Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2020 - Cabin air filter replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you're a smoker, I see no reason to replace your cabin air filter. Tell you what, wait a year and see if they're back in stock.

I've driven several Teslas many hundred thousand miles and never replaced any cabin air filter. Sounds like you have time on your hands.
Roblab must not have driven a model 3 in those several cars, or maybe is blessed to live somewhere with perfect Temps and zero humidity. Our 2018 M3 is on its 3rd filter (or 4th? I have lost track) for stinky mold growth. Duration depends a bit on your personal smell sensitivity and gross-out factor.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just finished replacing the cabin air filters in my 2020 LRMY. After 2 years, ~8500 miles I was noticing an odor coming from the AC vents when first entering the vehicle (especially if it is or has recently been raining.)

I watched a number of videos (most were for replacing the cabin air filters in the Model 3.

A few observations, tips:

Gather everything you will need a few days in advance (new filters, automotive trim removal tool set (spud tools) to avoid damaging the interior, clip removal tool or a small flat blade screw driver, 6mm hexagonal socket (I used a 7mm socket and it worked) and ratchet handle or screwdriver handle for the socket. I decided to clean out the AC evaporator coil and box as long as I was going in. (See parts list.), clean shop rag or microfiber towel.

Remove the floor mat or floor liner from the passenger side foot well and set aside.

The panel below the glove box comes out with a little bit of downward coaxing after you remove (4) clips using the clip removal tool or screwdriver. (Be careful you don't lose the center post from any the clips as those little guys can go flying to parts unknown if you fully pop out the post. There are two wires attached to this panel (speaker and foot well light.) You don't need to remove either wire. Just place the panel out of the way on the floor of the foot well.

The automotive trim kit (spud tool) made it easier to grab an edge of the side trim of the center console. I probably should have removed the glovebox under panel first but I was was still able to remove the center console panel before removing the glovebox panel. It helped to shine a flashlight behind the side panel to see where it is being held so I knew where to work. (Wear grippy work gloves as you free this panel to save your hands.)

The cover for the AC evaporator box where the cabin air filters reside is now held by one short 6mm hex bolt. Thankfully Tesla has redesigned this cover so that the screw is located at the bottom instead of at the top so you can get to it more easily. This used to be a longish Torx security screw (Why Tesla?) The current hex bolt has no slot (Why Tesla?) so you have to used a 6mm or 7mm socket (that is what I used and it was a little loose but it worked.) Be careful not to lose the hex bolt as it is

The factory cabin air filters have a tab you can grab at the upper edge of the filter. The 2 cabin air filters are stacked one on top of the other so removing the top filter will enable you to raise and remove the lower filter. (The factory filters have an arrow indicating the direction of the airflow; also the yellow side of the cabin air filter faces the cabin not the firewall.)

(I will finish this later.)

Reactions: boulder.dude
After removing the old air filters I used Klima-Cleaner air conditioning cleaner to clean the evaporator coil and the filter box. I followed the instructions on the can. I used a clean rag to cover the opening so that none of the foaming cleaner dripped inside the passenger seat foot well area. (Instructions stated to turn off the HVAC system for 20 minutes to let the cleaner work.) I placed a small container underneath the Model Y to catch most of the cleaner that was dripping out of the HVAC system. After 20 minutes I removed the rag and turn the HVAC system to fan mode only (No AC) and set the fan speed to 2. I let the fan run for an additional 20 minutes to dry out the evaporator coil and the filter box before installing the new cabin air filters.)

The small container I positioned underneath the Model Y caught about 1 cup of Klima-Cleaner runoff liquid. The Klima-Cleaner was unscented (not the one that has a citrus scent) but did have an odor of disinfectant or alcohol. The odor quickly dissipated inside the Tesla Model Y.

The replacement cabin air filters I purchased looked identical to the Tesla OE filters. There is an arrow on the OE filter indicating the direction of airflow but the replacement filter had no arrow. The back side of the OE filter and the replacement filter (the side facing the passenger cabin) was yellow and the tabs on the replacement filters were located in the correct position with the yellow side of the replacement filters also facing the passenger cabin so that is how I installed the new filters. It helped to secure and not drop the small hex bolt using a very small piece of tape when installing the HVAC cover as I had to use just one hand. It is difficult to get both hands in the work area and re-install the cover. The hex bolt does not need to be very tight, just barely more than finger tight.

I re-installed the side panel first. It helps to have a flashlight so be able to see where the clips need to line up with the center console. I found it easier to re-install the under glove box by installing the clip closest to the center console first, before the other three retaining clips.

I am attaching a list of the filters, tools and cleaner I purchased.

BASENOR Tesla Model Y Model 3 Replacement Cabin Air Filter 2016-2022 Gen 2(Set of Two)

AXELECT Trim Removal Tool - 5Pcs Trim Removal Tool Set,Car Pry Tool Kit

nextzett 96110515 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner - 10 fl oz

I took my time but breaking it down:

Remove under glove box panel and side panel - 10 minutes

Remove old cabin air filters and apply foaming air conditioner cleaner - 10 minutes

Waiting time while foam cleaner works, drains from the HVAC system - 20 minutes

Running the HVAC system on fan only, fan speed set to 2 or 3 to dry out the evaporator coil and filter box - 15 to 20 minutes

Reinstall side panel and under glove box panel - 10 minutes

First drive after cleaning, new cabin air filters. The old familiar, not unpleasant scent of my Model Y is gone. There is no discernible smell. Nada, zilch, nothing at all.

If your Tesla vehicle is approaching the 2 year mark or if you sometimes detect an unpleasant odor from the HVAC vents then don't hesitate, just clean the HVAC AC evaporator coil and filter box and install new filters. Tesla Mobile Service can also perform this maintenance.

After removing the old air filters I used Klima-Cleaner air conditioning cleaner to clean the evaporator coil and the filter box.
Having used both I HIGHLY recommend the Nextzett Klima Cleaner over the Kool It product. The Kool It had little actual product in the can and didn't seem to do the job properly while the Nextzett excelled. I had so much I sprayed some down the air inlet (snaked the tube down in) just in case that might help. If you order from Amazon you may have to wait a week or two to get it but it's worth the wait. 🥳 But do expect some clean up under the car afterwards unless you have a nice drop pan positioned properly.

Just requested service at 3:18am with immediate response. $56.35 includes parts and labor. 2 filters will be replaced
433B964A-78B2-4E0A-AB50-211D5385B450.jpeg