Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an idea this was coming, and was concerned that it may have been more imminent (next few months) which could have prompted me to cancel my Model Y order (taking delivery Saturday) and postponed purchase. Wonder if we will hear more from todays investor day.

Reactions: WyoDude
There seems to be an assumption that the Juniper cars (and beyond) will be better than today, so potential buyers are debating if they should hold off on their purchase. So far, Tesla's emphasis seems to be on producing the vehicles more efficiently and at a much lower cost, which could actually mean lower quality (but maybe at a lower price). We have already seen the removal of ultrasonic sensors (over to camera vision) and a rumor they may drop the interior wood trim.

I tried to find some meaning to the code word "Juniper" but haven't found anything meaningful other than
"the juniper tree, which is known for its hardiness and resilience."

Although using ChatGPT, I asked: How did Juniper networks (Technology company) get its name?
Juniper Networks was named after the Juniper tree, which is known for its resilience, adaptability, and ability to thrive in a variety of environments. The founders of the company chose the name "Juniper" to represent the company's values and mission, which are focused on delivering high-performance networking and cybersecurity solutions that are flexible, reliable, and adaptable to the evolving needs of businesses and organizations.
In an interview with Forbes, one of the co-founders of Juniper Networks, Pradeep Sindhu, explained the inspiration behind the company's name: "The juniper tree is one of the few trees that can grow anywhere in the world, from the Arctic Circle to the Sahara Desert. It's incredibly resilient, and it's an adaptable, versatile plant. We wanted a name that reflected our values, which are about delivering high-performance, adaptable networking solutions that can operate in any environment."
Today, Juniper Networks is a global technology company that provides networking, security, and cloud solutions to businesses and organizations of all sizes. The company's name has become synonymous with innovation, reliability, and high-performance technology solutions.

I tried to find some meaning to the code word "Juniper" but haven't found anything meaningful other than

I know in the past Tesla's codenames have had some meaning (at least in relation to each other):

OG Roadster = Darkstar
OG Model S = Whitestar
OG Model 3 = Bluestar

But no real pattern with revision codenames:

2019 Model S/X = Raven
2023? Model 3 = Highland
2024 Model Y = Juniper

I'm tempted to think that Highland and Juniper are just arbitrary names for alphabetical codes H and J. Begs the question whether there's a project for the letter I that we haven't heard of.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. Teslascope's cracked the code for recent codenames:

Last edited:

Although using ChatGPT, I asked: How did Juniper networks (Technology company) get its name?
Juniper Networks was named after the Juniper tree, which is known for its resilience, adaptability, and ability to thrive in a variety of environments. The founders of the company chose the name "Juniper" to represent the company's values and mission, which are focused on delivering high-performance networking and cybersecurity solutions that are flexible, reliable, and adaptable to the evolving needs of businesses and organizations.
In an interview with Forbes, one of the co-founders of Juniper Networks, Pradeep Sindhu, explained the inspiration behind the company's name: "The juniper tree is one of the few trees that can grow anywhere in the world, from the Arctic Circle to the Sahara Desert. It's incredibly resilient, and it's an adaptable, versatile plant. We wanted a name that reflected our values, which are about delivering high-performance, adaptable networking solutions that can operate in any environment."
Today, Juniper Networks is a global technology company that provides networking, security, and cloud solutions to businesses and organizations of all sizes. The company's name has become synonymous with innovation, reliability, and high-performance technology solutions.
Elon was probably drinking Gin at the time.

Matrix headlights -->wait--->tesla vision ---> Wait----> HW4 ---> Wait ---> Project Juniper ---> wait

These cars are rolling cell phones. You'll wait forever if you are always waiting for the latest and greatest. If you are worried, just lease the car
These cars are amazing. I was one of the fence sitters for close to a year for the reasons you cited. I made the move and took delivery a little over a week ago in part because the price cut was worth it for me. Now if you finance, maybe interest rates will slightly correct ;) but not by much and you can refinance. I’ve never owned a Tesla and am now sitting in a MYP. I am an attention to details person, make thoughtful decisions and find enjoyment with nerding out on tech. I had read so much leading up to this purchase… I had convinced myself I was make a bad decision even driving to the delivery center. I walked around my car and felt like I won the lottery cause it was without any clear issues. I was coming from a 2016 Acura ILX. The car, drive quality and tech in the vehicle is great. The suspension in the MY is so soft; I almost wish it was firmer. I can’t see anyone finding this ride harsh. I expected a rigid go-cart from reading these forums with canyons for panel gaps and skid marks on the seats. The quality is up to snuff. The paint work is beautiful - multi white. I can’t see the “threat” of HW4 being of any significant relevance for general daily use. FSD without significant kinks won’t be here before you are looking for a new car anyway. Autopilot is fantastic at its current iteration. On non highway roads I’ve see it get confused with lane merges or roundabouts but that’s a pure software issue, not hardware. Long winded way of saying, don’t sit around and wait, get out there and enjoy this car! I’m generally a happier person for having made the purchase :)

My current 2022 Model Y Long Range is my stepping stone toward a car that I love. (I just like my MY.) One of my long term condenders is the Model S, since that at least has a few things I miss, like the forward instrumentation, SiriusXM, and rear seat climate controls. I am waiting to see what HW4 adds when the Cybertruck gets it... if that brings rear cross traffic warning and a nose camera for 3D surround view, then my next car will likely be a Tesla with HW4. My gut is that the updated Model Y will be the first MY to get HW4, so this year will likely be a preview to what will be coming in the MY.

According to this write-up, they want to get the revamp into production by the fall of 2024. So basically two years from now, they'll have a refresh. That's way too long in the horizon to base any purchasing decision today on what Tesla might do in the future. Without anything more than pure conjecture, it looks like the next Model Y to buy hitting the sweet spot of innovations and interior improvements, and letting the bugs work out of the system, would be sometime in 2025-2026.

Reactions: RedSupraT
Unless I'm reading it wrong, Tesla might begin producing a refreshed Model Y with a goal some time in October 2024, so a little less than 2 years from now. If that is their aspirational goal leaked to the blogs and influencers, safe to assume that it is quite a long time before we ever see a refreshed Juniper Model Y.