Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was kinda waiting on Juniper too. But honestly Highland is kinda meh. At the core of a car is the drivetrain/batteries. Highland uses the exact same setup there that the M3 uses. Lots of quality of life updates. One more camera than MY which will help with low speed driving (summon) and parking measurements but I don't see it being very helpful for FSD (maybe not used at all at 10mph+). Need to see the HW4 setup but so no radar so likely not much more capable with FSD than today's MY.
Many ICE cars traditionally get a facelift/refresh halfway through their run before a redesigned model. I've seen Highland described as that refresh as well as a redesign. Until we get them in customers hands I'm not sure which it is closer to but so far I'm in the refresh camp. Nicer in lots of ways but basically the same car as before. (FSD ability being an unknowable wildcard)
As far as speculation on when Juniper may come. Highland won't be released in North America until 2024. Cyber truck needs to ramp and be released which seems like will be soon. Juniper has zero photos of it on the roads yet-think how long we've been seeing cybertrucks and Highlands around? I find it hard to imagine they will be able to get it out before 2025. But if you sit on the sidelines there are going to be a LOT of other brand options between now and then coming to market.

I was kinda waiting on Juniper too. But honestly Highland is kinda meh. At the core of a car is the drivetrain/batteries. Highland uses the exact same setup there that the M3 uses. Lots of quality of life updates. One more camera than MY which will help with low speed driving (summon) and parking measurements but I don't see it being very helpful for FSD (maybe not used at all at 10mph+). Need to see the HW4 setup but so no radar so likely not much more capable with FSD than today's MY.
Many ICE cars traditionally get a facelift/refresh halfway through their run before a redesigned model. I've seen Highland described as that refresh as well as a redesign. Until we get them in customers hands I'm not sure which it is closer to but so far I'm in the refresh camp. Nicer in lots of ways but basically the same car as before. (FSD ability being an unknowable wildcard)
As far as speculation on when Juniper may come. Highland won't be released in North America until 2024. Cyber truck needs to ramp and be released which seems like will be soon. Juniper has zero photos of it on the roads yet-think how long we've been seeing cybertrucks and Highlands around? I find it hard to imagine they will be able to get it out before 2025. But if you sit on the sidelines there are going to be a LOT of other brand options between now and then coming to market.
I just traded in my M3 for a LR MY. IMHO, even if the Juniper was coming out now, I would have waited a year or 2 for that line to settle in. So I’m happy to wait 3-5 years and see what Tesla develops AND I’m really impressed with what Kia, Hyundai and Polestar are doing. In 3-5 years I see myself trading in and it might not be a Tesla. Once the charging system gets better for non Tesla Cars, I have a feeling this might be my last one. But who knows. For now, I’m going to enjoy this new MY and see what the future brings.

I plan to buy MYP this month but already see speculation that the Y will get the same major refresh (front, tail lights, vented seats, rear screen, etc.) as M3 very soon. I understand changed are never ending, which is good, but this one may be worth holding out for. What is the speculation when this will happen to the Y? Thanks.
Soon? 12-14 months away.

Changes to Texas (capacity expansion speculated by Joe Tegtmeyer). Production (Cybertruck & Y) seems to be paused as lots of Tesla Automation* kit is being installed.

*Grohmann - Germany

About 3 mins in for overview
8 minutes for detail
14 minutes outbound car parking (near empty)
21 minutes staff car parks less full than usual
24 minutes Megapacks & electrical gubbins
27 minutes new roof vents

Could MY pause be Juniper related?

Reactions: richyrich
I figure Juniper basically aligns Model Y with Highland 3. Revised nose/headlights/tail-lights, elimination of turn-signal stalks, rear screen, ventilated seats, rear laminated glass, revised suspension, and the same assortment of materials and quality improvements.

Tesla prefers to unify on a single set of parts whenever they can. Sharing pieces with the 3 would make sense.

The only thing I'd vote against there is the ongoing stupidity of stalklessness. Shifting does NOT belong on the center screen. bleh. Perhaps the aftermarket will eventually address this. It would be both sad and amazing to have Sexy Buttons to get a proper turn signal and gear selector

Could MY pause be Juniper related?
Could be.

If Brian White or others with supplier links find out that Highland designated parts are sent to Texas it either means Juniper Model Y or Highland Model 3 in Texas. I say Juniper as Model Y/3 parts may be largely interchangeable for Juniper/Highland.

Overall, my view is that Tesla will surprise us...

Could be.

If Brian White or others with supplier links find out that Highland designated parts are sent to Texas it either means Juniper Model Y or Highland Model 3 in Texas. I say Juniper as Model Y/3 parts may be largely interchangeable for Juniper/Highland.

