Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My $250 deposit [why can I not get my deposit back?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas contract does not allow that, but people do it anyway, mostly by giving away the entire tesla account the reservation is on. If you have other things in your tesla account, from what I read here, it requires some degree of trust between the two parties.

Since teslas contract says you are not supposed to do it, its not something I personally would ever consider, but the number of people posting here "WTS reservation to XXX" tells me that its possible at least at some point, till tesla shuts it down. I am hopeful that sometime soon we stop allowing people to post about that here, though.
Hey there, If I were to cancel my reservation (before getting the VIN on the MYLR- placed in April) am I only losing the $250 (non-refundable) or will I also be charged the $2500 destination fee? Or does this only apply after delivery? Thank you!

Gotchya! Otherwise if I wait and get the VIN THEN I’ll be charge the rest fee…just making sure I understand :) Thank You!
Actually even after VIN assignment you can walk away from the deal and only owe the $250 order charge (which is now no longer a "deposit," it's an order charge which is collected even if you go through with order). All the other fees are due at delivery (including the destination charge). At least that was my experience at end of 2020 with delivery in CA.

You can even reject delivery (I believe up to 3 times). If you reject too many times however, you may be put on a blacklist for that model.

Reactions: kaimanson
Actually even after VIN assignment you can walk away from the deal and only owe the $250 order charge (which is now no longer a "deposit," it's an order charge which is collected even if you go through with order). All the other fees are due at delivery (including the destination charge). At least that was my experience at end of 2020 with delivery in CA.

You can even reject delivery (I believe up to 3 times). If you reject too many times however, you may be put on a blacklist for that model.
Ah...thank you so much for clarifying :)

Reactions: kaimanson
Destination fee is $1200 (in the USA) last time I checked, not $2500.

and even though the contract says you may be responsibile fore the destination fee it doesn't happen because demand is so high. The only time you would ever be on the hook for the destination fee is if they shipped the car to your SC then you cancelled your order. Then if there was no one else in the area waiting for the same configuration or willing to purchase that configuration and they had to ship it to a different location you could be on the hook for the difference in shipping fees.

The non-refundable possible is because they can and can get away with it. It's free $ for them but at the same time takes some variability/guesswork out about whether someone has "skin in the game" vs. who doesn't, likely reducing their cancel/people who don't follow thru rate.

Back to the can get away with it, it doesn't seem like it's turning away that many people from putting in their orders anyway.
No it's because people took advantage of the $100 refundable deposit thing. People would just pay $100 and sit on a spot and never buy. Then they get their money back.

Reactions: jboy210
So i ordered a new tesla last year around the same time. Sept 2021.
I work for the government as a federal civilian employee and i got called to do some international work in the uk.

I couldn't accept delivery of the car since i was international. Did not have my phone with me for security reasons when i went to the uk so tesla couldn't get a hold of me and i guess my car went to someone else.

Long story short. I went into a local tesla store and they said i could not get a refund for the $250.00USD nor could i get the car at the old price which was almost 5k cheaper.

There has to be so way to either get a refund of the 250 or get the car at the old price?
The leave was unexepcted. I had to be in the uk within a 24hour notice window.

If the estimated delivery dates were reasonably accurate I could understand Tesla refusing to refund in all circumstances. But they aren't remotely accurate for a lot of customers. And to make it worse the dates constantly change making it impossible to plan ahead.

I had my car totaled in late June and ordered a brand new 2022 to replace it. When I ordered my EDD was Jul - Sep. It quickly moved to October, then November, then finally late December. So I ordered a used one and called Tesla before cancelling the old one. Given that my delivery window got pushed back nearly 4 months in the first 3 weeks from the time I ordered, I had no vehicle (because my car was totaled), and I ordered a used one directly from Tesla I just asked that they credit my $250 deposit towards the used one. It really pissed me off that they wouldn't be reasonable about it and do that.

What are you gonna do though? It is the best car for the money and I really wanted another one so I put up with it. Free $250 for Tesla and someone else gets a P3D+ in midnight silver a little earlier than expected.