Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3 goes offline since last Firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

Since my last firmware update my Model 3 goes “offline” every other day or so. This according to Teslafi. I have full WiFi bars in my garage where it’s parked overnight. My car doesn’t sleep when it goes offline. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Since my last firmware update my Model 3 goes “offline” every other day or so. This according to Teslafi. I have full WiFi bars in my garage where it’s parked overnight. My car doesn’t sleep when it goes offline. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I’ve noticed mine offline once in a while, but how do you know it isn’t sleeping when it is offline?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve noticed mine offline once in a while, but how do you know it isn’t sleeping when it is offline?
Teslafi reports that whenever my car is offline it doesn’t sleep. When I run the iPhone app it goes back online and shortly thereafter it goes to sleep. I just forgot my usual network and logged back on. We’ll see if that helps.

Teslafi reports that whenever my car is offline it doesn’t sleep. When I run the iPhone app it goes back online and shortly thereafter it goes to sleep. I just forgot my usual network and logged back on. We’ll see if that helps.

If the car is offline, TeslaFi doesn’t know if it asleep or not :)

If you see battery drain overnight while offline that’s a clue it is awake and offline, if you don’t then it is probably asleep and offline.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
If the car is offline, TeslaFi doesn’t know if it asleep or not :)

If you see battery drain overnight while offline that’s a clue it is awake and offline, if you don’t then it is probably asleep and offline.
It doesn’t sleep when it’s offline. If I wake it with the Tesla app it goes to sleep shortly thereafter.

It doesn’t sleep when it’s offline. If I wake it with the Tesla app it goes to sleep shortly thereafter.

I don’t see this behaviour personally. I’ve seen it “offline” all night with no battery drain. I’m pretty sure that means it’s sleeping.

Why wouldn’t it sleep when offline? Say you park in the forest with no cell signal or wifi ... you think it would never sleep?

• “Online” means it is awake and connected.
  • “Asleep” means it is not awake, and possibly still connected (at last check anyways). It has to be connected to respond to the “wake up” command :)
  • “Offline” means it’s not connected, and you do not know whether it is asleep or not just from that alone.

You need some other means to judge if it is asleep.

The app uses the same state as TeslaFi from the API. When it is “offline” if it doesn’t say “waking up” that could be because it doesn’t send the wake up command since it doesn’t know if it is asleep or not.

Also, if you are within Bluetooth range and your key state in the app switches to “connected” I believe that wakes up the car via Bluetooth, bypassing the Tesla servers entirely.

If you are out of Bluetooth range when the car is offline, if it is truly offline and has no network connection then it won’t wake up.

I noticed mine not being able to connect to my WiFi after the latest update even though I park it in the same place every night and it is basically right under the router. I ended up doing the Brake and steering wheel combo reset and it now seems back to normal and connecting right when I pull in.

Mine is doing the same thing since an update last week. And continues to do it after an update yesterday. Happens whether I'm home on WiFi or parked at work. Always have plenty of LTE and it's on WiFi at home. So this is nothing to do with your WiFi or actual network connection. After I park, TeslaFi reports it offline. This happens 1-2 times per day. And it never happened before last week.

It's obviously something just not reporting properly in the API. I can still open the app or any other API connection, and the car wakes up and begins reporting again. So the car is not actually offline or disconnected. Based on power loss, it is going to sleep and being otherwise normal as expected. Everything is working normally, but TeslaFi is seeing it as offline for some reason. If I connect with the app or otherwise wake the car up, it will then go back to sleep without falsely appearing as offline usually, until next time.

I'm going to try rebooting everything on lunch later and see if that makes the problem go away. You know, turn it off and turn it back on again. Fixes everything.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Mine is doing the same thing since an update last week. And continues to do it after an update yesterday. Happens whether I'm home on WiFi or parked at work. Always have plenty of LTE and it's on WiFi at home. So this is nothing to do with your WiFi or actual network connection. After I park, TeslaFi reports it offline. This happens 1-2 times per day. And it never happened before last week.

It's obviously something just not reporting properly in the API. I can still open the app or any other API connection, and the car wakes up and begins reporting again. So the car is not actually offline or disconnected. Based on power loss, it is going to sleep and being otherwise normal as expected. Everything is working normally, but TeslaFi is seeing it as offline for some reason. If I connect with the app or otherwise wake the car up, it will then go back to sleep without falsely appearing as offline usually, until next time.