Overall, my view is that Tesla will surprise us...

I would expect them to finish Highland global rollout before getting serious on Juniper. So like next year, not now

Yeah no one’s even spotted camouflaged test mules for Juniper yet, and we were seeing those for months and months before Highland was revealed. And we’re still not getting Highland in the US for another 4-5 months yet. Even though they share a lot, the Y is still a different vehicle that requires its own development and testing/certification. I’d bet good money that the earliest we see Juniper is Q4 2024, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was early 2025.

I plan to buy MYP this month but already see speculation that the Y will get the same major refresh (front, tail lights, vented seats, rear screen, etc.) as M3 very soon. I understand changed are never ending, which is good, but this one may be worth holding out for. What is the speculation when this will happen to the Y? Thanks.

Prices could also go back to 65K+ range - just something to keep in mind. Or buy now and upgrade in 2-3 yrs time when Vision is better and front cameras and HW4 are actually supported in software.

Reactions: fsb1
I would expect them to finish Highland global rollout before getting serious on Juniper. So like next year, not now
Tesla is like a woman and can do many things at the same time. Not like a man, just one thing at a time. Or maybe a better analogy is like a multifaceted diamond reflecting in many directions not just a single beam of light. Tesla is serious about many things of which we can only guess about on TMC.

Is there any battery or major range change for the future Juniper Model Y?
Assuming same level of update as the M3, then the battery will be the same but looks like the M3 refresh is going to have 4-6% more range (depending on where you read). Assume the refreshed MY would be about the same.

I don't like the foglight deletion - or rather, the move to put them into the headlight module. It's going to be too high up for real use in actual fog. But the interior updates are really great, with better sound system, ventilated seats and rear screen.

Assuming same level of update as the M3, then the battery will be the same but looks like the M3 refresh is going to have 4-6% more range (depending on where you read). Assume the refreshed MY would be about the same.

I don't like the foglight deletion - or rather, the move to put them into the headlight module. It's going to be too high up for real use in actual fog. But the interior updates are really great, with better sound system, ventilated seats and rear screen.
We don’t know if the sound system is better. More speakers? Yes. Better quality speakers? That is still to be determined. It is entirely possible that Tesla is using less quality speakers.

As usual, there will always be rumors and speculation about future products There will always be reasons to not order for a time, in order to get all the preceived goodness coming down the pike.

Imagine Tesla will want to get the new Highland into full speed production quickly. Will use lessons learned there make the roll out of Juniper as smooth as possible. Expect that Juniper will be used to introduce any updated driveline components as well. Then those upgraded batteries, motors, electronics etc. will be incorporated into the Model 3 as volumes of components become available.

Tesla is like poetry in motion, the way the innovate and iterate improvements constantly.

I know in the past Tesla's codenames have had some meaning (at least in relation to each other):

OG Roadster = Darkstar
OG Model S = Whitestar
OG Model 3 = Bluestar

But no real pattern with revision codenames:

2019 Model S/X = Raven
2023? Model 3 = Highland
2024 Model Y = Juniper

I'm tempted to think that Highland and Juniper are just arbitrary names for alphabetical codes H and J. Begs the question whether there's a project for the letter I that we haven't heard of.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. Teslascope's cracked the code for recent codenames:

Henry Ford’s Highland Park factory, built in 1907, was the first car factory to feature a moving production line, completely changing how cars were manufactured.

Reactions: AJ..
Basically the title.

If they’re serious about adding a front bumper camera (or three in some speculation/rumor articles I’ve seen), does this make the 2023 MY an objectively bad purchase? Like many others, I rushed to get the MY delivered to me before March 31st since there was so much uncertainty at the time. We now know that it would’ve been fine to wait but that’s besides the point.

The fact that this car has NO USS or front bumper cameras is insanity especially since the pitch was that Tesla Vision is “the future”. How exactly are you going to create a vision based formula if you don’t even have a camera in one of the most obvious blind spots?

For the record, I LOVE my MYLR and drive it all the time. I don’t really care about having a front camera too much but I won’t deny that it would come in hand in NUMEROUS parking and reversing situations. Add in the fact that having a front camera would help with resale value compared to these new cars that will have them…it just seems like 2023 cars were a bad investment if this is what Tesla’s plans are for future models.

Is there any hope for a retrofit for a front bumper camera on 2023MYs? This was honestly one of my hidden fears from buying a car without a front bumper camera or USS and it looks like it’s coming true. Any thoughts, rumblings, updates regarding this? I’m sure there’s thousands of us wondering the same thing.