Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My list so far:

- CHAdeMO charger (Already have. No superchargers here but plenty of province-sponsored CHAdeMO chargers)
- Tesla Tire Repair Kit (Buy when pickup)
- Center Console (Whenever the carbon fibre one is in stock. On the wait list already from last year)
- Floor mats (Get plastic ones from Tesla during pickup?)
- Charge cards (ChargePoint + GreenLot) (Already got some + apps on iPhone)
- Dashcam (Will use one from old vehicle)
- FobPocket (They look neat but I'll see how the naked fob works for me at first)

I would say the dual charger if you are planning on a lot of toad trip. It adds 2x the range and can allow you to leave a lot earlier if you are not at a supercharger but at one of those hpwc located theoughout
If you plan to use a HPWC that is configured to allow more than 40 Amp, then yes, a dual charger will speed up your charging. However, there will be no improvement in charging speed when using the Mobile Connector or the J1772 adapter.
--
Also: The dual charger only doubles the range per hour of charge when using an 80 Amp HPWC. If using a 60 Amp HPWC, the range per hour of charge will only be 1.5 times as fast as when using a single charger.
--
I do have the dual charger option, and there have been a few times where I've appreciated having this accessory. However, for almost all of my travels it has turned out to be useless, and when I'm home I don't need the fast charge because my car will be fully charged overnight on a slow charge.

Last edited:
I am blaming cold meds for saying this.....

Female soon to be owner (this week) who has never carried a purse nor do I plan to! Carry my wallet, keys and phone when I wander around. Busier days I use a ThinkTank sling bag to also pack my iPad and some snacks.

This being said I would love something in the center that would allow me to keep my phone more in view. Mainly for liking Pandora tracks. Unless you tell me that is something I can do from the center screen. I might just give in and get the Tesla Console insert.

Sorry to jump on the OP thread and ask a question. :biggrin:

If you plan to use a HPWC that is configured to allow more than 40 Amp, then yes, a dual charger will speed up your charging. However, there will be no improvement in charging speed when using the Mobile Connector or the J1772 adapter.

The Tesla UMC is limited to 40 amps, but I'm fairly certain that the J1772 adapter can support up to 80 or 100 amps if the charging station delivers that much. These are much more common in Canada than the US... but it will still work at more than 40 amps, at which point the dual-chargers will improve charging speeds up to 80 amps.

polything mentioned sunshades, and I completely agree! Tesla's Panoramic Roof Sunshades (if you have the pano roof) and Rear Liftgate Sunshade really help reduce solar thermal load! Adding sunshades for the windshield and side windows will also help.

Do you need to keep a suit or dress from getting wrinkles? If so, then try: Coat Hooks - Set of Two | Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla Model S

Do you plan to modify your Tesla? If so, then I recommend:
- Rick's Model S Front Lighted T
- Rick's Model S Rear Lighted T
- Not available at the moment, but when available: Rick's Model S Lighted Rear Liftgate Appliqué

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that the J1772 adapter can support up to 80 or 100 amps if the charging station delivers that much. These are much more common in Canada than the US... but it will still work at more than 40 amps, at which point the dual-chargers will improve charging speeds up to 80 amps.
You may well be be right--I stand corrected. I have never come across a J1772 charger that delivers more than 30 Amps, but my charging has been almost exclusively limited to the Eastern United States.

I agree with the "looks so much better" factor of tint, but I've been wondering about getting it on my Tesla. Living in upstate NY with the winters we have, the sun could actually make a difference to heat the car. If it is sunny and cold out, I'll park my leaf on the top of the parking garage, it warms up nicely for the ride home, unless it is sub zero out and it's just too da*n cold out to make any difference!
I've had my car about 6 weeks now and I haven't tinted the windows. Even though it's very sunny here (except for the last 2 weeks, where we've exchanged weather patterns with Seattle), my feeling is that it takes a lot more energy to heat the car in the winter than cool it in the summer, so for now, no tint. I may change my mind as summer progresses. Time will tell.

BTW, I like your plate - very clever!

I am blaming cold meds for saying this.....

Female soon to be owner (this week) who has never carried a purse nor do I plan to! Carry my wallet, keys and phone when I wander around. Busier days I use a ThinkTank sling bag to also pack my iPad and some snacks.