I'm going to try rebooting everything on lunch later and see if that makes the problem go away. You know, turn it off and turn it back on again. Fixes everything.
Thanks very much Pedals. While it’s plugged in it doesn’t seem to lose any range. But since I unplugged the charging cable the range loss is approximately 1 mile per hour this morning.

Ah, I also have Reset Idle Timer When Offline unchecked in the sleep settings. So once it thinks the car is offline, I believe TeslaFi stops polling. When that is checked, TeslaFi will keep polling the car, which prevents the car from sleeping.
Just checked my sleep settings and unchecked it too. Thanks very much for the tip. Fingers crossed.

It’s not just TeslaFi seeing it as “offline”, the Tesla server reports the car’s state in the ‘vehicles’ API to TeslaFi as “online”, “offline”, or “asleep”.

So Tesla itself is saying the car is ‘offline’. TeslaFi just reports what Tesla tells it.

It’s not always the case that “offline” will respond to the app or wake up. I’ve seen this, but I’ve also seen where it doesn’t respond. App spins forever. API returns timeout errors.

• Helpful
Reactions: denouche
Ah, I also have Reset Idle Timer When Offline unchecked in the sleep settings. So once it thinks the car is offline, I believe TeslaFi stops polling. When that is checked, TeslaFi will keep polling the car, which prevents the car from sleeping.

If the car is actually offline, polling the car just returns errors from the Tesla server . If it just thinks it’s offline but it’s back online/asleep and just hasn’t refreshed yet, then polling data from the car will work (after one failure maybe if offline-asleep).

Any time someone complains about car not sleeping Inhave to remember to tell them to just turn off 3rd party apps :)

I am querying the API myself so I don’t think about this.

The only problem with this checkbox sound seems like if 5E9, car temporarily drops into an offline-awake state, you could miss some drive or charge data.

e.g. Yesterday I saw my car go offline while in the middle of charging :)
If that lasted only a minute for whatever reason, you’d want to keep retrying and catch the rest of the charge session.

I’d say Tesla server-side offline doesn’t guarantee the car’s state at all, it could be a large number of variants:
  1. offline, car offline-asleep
  2. offline, car offline-awake
  3. offline, car online-awake (server hasn’t realized car is back online)
  4. offline, car online-asleep (server hasn’t realized car is back online)

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3
Interestingly, after the firmware upgrade last night, I just had my car report for the first time that it went asleep in my underground garage at work. It's always been "offline" when parked there, so not sure why I'm the special one today, but just FYI (and an indication that bad things are in store for me to even out the Universe!).

I don’t see this behaviour personally. I’ve seen it “offline” all night with no battery drain. I’m pretty sure that means it’s sleeping.
Why wouldn’t it sleep when offline? Say you park in the forest with no cell signal or wifi ... you think it would never sleep?
  • “Online” means it is awake and connected.
  • “Asleep” means it is not awake, and possibly still connected (at last check anyways). It has to be connected to respond to the “wake up” command :)
  • “Offline” means it’s not connected, and you do not know whether it is asleep or not just from that alone.
You need some other means to judge if it is asleep.

The app uses the same state as TeslaFi from the API. When it is “offline” if it doesn’t say “waking up” that could be because it doesn’t send the wake up command since it doesn’t know if it is asleep or not.

Also, if you are within Bluetooth range and your key state in the app switches to “connected” I believe that wakes up the car via Bluetooth, bypassing the Tesla servers entirely.
If you are out of Bluetooth range when the car is offline, if it is truly offline and has no network connection then it won’t wake up.

I'm glad you said it... and probably better than I would. In my case on several random occasions (maybe average once a month), I get a TeslaFi email stating the car is offline. Twice I was out of town and when I got back more than 7 days later, I saw the car had not communicated with anything (wifi or otherwise), and yes I know if it is communicating by LTE or not. Then I check the battery status and see it actually has less drain than during a typical sleep state; maybe because it isn't using power to communicate.

One time during out of town (car at home), I got a message it was offline, and then 3 days later, it started back up by itself. No one at home. No one using the app to wake it up.
Bottom line... I have never seen a case in my car where it wasn't "sleeping" and still had less drain during that time.