Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“….if the statement from Tesla is to be believed” ….we’d have been driving on full FSD since 2017, the Roadster 2 would be in it’s second/third year of production and Robotaxis would be everywhere, but, alas, I digress….
Any product requiring regulatory approval naturally carries a high degree of uncertainty, particularly those that are high on the innovative spectrum. Elon can set expectations and hope it influences progress of his Tesla operations; regarding federal agencies however he can only tries to put them on notice. The more he does however, the more they become motivated to screw Tesla. Please realize it’s not entirely on Tesla. Those they can control such as opening the supercharger network to Ford are delivered timely; don’t see you acknowledging those.

Have their been any updates on the status of Juniper? I've heard mixed things, from no refresh this year to pilot production starting in China later this year with a NA launch Q1 2025.

I'm in the market for a vehicle but am holding off for the refresh.

Has the retooling shutdown begun?

Nope, did you read what you linked to? They’re reducing days from 6.5/week to 5/week, that wouldn’t make sense for retooling. Still two 11.5 hour shifts per day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger
I'm interested in a Model Y with a slightly nicer interior, 2nd row touchscreen for kids, and quiet cabin at highway speeds (like a Lexus). The Model 3 Highland that I test drove has all of these features today. I assume the Y refresh (Juniper) will have the same changes and likely more. Does anyone have opinions on which one of the following will happen for the U.S. market?

Juniper Y sooner - order in September 2024, take delivery in November 2024.
Juniper Y later - order in February 2025, take delivery in May 2025.
Complete Y redesign with 48V architecture and steer by wire - one of the "new models" Elon mentioned on Q1 earnings call. Fall 2025?

I'm leaning toward Juniper sooner, since the 3/Y share half of their parts, and there are two separate Model Y factories in the U.S.

I'm interested in a Model Y with a slightly nicer interior, 2nd row touchscreen for kids, and quiet cabin at highway speeds (like a Lexus). The Model 3 Highland that I test drove has all of these features today. I assume the Y refresh (Juniper) will have the same changes and likely more. Does anyone have opinions on which one of the following will happen for the U.S. market?

Juniper Y sooner - order in September 2024, take delivery in November 2024.
Juniper Y later - order in February 2025, take delivery in May 2025.
Complete Y redesign with 48V architecture and steer by wire - one of the "new models" Elon mentioned on Q1 earnings call. Fall 2025?

I'm leaning toward Juniper sooner, since the 3/Y share half of their parts, and there are two separate Model Y factories in the U.S.
Would love to see an extended range model Y. We would trade immediately.

Does anyone have opinions on which one of the following will happen for the U.S. market?
The Model Y is about three years younger than the Model 3 and continues to sell extremely well. With Tesla's recent staff reduction and alleged focus on lower cost models I doubt you'll see any significant updates to the Model Y any time soon.

I think a U.S. Juniper Y launch in the next 6 months is likely, due to the fact that the Model 3 and Model Y have always shared over 50% of their parts. The parts suppliers for the Highland 3 have been in mass production for over 6 months now in Asia and now the U.S., so Tesla could migrate the Y to Juniper to leverage the common parts supply between 3 and Y, while simultaneously getting a bunch of new orders from all the people who drove the Model 3 Highland and are now waiting for the Y Refresh. Tesla could even start the early Y testing on the production lines in Austin, while Fremont continues to churn out the current Y in high numbers.

Reactions: HitchHiker71