This being said I would love something in the center that would allow me to keep my phone more in view. Mainly for liking Pandora tracks. Unless you tell me that is something I can do from the center screen. I might just give in and get the Tesla Console insert.

Sorry to jump on the OP thread and ask a question. :biggrin:

I just installed a no drill iPhone mount from http://www.proclipusa.com/?utm_sour...proclips usa&gclid=CJ6H36rfy8UCFdcZgQod_hEAyw they also have mounts for many other phones.

I'm a dude and the "bowling alley" is a perfect place to hold your take out food, laptop, and papers/files :biggrin:. And it's a great place for a purse which will surely impress the lady passengers.

The all-weather floor mats from Tesla have held up well and do a good job of keeping the carpet clean.

I got the Abstract Ocean key fob cover and I get a lot of comments/compliments from valets and my local service center. Goes good with the QD-loops to attach to a key ring.
Silicone FobPockets - The Black Collection - Abstract Ocean
Distressed Black Leather P85D FobPocket for Tesla Model S - Abstract Ocean
Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera Photo

Also, the USB ports on Model S aren't all that powerful to charge devices quickly, so I have a 4 port USB charger. Works great, it has a firm plug and doesn't fall out of the jack like some other ones I had:
Amazon.com: Anker® 9.6A / 48W 4-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones Accessories
I use it to power my relatively inexpensive dashcam:
Amazon.com : Black Box G1W-H Hidden Dashboard Dash Cam - WDR 160° Wide Angle 4X ZOOM - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7 LCD Car DVR Video Recorder - Night Vision Motion Detection G-Sensor - NT96650 + AR0330 : Car Electronics

And here's a DIY install guide for the dash cam:
DIY Tesla Dash Cam Installation - TESLARATI.com

I would never put take-out food/left-overs in the cabin. That is what the front trunk is for. I don't want my car to smell like take-out food, I like the new-car smell.

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed a no drill iPhone mount from http://www.proclipusa.com/?utm_sour...proclips usa&gclid=CJ6H36rfy8UCFdcZgQod_hEAyw they also have mounts for many other phones.

Schoche makes a fabulous magnetic mount you can buy for 12 bucks at Walmart. You install the adhesive plate under your case and it is rock solid. Very clean, you can put it anywhere, super-useful.

I did alot of research and ended up getting a few items you might not think about (some other popular good ones are lloyd's carpet, allweather mats, front center console, car wrap etc)

Cool fobholder with many color options:
Amazon.com: Silicone FobPocket for the Tesla Model S (Blue): Automotive

Magnetic Phone Mount:
Amazon.com: SMART Accessories

Screen shield (I got the thick one that does not compromise image quality since glare isn't a huge issue and i can wipe fingerprints with the pad below:
Amazon.com: Screen Protector (5H anti-scratch shock resistant) for Tesla Model S: Automotive

Cleaning pad:
Amazon.com: Leather screen cleaning pad for the Tesla Model S: Automotive
Cupholder inserts to prevent a tall drink from flying forward when stopping quickly:
Dorman Cup Holder Insert Front Fits 02 09 Bravada Envoy Trailblazer | eBay

Also got a few other minor things and got my car wrapped in Avery Brilliant Blue Matte Metallic.

The Tesla UMC is limited to 40 amps, but I'm fairly certain that the J1772 adapter can support up to 80 or 100 amps if the charging station delivers that much. These are much more common in Canada than the US... but it will still work at more than 40 amps, at which point the dual-chargers will improve charging speeds up to 80 amps.

Yes. I've charged at 70amps with the J1772 adapter, on Sun Country EVSE's which are common up here. I've never seen 80amps EVSE's but if there were, it would work. 100amp wouldn't work since the maximum with dual chargers is 80amps (2 x 40amp chargers).

On the center console issue, I thought I couldn't live without one, and got on the waiting list when I got my car, where I sat for about 6 months until it was available. By that time, there was no way I wanted it. I learned to live without most of the junk I had in the one in my other vehicle, and I love the open floor space. The rest of the junk I think I need but don't really use fits in the glove box. I had also bought the GM cupholders in another thread here to deal with the cupholder issue and they look stock and fit great. When I see a car with the console it looks crowded and confined.

