Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1st accident in 10 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The filler material under the bumper is probably damaged... based on the photos.

I’d take to a repair shop and have them remove the bumper to be sure.
Yes it should really be looked into. I've been in far less bumper strikes than this and in one case had over $800 damage under the bumper on one of my older Honda sedans. I didn't have any paint damage on mine either.

This is absolutely incredible! Do you have this film on the entire car or just the front end? What does this cost, ballpark? I never thought PPF or ceramic coating was worth it, but after seeing these pictures I’m interested.

This is absolutely incredible! Do you have this film on the entire car or just the front end? What does this cost, ballpark? I never thought PPF or ceramic coating was worth it, but after seeing these pictures I’m interested.
Ceramic basically makes it easier to clean your car or helps keeps things from leeching into the paint. PPF does all the physical protection. Both are worth it.

Yes it should really be looked into. I've been in far less bumper strikes than this and in one case had over $800 damage under the bumper on one of my older Honda sedans. I didn't have any paint damage on mine either.

Sorry. Have been so busy at work late and did not post. Everything checked out and Premier removed all of the film - no damage, not even a scratch! I just need to replace the film, which her insurance is obviously going to pay. It is taking a while because I am dealing with her insurance adjuster and they are not as responsive. My car has been at Premier awaiting approval for the work. Fortunately I've been traveling so have not needed the car. Sucks having to deal with this.

I have the whole front end done and it costed a little over 2k if I recall correctly. I'm glad I don't have to fix the paint because that would have been a whole new ordeal at the bodyshop. Had my Model X in the bodyshop (Chiltons - Authorized by Tesla) for a defective bumper cover replacement and it took 3 months! With the M3, it only takes Premier 1 day to replace (well, except that I'm dealing with her insurance, which is dragging their feet on payment)

I agree with the others.
The bumper fascia needs to be removed. The bumper rebar could be bent.
Even with the film, I doubt the paint will flex that much and not crack. I would guess you have a minimum of $1500 damage. And that could double if the rebar is damaged. Have them repaint the fascia and then install it. No chance of overspray that way.

20190119_093055.jpg
20190119_093055.jpg
20190119_093055.jpg
20190119_093055.jpg
20190119_093040.jpg
I agree with the others.
The bumper fascia needs to be removed. The bumper rebar could be bent.
Even with the film, I doubt the paint will flex that much and not crack. I would guess you have a minimum of $1500 damage. And that could double if the rebar is damaged. Have them repaint the fascia and then install it. No chance of overspray that way.

Premier did remove the bumper to check and everything checks out. Here are pics if the front bumper after the bra was removed. Clearguard definitely took all the damage. Premier will be reapplying the film once insurance pays.

Reactions: KenC and Leeclanual
Sorry. Have been so busy at work late and did not post. Everything checked out and Premier removed all of the film - no damage, not even a scratch! I just need to replace the film, which her insurance is obviously going to pay. It is taking a while because I am dealing with her insurance adjuster and they are not as responsive. My car has been at Premier awaiting approval for the work. Fortunately I've been traveling so have not needed the car. Sucks having to deal with this.
I am not sure of your state laws but I always turn into my insurance company and pay the deductible and have always had it recovered by State Farm. Dealing with “someone else’s “ insurance company is never a winning proposition.
FWIW that Honda sedan was in three accidents where it was struck and in the last accident it was totaled. All three times the car was stationary when hit! Anyhow I used my insurance and was always happy especially concerning the value of my totaled car which was considerably above KBB value.

I am not sure of your state laws but I always turn into my insurance company and pay the deductible and have always had it recovered by State Farm. Dealing with “someone else’s “ insurance company is never a winning proposition.
FWIW that Honda sedan was in three accidents where it was struck and in the last accident it was totaled. All three times the car was stationary when hit! Anyhow I used my insurance and was always happy especially concerning the value of my totaled car which was considerably above KBB value.

Great advice. Mistake I learned. Last I heard is they will be sending a check out for the film redo. Post more pics later.