Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2018 Model 3 saved my life and my family's too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all those speaking ill of Tesla's light weight aluminum panels that seem to crumple so easily, take heed. These cars are designed to crumple in the right spot and hold sturdy in the parts that surround the occupants. I will gladly take a crumpled hood over a collapsed cabin, anyday.

This is true, but I wouldn't put tesla so far in front of other car makers. Any newer ICE car with good crash rating would have done the same.

This is true, but I wouldn't put tesla so far in front of other car makers. Any newer ICE car with good crash rating would have done the same.

The fact is that Tesla’s ratings are higher than most, if not all other cars at the moment.
That should tell you that it likely has a better chance of protecting you over other cars.

It’s not a fact to say “any newer car with a good rating would have done the same”....

The fact is that Tesla’s ratings are higher than most, if not all other cars at the moment.
That should tell you that it likely has a better chance of protecting you over other cars.

It’s not a fact to say “any newer car with a good rating would have done the same”....

Not having a thousand pounds of aluminum and steel (engine/transmission) trying to land in your lap sure helps. Comparing a Tesla to an ICE car in a collision is like comparing apples and turkeys. Both are food but that’s where the comparison ends.

model 3 is a heavy vehicle. it has same roof strength-weight ratio as volvo s60, bmw 3 series. and much lower than mercedes c-class (iihs).

same overall occupant crash integrity as bmw 3 series (ncap).

i dont see the magic

I believe you have your numbers wrong. According to the IIHS, Volvo and BMW 3 have lower strength to weight ratio, then add in the fact the model 3 has far bigger front and rear crumple zones and they aren't in the same safety class.

I believe you have your numbers wrong. According to the IIHS, Volvo and BMW 3 have lower strength to weight ratio, then add in the fact the model 3 has far bigger front and rear crumple zones and they aren't in the same safety class.

2020 BMW 3 series 4-door sedan
2020 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan
2020 Volvo S60 4-door sedan
2020 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4-door sedan

Volvo and BMW and Tesla have virtually identical STW at 5.73/5.73/5.85 ratio.
The Mercedes is a 7.00

In frontal overlap impacting testing, the BMW and Mercedes score better with lower Head Injury Criterion (meaning less likelihood of head damage). BMW and Mercedess has less cabin protrution. etc etc.

All of which to say, the weight distribution of the vehicle, the presence of a large motor, the front and rear crumple zones, all of these are ALREADY taken into account in the crash testing results conducted by these agencies. All these cars score equally well in the tests.

To say "they aren't in the same safety class" is an outright contradiction of the results.

I am glad everyone was OK! That was one hell of an event to read and good the car did what it was supposed to do and keep you alive. One of the most impressive things I have seen is the video on how a Tesla is actually designed to take impacts and mitigate as much of the damage from you as possible. It set a new standard in this category for sure. Did you catch the person on dashcam footage?

teslacam footage?

No, unfortunately. I may be the only dumbass who never set up the camera footage in my car. I can promise you on my replacement car, I will do that first thing.

Interestingly, one of the witnesses told me after the accident that he was driving his work truck and that it had a dashcam that recorded the accident. Two days later, he said that the camera wasn't on all day that Sunday. I'm not sure I would have wanted to watch it.

Glad you and your family are ok. That 405 can be crazy when there is less traffic. Tesla took a beating. It appears you daughter in the rear was wearing a seatbelt? When you flipped, did any of your heads hit the glass? I am asking since in other conventional cars, roof usually has material to cover it, while in tesla is straight up glass. I see you got hurt by shattered glass, i wonder if this is where having tint might help since hopefully glass will be held by the film.

Thank you. Yes, she was wearing her seatbelt. I don't recall whether any of us hit the glass roof. The part after we went off the side of the embankment was a blur. When the airbags deployed, they covered all the windows so we all lost sense of direction. We didn't know we rolled until after the witnesses told us we did. I do know that we were all picking glass fragments out of our hair for the next week. The scary part f you look at the photos is that the rear part of the roof collapsed where my daughter was in the back. But she never hit it, thank God.

I am glad everyone was OK! That was one hell of an event to read and good the car did what it was supposed to do and keep you alive. One of the most impressive things I have seen is the video on how a Tesla is actually designed to take impacts and mitigate as much of the damage from you as possible. It set a new standard in this category for sure. Did you catch the person on dashcam footage?

Thank you. It was definitely a few minutes of hell.