Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2020 - Cabin air filter replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
1) Any suggestions on which filter to buy? I looked up in Tesla website, I only see filter for M3 and not MY. Even this is sold out.
2) Do we have to clean the condenser?
3) If Tesla does the replacement what is the cost, labor included?

Thanks.

Hi
1) Any suggestions on which filter to buy? I looked up in Tesla website, I only see filter for M3 and not MY. Even this is sold out.

Thanks.
1. Filters are exactly the same for MY and M3. Look for them on Amazon, eBay, etc. ~ $40 a set.
2. Nope
3. I would think it would be .5 hr labor + parts. ~ $125-150.

• Helpful
Reactions: K5TRX
It's generally a DIY operation ... at least in a "normal" vehicle. Although every time you take your ICEmobile in for an oil change they say "We can do that for maybe $70 or $80" to which I respond "No thanks, I'll just go to Auto Zone, buy the filter for about $8 and take maybe two minutes tops to do it myself"

Having said that, I was watching the Sandy Munro teardown videos and it looks like you have to undo seven screws to get to it. That would be ridiculous for a serviceable item, so maybe I got that wrong - Anyone know better?

The Owner's Manual isn't clear on this and just says (p128) "Cabin Air Filter Model Y has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing the cabin air filter every 2 years. "

Last edited:
  • Helpful
It's generally a DIY operation ... at least in a "normal" vehicle. Although every time you take your ICEmobile in for an oil change they say "We can do that for maybe $70 or $80" to which I respond "No thanks, I'll just go to Auto Zone, buy the filter for about $8 and take maybe two minutes tops to do it myself"

Having said that, I was watching the Sandy Munro teardown videos and it looks like you have to undo seven screws to get to it. That would be ridiculous for a serviceable item, so maybe I got that wrong - Anyone know better?

The User Manual isn't clear on this and just says (p128) "Cabin Air Filter Model Y has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing the cabin air filter every 2 years. "
I do not consider myself to be very handy, but from watching Youtube videos, it does look like a DIY project. All you'd need is a pry tool, which is typically included with the filters you can buy from Amazon ($40-50), along with either a T20 hex or a wrench.

Using your pry tool, you'd then have to remove two panels on the passenger side of the car, including 4 plastic pins, as well as unplugging a light and a speaker, After you've removed the two panels, there will either be a hard-to-reach hex nut or a nut that will need to be removed. Once removed, you can access and replace the cabin air filters.

Here is a video describing the process:

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and mrwug
The Tesla Model Y vehicle automatically runs the HVAC fan for ~20 minutes after the vehicle has been parked to help dry the evaporator core. If your model Y has a musty odor from mold or mildew coming from the HVAC vents you can clean the cabin AC evaporator core once you remove the cabin air filters. Start by vacuuming out any leaves or debris that may have gotten into the filter compartment. (Be careful not the damage the evaporator core.) Next you can use a product specifically formulated for cleaning and deodorizing the HVAC system and evaporator coil.

Amazon.com: Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner : Automotive

Amazon.com: nextzett 96110515 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner - 10 fl oz: Automotive

I took my MY back in June to a SC as it was producing a vinegar-ish smell. (I'll admit, I'm not handy so I didn't attempt to do it myself). Tesla charged $197.50: $50.50 for the parts (1x cleaner for $16.50 + 2x filter for $17.00 each) and $147.00 for the labor (2 hours).
What it a rip? Yes, but again, I'm not handy and don't want to risk scratching something or opening something up and not able to put it back together.

Using your pry tool, you'd then have to remove two panels on the passenger side of the car, including 4 plastic pins, as well as unplugging a light and a speaker, After you've removed the two panels, there will either be a hard-to-reach hex nut or a nut that will need to be removed. Once removed, you can access and replace the cabin air filters

That seems like a lot of work. Normally you just empty the glove box, pull it all the way out and down (probably by pressing a couple of release points), then take the cover off the filter holder (spring clip), pull the filter(s) out, put the new one(s) in and reverse the process. Emptying the glove box and refilling it are generally the time erasers here

I'll give the video a once over. Thanks for the link

...that was actually a very well produced video and now I see what the tabs are for :oops: Still quite an involved process though

Last edited:
I used the following air filter (which I think it is superior to Tesla OEM)
I used the Kool-It evaporator cleaner:

The Model Y now comes with Bioweapon Defense Mode standard. The Bioweapon Defense adds a large HEPA filter at the air intake, not sure if the two cabin air filters are used in Model Y vehicles equipped with Bioweapon Defense.

You will know if your Model Y's HVAC system has developed a mold, mildew problem by the unpleasant odor coming from the HVAC vents when you turn on the Model Y's HVAC system. This issue does not seem to happen in every Model Y, certainly less frequently than in the Model 3. The environmental conditions that encourage the growth of mold and mildew are whenever the temperature is above 70F (21C) and the relative humidity is greater than 60%, no direct sunlight.

To minimize mold, mildew growth inside the HVAC evaporator core it is a good idea to turn off Cabin Air Recirculate just before you end your drive. This may help the vehicle's HVAC system dry out the evaporator core. In warm weather the Model 3 and the Model Y are programmed to run the HVAC blower fan on a low/medium setting for 20 minutes after you park to help dry out the evaporator core.

• Helpful
In my car, I had a strong smell every time I started the car. It was getting worse every day. I got a new filter and cleaner. Before cleaning the evaporator, I used my endoscope camera to check it. The bottom of the evaporator had some black stuff, I did not have it tested but I suspect it is mold. After cleaning and rinsing, everything was shinny down there.

The old OEM air filter was stinky. The air filer frame is made of some paper/fabric, I suspect it get wet because it is sitting at the bottom of the same tray that collects the water from the evaporator. The frame of the new air filter is some type of plastic that should not soak the water like the OEM version.

Changing the cabin air filter and cleaning the evaporator was simple and fast on the Y. However, the location of the cabin air filter make it prone to mold and mildew. The new design "Biohazard" should solve this problem because this prevent pollens and contaminants to get in the evaporator tray. My 2020 cabin filter does not prevent this.

No need to spend $40-$50 for air filters. Try this one. Identical in size to the OEM and seems almost identical filter material also.
After dealing with the smell, I recently replaced the air filters in a Model 3. Worked great.

Hi

Thanks.
Unless you're a smoker, I see no reason to replace your cabin air filter. Tell you what, wait a year and see if they're back in stock.

I've driven several Teslas many hundred thousand miles and never replaced any cabin air filter. Sounds like you have time on your hands.

The Owner's Manual isn't clear on this and just says (p128) "Cabin Air Filter Model Y has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing the cabin air filter every 2 years. "
Tesla describes the process for a model 3 here:

There is not a similar page for the MY, but lots of other good info there, much of which applies to MY as well.

Unless you're a smoker, I see no reason to replace your cabin air filter. Tell you what, wait a year and see if they're back in stock.

I've driven several Teslas many hundred thousand miles and never replaced any cabin air filter. Sounds like you have time on your hands.
Bad advice for anyone living in a high humidity environment. Your experience is atypical, for sure, and a single data point.

I've seen other posts saying Tesla Service charges about $150 to clean the condenser and replace the filters. RPM Tesla sells a kit with the filters and a can of Kool-It cleaner for $50 ($100 if you opt for HEPA filters.) They also have a video on the process. It's not terribly hard to do, just inconvenient because of the location.

Reactions: K5TRX and ucsdsig