesla needs to implement every basic feature that other cars have. Who cares if a Tesla does not have some tiny feature that an older car had years ago if the Tesla gets to self-driving? That's far more valuable and important. I mean, if you had a choice between a 10 year old rental car that has say hands free texting or a Tesla that is self-driving, I am picking the Tesla!

I think you may be a bit "off," so this will be my last reply to you. First, the M3 does not have rear traffic ALERT functionality (just a rear camera) - With the Subaru, the ALERT occurs before the offending vehicles show up in the rear camera.... Subaru's LKA works on most roads and provides added safety while YOU DRIVE. With Tesla Autosteer, you have to forgo driving AND autosteer works on far less roads than the Subaru LKA functionality (again you may want to scan the thread I attached in my original post). Re Automatic braking - Well, let me tell you what it means... when backing up, if there is something behind you that you can't (or can) see, and you're about to hit it, the car will auto brake - preventing the collision. And re your closing NVA defensive comment, "Basically, it sounds like you just want Tesla to do things the same way Subaru does things." - Just another fanboy being just that (a fanboy), and not recognizing that Telsa could possibly be behind in some areas. Have a great day! :)

Uh. I never said that the M3 has rear cross traffic alert. I know it does not. I was simply saying that I am ok with just a rear camera instead of rear traffic alert.

Personally, I prefer Auto Steer to Subaru's LKA. For me, Auto Steer is amazing.

I agree that reverse automatic braking is a great feature.

You clearly love your Subaru, more power to you.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Coast to coast fsd demo was supposed to be end of 2017. Lets see that first.

I strongly recommend that no one puts any credibility to Musk’s forward looking statements.

I think it is doable as you would be on a freeway the whole way, and NoA kind of works okay in that environment. But, will FSD be able to take you to your local grocery store a mile away? That remains to be seen...

For me personally, AP/FSD features is all care about. I couldn't care less about games or playlist support or voice commands for temperature.

And frantically, I don't understand this idea that Tesla needs to implement every basic feature that other cars have. Who cares if a Tesla does not have some tiny feature that an older car had years ago if the Tesla gets to self-driving? That's far more valuable and important. I mean, if you had a choice between a 10 year old rental car that has say hands free texting or a Tesla that is self-driving, I am picking the Tesla!

When would you suppose Tesla gets there on that self-driving? You might be picking the rental car for a while. Up until that point I would like the features that come on $50k and $100k automobiles.

When would you suppose Tesla gets there on that self-driving? You might be picking the rental car for a while. Up until that point I would like the features that come on $50k and $100k automobiles.

Tesla is probably just 2-3 years away from self-driving.

And nope, I'll drive a Tesla with Autopilot any day over some gas rental with nice "tricks".