I haven't seen the High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) on this list. I think that's a must - particularly for a dual charger vehicle. I've already got my breaker, conduit, and wire run for my install later this summer and I'm not planning on getting dual chargers.

From what I understand the NEMA 14-30 plug is not meant to be plugged and unplugged from the socket daily. If you have a garage and can leave your plug there from your UMC set, that might be fine, but I think it charges at a lower rate than the HPWC (single charger, @40 amps, 29 miles/hour charge; dual charger, @ 80 amps, 58 miles/hour charge). Again, for a single charger @ 29 miles/hour charge - that's about 9 hours or overnight from close to empty to full.

Other "accessories" to me would include window tint here in Sunny FL!

From what I understand the NEMA 14-30 plug is not meant to be plugged and unplugged from the socket daily.

This is a TMC urban legend. I don't know where/how it started, but the NEMA plugs and sockets are certainly heavy-duty to be plugged/unplugged thousands if tens or hundreds of thousands of times. The 14-30 and 14-50 components are 100x beefier than your everyday 110v plugs and sockets used in everyday appliances. And how often do they fail?

Also, even if this was a real thing, if you have a UMC for charging in the garage, it usually just stays plugged into the NEMA socket, it's not plugged/unplugged daily.

If you have a garage and can leave your plug there from your UMC set, that might be fine, but I think it charges at a lower rate than the HPWC (single charger, @40 amps, 29 miles/hour charge; dual charger, @ 80 amps, 58 miles/hour charge). Again, for a single charger @ 29 miles/hour charge - that's about 9 hours or overnight from close to empty to full.

I'm not sure if you're asserting that the UMC and HPWC charge the car at the same rate, given the same amperages. The UMC is limited to 40 amps, so dual chargers don't help at all in that case. But if a HPWC only delivers 40amps, it's no different than the UMC.

Also, I think very few people are draining their cars to near zero every day, and charging to near-full overnight. That's an extreme edge case. I have a NEMA 14-50 (which I plug and unplug all the time without incident), and if I plug in at night, it only takes an hour to three to recharge up to the limit I've set. So unless some owner is driving 200+ miles every single day, and has less than 8 hours to recharge their car, the 40amp UMC on a NEMA 14-50 works just fine.

OTOH, the HPWC looks much cooler if you have the $750 to spare.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I've charged at 70amps with the J1772 adapter, on Sun Country EVSE's which are common up here. I've never seen 80amps EVSE's but if there were, it would work. 100amp wouldn't work since the maximum with dual chargers is 80amps (2 x 40amp chargers).

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that one could charge at 100 amps, just that if the EVSE is a 100amp service, it's still usable (up to 80 amps) using the J1772 adapter. But thanks for clarifying that incase I was unclear.

I haven't seen the High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) on this list. I think that's a must - particularly for a dual charger vehicle. I've already got my breaker, conduit, and wire run for my install later this summer and I'm not planning on getting dual chargers.

From what I understand the NEMA 14-30 plug is not meant to be plugged and unplugged from the socket daily. If you have a garage and can leave your plug there from your UMC set, that might be fine, but I think it charges at a lower rate than the HPWC (single charger, @40 amps, 29 miles/hour charge; dual charger, @ 80 amps, 58 miles/hour charge). Again, for a single charger @ 29 miles/hour charge - that's about 9 hours or overnight from close to empty to full.

Other "accessories" to me would include window tint here in Sunny FL!

Picked up the HPWC before the car arrived, even though I have just a single charger. Future proof and wanted to be able to leave the UMC in the trunk.

Note that your mileage (heh) may vary depending on you line voltage (W=V*A). Substation is about a block from my house and a town park/garage is down the street past me. I see 245v to the car @ 40A and it is charging at 39miles/hour according to the dash. 9.8kWh on the 10kWh charger. This is a full 100A circuit.

Get a 50' heavy gauge standard 110v extension cord...as a "last resort", you will always be able to find a 110 socket...and when visiting friends for a few days, you can charge up plenty...

I'm going to be traveling off the supercharger grid, so I just ordered (from EAVESadapters) a 10' 14-50>14-30/14-50, will work as a converter or 10' extension for the 14-50, and also a 14-50>10-30/10-50 short cord...dryers/ovens or RV parks with only 30 amp available, now got it covered (mostly). The rural large house/hotel I'm staying at will let me park in the garage and use their dryer outlet...