Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the wife a 2020 Model X.
It comes with a tow-hitch thing in a foam box/bag in the trunk...
It does not come with a tow-ball.

What do I need to get to be able to tow a trailer?
As mentioned above, it depends on what you're trying to tow. Note that the Bosal hitch adapter in the box has a label on it that defines some stringent limits on offsets, so make sure whatever ball mount you get stays within those offsets.

Make sure and check the exact trailer you plan to tow for the ball size. Common sizes are 1 7/8", 2", and 2 1/4" with 2" now the most popular. You should NOT ever tow a trailer with the wrong size trailer ball. Very unsafe. Also make sure to cross the safety chains/cables when hooking them to the trailer hitch on the car.

What do I need to get to be able to tow a trailer?
The type of trailer you are going to tow will determine what type of ball you need and whether or not you also need to install a brake controller in your car. California law requires trailers over 1,500 lbs gross weight to have their own brakes. See DMV allows customers to avoid coming to a DMV office for 60 days - California DMV

Trailers can have “surge brakes” (see What are Surge Brakes and How do they Work? - Trailer Valet) or electrically powered brakes; the latter will require a brake controller. See Installing a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller in a Model X

If you want to tow a “travel trailer” or “camper trailer” you will want a 2” hitch ball.
Towing with a Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: puhiniho
If you want the best hitch that absorbs some shocks and bumps, I personally am using a
GEN-Y hitch rated to 7,000 lb
  • Fabricated with Heavy -Duty Steel
  • Maintenance Free
  • Reduces Trailer and Content Fatigue
  • Eliminates Most Surging, Bucking, and Chucking
  • Increases the Life of the Truck and Trailer Electronics
  • Increases Ride Quality
  • Improves Overall Safety
  • Durable Powder Coat Finish
  • Engineered using SOLIDWORKS software

The best cushion trailer hitch

What are you towing with that hitch?

Overwhelmed with questions and information...
Nothing fancy just a Neo Cargo trailer, filled with commercial ride on floor scrubbers. Easy to ride them up and down the ramp. Just strap the wheels down to the E-tracks and the Gen-Y hitch helps with MX air suspension not taking such a beating, its like having a small car in there.
NAV (NAVR+NAVF) Cargo Trailers - NEO Trailers

Both Trailer & Hitch are rated at 7k lbs GVWR but I don’t tow more than 4k lbs which I find is an extremely comfortable ride.

I personally am using a
GEN-Y hitch rated to 7,000 lb...Both Trailer & Hitch are rated at 7k lbs GVWR but I don’t tow more than 4k lbs which I find is an extremely comfortable ride.
I just want to point out that @Soey22 is towing with a Model X (based on his signature) which is rated for up to 5K lbs with the 20” wheels. I thought there might be some confusion because he is using a hitch ball product called the “GEN-Y” and this is a Model Y forum. :D

The Model Y hitch is rated to 3.5K lbs.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I just want to point out that @Soey22 is towing with a Model X (based on his signature) which is rated for up to 5K lbs with the 20” wheels. I thought there might be some confusion because he is using a hitch ball product called the “GEN-Y” and this is a Model Y forum. :D

I had to double check, it's the Model X forum! We get reduced to 3.5k on the 22" wheels too.

As for tow ball, when in doubt...
Triple Ball Trailer Hitch

I have personally been using this one: 2 in. Ball Hitch for over 4 years now towing a variety of trailers and loading it all the way up to the limit. It fits the specs required to the T. Cheap and effective. I have a couple others that are fancier and lighter, but I go back to this one. It's simple and durable and welded ball eliminates any torquing worries.

I get how one could mistakenly post in the wrong forum but I don’t really know what to say when the tittle of the thread says MX hitch??