Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 75D Real world efficiency 400Wh/mile on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven the MX 75D (20inch wheel) for over 4 years, I have checked its average efficiency after 41K miles of driving.
Based on the last 28K miles, EPA is 350wh/mile. But on the highway driving 70~75mph, I think the efficiency drops to 400wh/mile.

For a long distance trip I need to charge it every 110~130 miles to save the charging time becuase charging from 80 to 100, it will take another 30 minutes at least for the last 20%.
Driving from 80% to 10%, using 70% of the battery, the car can only travel 130 miles on the highway.

I am preparing a 11K mile trip, I realised that I have to stop 8 times for 6~7 hours to charge.
I'm just wondering if I got 100D instead, wouldn't I save at least 2 hours in charging time?

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I'm not sure it would be 2 hours, but there would certainly be some savings. The big thing you have going for you is that you are in the land of Tesla Superchargers so you could squeeze out absolute best performance rather than what us in the midwest have to do and work around the charging options.

You can use ABRP to get a rough estimate of the difference in long range travel between a 75D and a 100D.

ABRP isn't exact - probably not as good as the in-car navigation estimates, but it's pretty good and you can tune it with lots of options if you create a (free) account.

I'm not sure exactly where you started or ended but this is my 2020 MYLR.

1675052955039.png

Here is the same start and end destination with a MX75D.

1675053103256.png

And lastly with a MX100D.

1675053205308.png

So that's with the settings I am using right now in ABRP. 110% of the speed limit. Temperature very cold. Slight headwind (because I have bad luck and it's always in my face). Minor battery degradation. The cars will likely get slightly better than that but not by a whole lot. It claims 2 hours difference so maybe your estimate is right.

With it being over 20 hours I'm guessing you'll have an overnight stop somewhere and you'll eliminate one Supercharger stop and get a full charge that night which will also push out the next stop by a bit, changing the following few stops more than likely.