Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have options for resale value / what a first time Tesla owner may not know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with most here about not needing any upgrades; if there was a used Tesla for sale without Autopilot, and another with the same exact specs with Autopilot costing $5k more, I bet 4/5 buyers would pay the extra $5k for Autopilot (many current owners wish they could retrofit for that much). My own boss would not buy a Tesla because he didn't see any decently priced used ones with Autopilot and he can't afford to buy new, it isnt worth it to him to buy a used one without Autopilot no matter how cheap.

I myself bought my Tesla entirely BECAUSE of Autopilot. When I looked for my previous car a few years ago I had only considered those with autonomous cruise control which ruled out the Tesla; I got the Subaru Legacy with Eyesight (2 stereoscopic cameras) for a fraction of the cost of sportscars with similar features (under $30k), including adaptive cruise, preemptive emergency breaking which prevented multiple accidents for me, and it beeped if leaving the lane without a signal.

While I considered upgrading to the newest Subaru this year with lane keep assist and better Eyesight sensors for faster reaction time, I saw an article about Autopilot. I thought: There are cheaper cars that are electric, cheaper cars with comparable 0-60 to the non-performance models, cheaper cars like the Subaru with adaptive cruise/lane assist, but while Over the Air updates and the big screen were also nice, it was Autosteer that put me over the edge to trade in my Subaru for $17k to get the Tesla 85D for $96k (if I could do it again I'd get the 70D with Autopilot and fewer options for just over $70k).

Last edited:
I disagree with most here about not needing any upgrades; if there was a used Tesla for sale without Autopilot, and another with the same exact specs with Autopilot costing $5k more, I bet 4/5 buyers would pay the extra $5k for Autopilot (many current owners wish they could retrofit for that much). My own boss would not buy a Tesla because he didn't see any decently priced used ones with Autopilot and he can't afford to buy new, it isnt worth it to him to buy a used one without Autopilot no matter how cheap.

I myself bought my Tesla entirely BECAUSE of Autopilot. When I looked for my previous car a few years ago I had only considered those with autonomous cruise control which ruled out the Tesla; I got the Subaru Legacy with Eyesight (2 stereoscopic cameras) for a fraction of the cost of sportscars with similar features (under $30k), including adaptive cruise, preemptive emergency breaking which prevented multiple accidents for me, and it beeped if leaving the lane without a signal.

While I considered upgrading to the newest Subaru this year with lane keep assist and better Eyesight sensors for faster reaction time, I saw an article about Autopilot. I thought: There are cheaper cars that are electric, cheaper cars with comparable 0-60 to the non-performance models, cheaper cars like the Subaru with adaptive cruise/lane assist, but while Over the Air updates and the big screen were also nice, it was Autosteer that put me over the edge to trade in my Subaru for $17k to get the Tesla 85D for $96k (if I could do it again I'd get the 70D with Autopilot and fewer options for just over $70k).

Mainly just the price that you'd prefer to do just over $70k or some other reason?

Correct, The cheapest dual motor when I get my car was the 85D (60 was RWD and 70D wasn't even anounced), plus some options I got like paint color I would've saved (i wrapped it anyway). I do like the extra acceleration on the 85D but range is negligible and I cared more about autopilot

That's the next question for me. I don't even know about paint wrapping etc. apparently it replaces the color of your existing paint?

That's the next question for me. I don't even know about paint wrapping etc. apparently it replaces the color of your existing paint?

It can help protect the paint but yea mainly wrap is for aesthetics,looks cool. I hated all the colors they had last year, the only one that didnt look grayscale was red and the dark blue i chose just looked black most of the time.. the new blue is nicer but I love my matte blue :)
IMG_8922.jpg